The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove bag pin release (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Only Bob, himself makes them out of that material. Check and see with him, he might still sell them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-05-08 06:58, Dave Scribner wrote:
Mike, what you do is fasten a safety pin to the end of the line. "sew" the dove in the bag first. Feed the safety pin end through the end of the pocket (you leave a small opening at the back of the back when sewing it in your coat)and pin it to the coat. That's makes it easy to load. The only downside is that after many performances, you have to use a new holder. The multiple "sewing" for each show will leave the top of the holder with holders and will wear out. If I were doing that many shows though, I would be changing my holders anyway.

Thanks, Dave. I see exactly what you are describing now. I just got finished reviewing Tony Clarks' "Behind The Seams" DVD. Forgetting a little means a lot. Smile I guess it is best to review all my dove DVDs.
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Encyclopedia Of Dove Magic by Marian Chavez has one from Slydini with a pin. It even shows how to do one of Slydini productions. It’s a big pin like piano wire. I’ve made and tried one from the book and it worked very well. Owln_1
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oh, so Bob's dove holders are made from nylon tricot? Wow! I have one of his somewhere if I can ever find it.

What type of release does Andy Amyx use on the "Ultra Quick Release" dove holders he sells?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

When using the guitar string, no needle is required for sewing. Actually use the string as is.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, I think I know what you mean. I was just warning those that did not know that guitar strings can be sharp and stick like a needle. I've had bloody fingers a few times because of them! ):

So you are a guitar string-snapper too? I'm not bad now, but back in the day I had a 1979 Fender Strat that was notorious for breaking the B string. I worked and worked with it and never could get it to stop. I finally changed out the entire bridge system and it solved the problem.

Is the dove holder I got from you made of the nylon tricot?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

"Is the dove holder I got from you made of the nylon tricot?"

I don't know how long ago it has been. The easiest way to tell is that the weave looks somewhat like a knit tee shirt and it is very soft and stretchy.

For decades they were cotton. Then early this decade I started having them made by a maker of womens lingerie. (And people think size matters to guys!) The new harnesses minimize, stretch, conform to fit and slide better. They are the same price ($17.50 with a 24" silk, dove pocket for the coat and special black safety pins).

Except when I have color match problems (Sunday Comics, blue and gold) I don't use the old ones anymore. The new ones are so easy to palm off. Then I can go on to THIS with the remaining 24" silk. (I just pick up the other two silks and add them.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Fender guitars are simply "string breakers" but using the Bigsby on any of them will keep you supplied in broken guitar strings. LOL I think when we went from real ivory to metal bridges we added to that problem.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just received Tony Clark's Instant Dove Release (plus Ice's Dove Retainers) in the mail today. Monday I will let you guys know how my weekend shows came out using the props.

Posted: May 18, 2009 11:10am
Nothing but frustration. Wow, it took me about 10-15 minutes to put the line through EACH of the plastic hinges when the doves were inside as I held the holders near my vest for the loading of the Twin Dove Production. It was hard getting the line through each of the plastic hinge holes smoothly because the doves size were putting pressure on the hinges, not letting it align through each hole evenly.

I fixed the problem by buying some small metal hinges from a hardware store. It was hard taking out the non removable pins. But it was worth it. I removed the plastic hinges and replaced them with the metal ones. Now putting the line through is simple because the holes are bigger and there is no nonalignment to worry about from the pressure of the doves.

I performed my whole dove (plus rabbit and chinchilla) routine planned at the beginning of my act on Saturday. I had my four doves loaded at the start in my pockets (Twin Dove Production, Dove from Newspaper and General Grant's Dove Streamer.) I was a little hoping no one would see any of my doves while I was about the start. No one noticed anything on me. My routine just needs more practice.

Sunday I thought about performing my act as ordinary, having different parts of animal acts throughout my show. Shortly before it started I was loading Tony Clark's "Instant Dove Release" so I could use it later in my show. It suddenly hit me… there is no way the doves will stay inside of the Instant Dove Releases until I need them later in my show. I was used to using General Grant's holders. So I took the doves out of the holders not planning to do the Twin Dove Production. I fixed that problem by letting a break come in my show. I loaded the doves in the Instant Dove Release for the second part of my show after the break.

I thought about using the following method for next time: As the doves are loaded behind my backdrop in the Instant Dove Release holders, have a 10"-15" line already going through the hinges to keep it secure. At the end of the line, instead of having a safety pin as the anchor, have velcro glued on the end of the line instead. Have a tab of of velcro on the outside of the vest pocket near the back too. When the time of loading comes, just put the holders in the pockets, and attach the velcro at the end of the line to the velcro on the outside of the pocket. There will be no line coming out through a slit in the back. The line is in a similar "S" shape going thru the front. I do not think the line will be seen after the effect underneath the jacket. I think the line will pull through the (metal) hinge at a slight angle with ease. The only thing to make sure of are the doves heads are in the holders secure so the line will not go around their necks while coming out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove bag pin release (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL