The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Picking a bird (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
Hi, I´m working on a parasol, candle, silk and ball manipulation act and have an good idea of producing a giant parasol and also a medium sized bird for climax. So I´m planning in near future to have a feathered-friend. I am thinking as I´m taking a pet more than thinking getting a prop. Because I have a Black-White-Red themed act I was thinking of getting a about the same colored bird. I think a red color is the best choice. So I have done about a half a month of research and found a bird that has all the qualities I can think of. The bird I am talking about is a female Eclectus Parrot.
Its not only the colors but the size and smartness and noisyness. Also other qualities that does not come to mind right now. So I need your help, for choosing the right bird for me or maybe you know some information that can be valuable to me. I have seen some guys using them, but I don't have much information about it.

-Fred
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
In my opinion, you would be better off finding the right bird and then adjusting your act to fit the bird.

Trying to find the right bird to fit your act is the wrong approach, because you may rule out the better bird ... and in the future, your act will change ... but your bird will not.

The most important thing is to find a bird that likes you. You are embarking on a "love affair" here.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Well I can adjust my act to the bird also because, I don't have the whole act together yet. Maybe you can tell me which is the best choice or what is the options.
I looked the Café and found that Café member Dave Womach has some dvds on birds and especially parakeets.( http://www.davewomach.com/products.htm )Maybe I need to buy them. White Parakeets also look very appealing. What do you think?

-Fred
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Buying the bird is the easy part. finding the right bird, training it, working with it and living with it for maybe the next 20 years or so of your life is a real commitment.

You need to consider where it is going to live and how you are going to transport it. Tropical birds do not like northern European winters.

If you are serious about getting a bird to use in your act and keep as a companion, then you have to do some shopping. You need to visit breeders and play with the birds they have.

To start, you must actually handle the specific bird you are thinking of buying. Check for temperment and how they like (or don't like) to be handled. Check to see if they are friendly or biters. Will they allow you to pick them up and be wrapped in a cloth (harness)? How old are they? Younger is often better. Ask a lot of questions about how to care for that specific bird.

The Womach dvds are excellent. Using his methods, I was able to train a parakeet in a very short time to be able to perform a number of tricks.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-05-09 18:01, Fred-Erik Johanson wrote:
Maybe I need to buy them. White Parakeets also look very appealing. What do you think?

Your falling right back into that trap of trying to find a bird to fit your act ... quit thinking about your act! You need to do what RJE suggested ... go to a breeder and handle some birds. When you find the right one, you will know.

I wanted a bird for years before buying Zoey. From the second I saw her, I knew she was the bird I wanted. She was begging for my attention, she put her claw through the Café and held on to my finger ... wouldn't let go.

That is what you are looking for, a bird that likes "you".

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Coming from a beginner in bird magic, I wanted to get a bird (a dove), but I wanted to be different from everyone else and I wanted to get a parrot... I had no idea what I wanted to do with this bird, but I had an idea of the style I wanted to do, like make it appear or disappear... I decided to purchase a green cheek conure which is part of the miniature parrot species... he is about 10 inches in length from head to tail he was only about 8 weeks and I had to spoon feed him for a few wweeks after getting him... when I first bought him I knew I couldn't use a dove harness as it would not fit him and I wasnt ready to pay $300.00 for one... I bought a balloon to dove box, a dove pan and a few other things... my bird hates dark enclosed spaces... the balloon to dove box, when consealed in the secret compartment, he chrips like their is no tomorrow and the dove pan he hates as it is dark and he cant see anything... the only thing which has worked for me is a dove bag... I have a picture of a bird and put it in the bag and I produce the bird...

you have to look at what you want like a candle routine or what then look at many birds... not just one breed

if you buy a bird expecting it to do something most likely it wont, and I would suggest getting something small like a conure (i would stay away from cockatiels) or a senegal... and if you get a bird you cant forget that it is a part of your family and he requires care and if you lack him attention it will ignore you and most likely become aggresive

My final thoughts

Start small and work big
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Well first of all we don't have many bird farms to start with and in my country theres only a few bird lovers who sell the babies.Maybe I havent searched that much, but from the first look I havent found one. I ittended to start small by just buying 1 or 2 small birds to have more focus on them because if I have many I think I might get confused and maybe don't have the time to train them invidually. It was a bad statement to say that Im looking a bird for my act, its wrong. Im willing to take any bird if it has a great attitute and is friendly to me. I just wanted to ask your opinion, whats the pros and cons about each species. Ofcourse I need a bird that can stand the north European winters, Im not going to keep them/him/her outside, but it would be nice, if it can stand minor temperature changes if traveling small distances. The sentence "Maybe I need to buy them" was said for the DVD-s. Smile Hope you have some more suggestions.
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Their is a thread at the top of this section and it has a list of dvd's here - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=13&7
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Picking a bird (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL