The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » The Holy Grail of Sound Systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Frank.

It's a good idea to have the cables needed to interface to in-house systems. In this way you avoid to carry your speakers from the van and only carry the microphone and receiver.

What I use is an ART DTI DI box:

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?......3&id=106

It's always plugged to my little board so I can interface to XLR, RCA and JACK (and in Spain there are no more options unless very old DIN)
The unit provides galvanic (trafo) isolation so it avoids ground loops and hum.

And yes, I also go for lavalier microphones better than handheld. Headsets give you more power-before-feedback but you are supposed to be magician and don't need for aids to be heard...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a toolbag that has all the necessary cables with my wireless sitting right on top of all. It's really the only thing I ever pull out of there lately.

... and magicians aren't supposed to have feedback either. Smile

Even though I use a headset, if I asked the 300 people that came to my show on Friday what kind of microphone I used I'm pretty darn sure almost everyone would say... "um.. I dunno"

how much white noise does that little artproaudio gizmo put into the signal?
is it quiet? a lot of times, those little helpful gizmos are really noisy.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
No noise. Dot.

Well, really no perceptible noise. It's passive (transformer coupled) so perhaps can put a little out-of-linearity on weak signals.

I do use it also for my keyboards setup when playing with my band with three more DI boxes from ART for the guitars and bass and one more from DOD brand and you can be sure they are audio-transparent.

One more advantage is when there are problems with electric system (when you get electric "hits" in your hands or mouth when taking microphones) Galvanic isolation protects you and your equipment from these problems.

And it's very cheap.
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
This is my audio rack.

You can see a little mixer, then two ART boxes (I usually only use the dual box) with 10m of cable to plug my powered speaker or to plug to in-house system.

Over the mixer in a tray there are two RF receivers (lappel and handheld microphone) velcroed.

And over the rack a sub-notebook with the audio cur system I use and the remote.

It's only 3 rack unit height and light.

Of course, I can also put a receiver off the rack and velcro it to the top of my powered speaker and go performing but I prefer to protect the equipment in cases.

Click here to view attached image.
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I just recently purchased the DA12 cardioid from Da-Cappo and I am very pleased with it. I have walked right in front of my speakers and had very little feedback issues. The only time there was feedback was when I was operating it on full, which I would never do in a live situation. Also this is a great mic because unlike the Countryman mics, this one has an earpiece that won't fall off your ear or even move around.
Rob Pond
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » The Holy Grail of Sound Systems (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.7 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL