The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The decay of the modern vocabulary. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
What I hate, is the horrible use of the word LIKE. My wife, and just about every other living female in this country over use it!

"Like OMG! Like did you see like the way he like did that? Like that was totally like crazy!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think we ALL are tired of that one!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 21:00, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Or "Stir of Echoes," starring Kevin Bacon.

If this turns into the Kevin Bacon game, I am leaving the thread LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-05-09 11:12, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 21:00, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Or "Stir of Echoes," starring Kevin Bacon.

If this turns into the Kevin Bacon game, I am leaving the thread LOL.

...says Danny Doyle, no relation to French Connection character Popeye Doyle, portrayed by Gene Hackman, who was in...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Oh, I do understand that notion. That's why I said I liked the book. I liked that it ticked me off. I respect your recognition of that as well.

Quote:
On 2009-05-08 20:34, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 15:59, critter wrote:
It had the power to tick me off.
That's sidetracking though.

Did it occur to you that Socrates was trying to tick you off? And if so, how is it sidetracking?

Talking about verbal puzzles and stuff made me think you had never actually read the book. Saying you were ticked off convinces me you indeed did read it. And I feel sorry for you if your teacher was so poor that you didn't understand that getting "ticked off" is part of what made Socrates one of the greatest teachers in human history.

Thanks!

I used to say like or uh when I was trying to form a coherent sentence. I didn't like doing it, but it was a space filler. Maybe the silence is better.

Quote:
On 2009-05-09 01:07, Brian Proctor wrote:
What I hate, is the horrible use of the word LIKE. My wife, and just about every other living female in this country over use it!

"Like OMG! Like did you see like the way he like did that? Like that was totally like crazy!"
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How many books did you read last month?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Okay, now let's try books which are not from the magic shop or job related.

The next question would be - do you look up the unfamiliar words/terms as you come across them?

The theme here is - if folks aren't reading and don't go exploring culture(s) they have no need of large vocabularies and can get by with "where is" and "how much" and some social noise to feign appreciation of ritual activities.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Tha nose note.
Rough translation..Thou knows nothing.
I was born and bred in Nottingham.When I was 8(1971) we moved to a small mining town(Eastwood)on the Nottingham Derby border.I still live there and still have problems with my accent,drifting in and out of the Nottingham and Eastwood accents.
If you wish to have a slice of my English dialect,read any D.H.Lawrence novel or poem.He was born and bred in Eastwood.
If,and when you do,you may then be able to decipher my forum name.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

That mean you speak Pakistani?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
LOL!

Love you, Jonathan.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Oh Jonathan,my aching sides!
Stone..you're a tossbag!
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
HA! I had to look up "tossbag".

Ray, have a beer:

:stout:

I'll take two myself.

:stout: Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9051 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-05-09 17:22, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

The theme here is - if folks aren't reading and don't go exploring culture(s) they have no need of large vocabularies and can get by with "where is" and "how much" and some social noise to feign appreciation of ritual activities.

In 1988 I was part of a "What's new with Computers" forum hosted by Ma Bell. One topic was the newly released "spell Check" feature for WordStar. I offered that if it became popular that many people's vocabularies would shrink to whatever was easy to find in SpellCheck. Everybody thought I was crazy.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

What does your obvious insanity have to do with others using a spell checker? I mean beyond the indication of paranoid delusions? Smile

One might just as well expect the "add" feature and online dictionaries to help folks learn new words.

So there's really a program online to check your grimiore and planned ritual to ensure it works properly? Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
I was hoping the add feature would improve my math skills.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Glottochronology - improve your maths skills and learn some formulae to quantify the decay of vocabulary over time...

Fun for the whole family.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
There's a course at my school that combines Math, English, and a study skills class. Hm, I think I see a potential solution to the problem children in my math class...

I wonder if I am just being a grouchy old man.
Going back to college after being out in a crappy job market for a few years really makes me look at things different.
I remember the stupid way I handled college the first time around. I am lucky to get another chance after all the years of mundanity. I did janitorial jobs, call center jobs, the unspeakable; call center management.
So when I see people do the dumb things I used to, well I just want to grab them and shake them. "Do you realize how bad the labour market is right now?! You need this!!!"
I guess everybody has to learn for themselves though.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not so sure you can learn about another's "culture" from a computer screen.

In fact I think we are being too attatched to these boxes in the first place. For us to actually have a "society" does not one have to be "social"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-05-09 17:22, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

The next question would be - do you look up the unfamiliar words/terms as you come across them?

One of the great features of the Kindle is that you can highlight and click any word in the books you're reading, and the dictionary definition pops up.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The decay of the modern vocabulary. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.46 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL