We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Ipod and Ijet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, so I finally used the my "new" music system: the Ipod and Ijet. By the way, I have the old Ijet that only works with Ipod 1 & 2. I believe there is a new Ijet that work with nanos etc.

Anyway, now that I've tried it I have a couple questions for the experts on this thread. Is there a battery drain by keeping the Ipod plugged into the Ijet or should I unplug it at the end of the performance day?

FIRST PROBLEM: Also, the first show I used it on was awful (from a music standpoint). I couldn't get the thing to play the tracks in the order I made them!! It was so frustrating, I finally just did the show sans music. I later discovered I had somehow put the Ipod into "random play" mode. I guess that is one of the buttons on the Ijet remote.

CURRENT PROBLEM: before a show, when I select a playlist, it seems like I have to hit the actuall button on the Ipod to really start the first song on that playlist, otherwise, if I use the Ijet to start things off, it starts playing songs from other playlists, even though I have scrolled through to the playlist for the show I am currently doing. Is there something I'm missing about how to make sure I'm really in that playlist; it is the one that's on the screen. How can it show one playlist on the Ipod screen, and then start playing tracks from a different playlist? Or tracks that are not at the begining of the currently-displayed playlist?

Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Jim,

You got to learn how to use the IPOD. Spend some time with it.

It sounds like your hitting shuffle and not loading the playlist properly.

Your playlist should be set to:

Silent
Song #1
Silent
Song #2
Silent
Song #3
Silent

Your Silent track can be as long as you need it to be. My silent track is 1 hour.

Here is what I recommend you do to set-up the unit before a show.
1) ALWAYS Restart the IPOD
2) Plugin IJET remote or leave it plugin during Restart of IPOD
3) Load Playlist properly
4) Let Silent track play.

Remember all your doing with the IJET is pressing Next Track.

DON'T Press Play/Pause during your show or Pause the Silent Track.

The Silent Track prevents the IPOD from sleeping.

Try it out and let us know if you still have problems.

G0THIKE
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I found that if you hit different combinations of buttons on the iJet, then it will put the iPod into different modes. You may have hit more than one button at the same time and that is what made it go into shuffle mode.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, guys.
I had two perfect shows with the ipod / ijet combo. I think what I have to do is to manually start the first track playing by hitting the play buttom on the ipod itself before using the ijet remote. Consequently, I took gothike's advice and added a silent track as the first track of all my playlists. However today, in front of a 250 group of preschoolers, another big problem hit!
The Ipod itself froze. The led was lit and would not go out and none of the buttons would respond. I ended up just giving up and doing a show without music. Everyone loved the show.
When I got home between shows, I stuck it into my windows computer and itunes couldn't see the ipod at first. Then itunes said it was corrupted and I should try to restore it. I tried to restore it but itunes keeps saying I'm not connected to the internet (which marks yet another problem)

Anyway, by the time I got back tonight, the ipod had finally gone dark and had the apple logo on it. It also was now miraculously responding to its buttons and I got it to play music. All the tracks are there.
Itunes still keeps saying it's not connected to the internet when I try to restore the ipod. But at least the ipod seems to be working now.

I gather that was an ipod "freeze." And to unfreeze it, I should hold down the middle and top buttons for 6 or 8 seconds?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Jim,

You got to RESTART the IPOD everytime before use.

Its clears the buffer (flushes the toilet).

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsu......ex.shtml

Restart the IPOD then connect it to Itunes.

Also you might have to upgrade the firmware on the IPOD.

Let us know what happens,

G
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, another perfect show with ipod. I guess everything is going to work okay now. (I had brought my cd player just in case though!)

I've already got the backup battery, I think I may get a second ipod as a spare. Also, how long will the battery in the ijet remote work? How will I know when it's time to replace that? Before it goes down especially!

Thanks.

Jim
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Battery devices, I ALWAYS changed my batteries before EVERY show! It's a cheap investment.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Jim...I did not have to replace the Ijet transmitter battery for about 3-4 years. The unit (reciever portion) failed with the old style Ijet...and I replaced it with the newer Ijet. I beleive the batteries in the transmitter will work just like a car lock remote. How often do you have to replace that?

Rich B.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Jack. So maybe I'll have it replaced yearly just to make sure. Right, the car lock transmitter works for a looonnnggg time.

Jim
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13416 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
JJ, talk to Haywire about the sound commander.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, Frank. What is it?

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Ipod and Ijet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL