The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Do a Parody of Magicians Act. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
You know Weird Al Yanchovic does parodies of almost everyone. Well why don't we think of ways to do parodies of people like Copperfield, seigfried and Roy, and examples like that.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
They've been done. Rudy Coby did a Copperfield parody "Magic Dave" on one of his specials. Henning and S&R were parodied in their day on Saturday Night Live. There are Criss Angel and David Blaine parodies all over Youtube. A classic magic parody act is the Amazing Ballantine. Weird Al specializes in parodies that EVERYONE knows. Not too many magicians fall into that category.
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of thorsten dankworth
You want a parody of David Copperfield?
Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKqmdwSMn7g It´s not Weird Al but an belgium comedian.

or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8rdGRrRrY

or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaOqxpEIeBI&feature=related
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I can't find him on youtube but he's been linked to before...there's a guy who does a hilarious parody of every boring card act you've ever seen. There are also lot's of parodies of the traditional magician about.
Jeremy Lion does a good parody/character piece of a children's entertainer.
little britain parody hypnotists.

Doesn't mean you can't do your own though.
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
I've seen a few performers that are parodies and don't even know it...Smile
Mike
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1290 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Circus Bambouk
View Profile
Loyal user
Tempe, AZ
256 Posts

Profile of Circus Bambouk
Matthew and I did a Siegfried and Roy routine on the cruise ships...big wigs, big costumes, even an inflatable tiger. We had some fun with that. The tech folks really helped us out with vari-lites, fog, etc. And we pumped the Michael Jackson 'Mind is the magic' song out the megawatt sound system...oh, those were the days.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mac_Stone... Uh, I think the foul language on your link is obsolete and something that puts him in the category of people without any idea of what comedy material is.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-05 15:04, Mac_Stone wrote:
Heres my favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwSXm8BZvAU

I would prefer Amazing Jonathan.
Just to say Fu.. you" all the time could be a kind of running gag, but not a very good one.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm not bothered by the swearing I think it would be rather odd to parody the anarchic idiocy of punk without it and the repetition of the same phrase makes it funnier to me and makes sense for that character.

On the other hand, some bits were a bit flat although there were a couple of good gags in there.
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-06 12:40, magicgeorge wrote:
I'm not bothered by the swearing I think it would be rather odd to parody the anarchic idiocy of punk without it and the repetition of the same phrase makes it funnier to me and makes sense for that character.

On the other hand, some bits were a bit flat although there were a couple of good gags in there.

Ok, if this act should simply be a parody of a cliche punk, the "f... off word" is a "must have", although not just punks use this word inflationary.
But in my opinion he reduce everything to that one word and this is neither original nor very funny. It´s just, as you already mentioned, flat and cheap.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1290 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 03:53, thorsten dankworth wrote:
But in my opinion he reduce everything to that one word and this is neither original nor very funny. It´s just, as you already mentioned, flat and cheap.

The crowd seemed to think it was hilarious, and I do too. Unless one can entertain a room full of people like he did, regardless of how he did it, I don't think its anyones place to criticize.
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-07 22:26, Mac_Stone wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 03:53, thorsten dankworth wrote:

The crowd seemed to think it was hilarious, and I do too. Unless one can entertain a room full of people like he did, regardless of how he did it, I don't think its anyones place to criticize.

If you like it, fine. I don´t like it very much and I tried to explain why.
I have the same right to say that I don´t like something as you have the right to say you like it very much.
I don´t want to persuade anybody not to like the video, I just share my opinion - as you too.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
262 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Comedian Demitri Martin does a great parody of Copperfield trying to break up with a girlfriend. I've seen it either on his website or the Comedy Central site.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 10:20, Lion Dope wrote:
I've seen a few performers that are parodies and don't even know it...Smile
Mike

Mike, leave me out of this. Of course, another great parody act is Kohl and Co.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
When I was working for/with Kozak and Amazing Johnathan we did a parody on magicians called The Cheesy Magician. That show, Maybem, was designed by Pete Biro. It was in the early 1990s I believe.

The Cheesy Magician came out on stage and started doing some corny magic shop prop magic and Koz and AJ stormed in from the back and shot TCM with crossbows leaving TCM lying on the stage with a chest full of arrows. It was the act's opening routine. TCM was played by a woman, Maggie O'Neill who was also the first Psychic Maggie.

Little know is that Psychic Tanya was first Psychic Tabman, then Psychic Maggie and then, and then...

Sounds like the warm up for the old song, Along Came Jones.

It's all in the book.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
And there is always the Blaine parody :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxu_MQST......aynext=1
We have to admit that, in is first shows, Blaine had an awkward way to stare at people and at the camera.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 00:53, tabman wrote.....That show, Maybem, was designed by Pete Biro. It was in the early 1990s I believe.

Umm. Actually, the show was MAYHEM.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 09:13, HMAC wrote:
And there is always the Blaine parody :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxu_MQST......aynext=1
We have to admit that, in is first shows, Blaine had an awkward way to stare at people and at the camera.

This is my favorite parody. And with over 24 million views, I'd say it's pretty popular with the general public.
Timothy James
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
One of the funniest parody acts I've seen filled with "inside" magic jokes is "The Great Normando" who performed at FCM in 2008. Just a hoot. He wears a jump suit with obvious body makeup with his V front, and constantly makes huge magical jestures. For one parody effect I remember, for example, a spectator tore off a corner of a dollar bill. When the selected lemon was cut open, there inside was the corner of the Jack of Spades instead. Good stuff like that. Catch that act if you can, a great act for magic conventions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Do a Parody of Magicians Act. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL