The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Manager is asking me to donate my show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
The manager at one my restaurant is asking me to donate my show for a "good" cause: her grand-daughter had some kind of illness and recently just returned home from prolonged stay in the hospital. They are looking for people to donate things, so she asked me if I could stop by for half an hour or an hour to do a show or something. This is really annoying. She asked me to do a show for her grandson before and was shocked when I told her that about my regular rate as oppose to the restaurant rate. This time is this again. I have an OK relationship with the manager, it was the owner who wanted me there in the first place. She is pretty nice when I asked her to shift times for me when I have private gigs booked on the same day and would be at the restaurant at a later time.

I hate the idea of someone trying to take advantage of you, I just don't want to work for free. If I had to donate a show, it should be my will. What would you guys do in this situation?
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Maybe you can write it off (the $1500 fee, I mean) on your taxes???

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
If it was me, I'd donate my time. I've donated my time many times over the years when working for owners, managers, and even other employees of the restaurants where I work. I call it a professional courtesy. It certainly would create goodwill between you and that manager and that can go a long way in not only keeping your job for a long time to come, but also make your stay at the restaurant more pleasant.

I just had a waitress last week ask me if I had any ideas for a fundraising event for her niece that just got out of the hospital. After getting more info I offered to perform a show free of charge if they took care of all the promotion. It was not why she asked me but she was thrilled about the idea. I've been at this restaurant for 12 years and the waitress has been there longer than that. We've always gotten along, but she's never asked me for a favor before. I'm happy to do this for her because I know it means a lot to her and it is for a very good cause.

Sometimes you just have to give and you may find that you get much more in return.

These are just my thoughts and others may have a different opinion. In the end you have to do what feels right for you, and I hope that no matter what you decide to do, it's the best decision for you.

Respectfully.

Lou Serrano
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Seeing the appreciation in the eyes of a child who has just overcome a battle with a tough illness will provide you with more karmic power and motivation than a fee ever would. Stop thinking of it as the manager trying to take advantage of you, and think of it as an opportunity to put a smile on the face of a child who has had a rough go of it and could probably use a little cheering up.

If you can't put those thoughts into the forefront of your mind, though, then don't do it. The last thing the child is going to benefit from at this point is charity provided begrudgingly. If it's really a sore spot for you, I'm sure it would be an easy task to find a magician in your area that would be happy to donate some of his time for a child pulling through an illness.

Just my thoughts.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I agree with Lou.I understand that you are a professional and should be paid.However the manager could say, yes, you are a professional so show up to work at your scheduled time, every time.So you might look at her flexibility as the payment for your time.If an occasional free show allows you to have to have several extra bookings (pay checks),It seems more than worth your while.It might help if you are able to look at it that way.Glenn
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
If its for a good cause which like you say it is, I would do it, its 30 minutes which is nothing when your performing, also you may get extra bookings out of it. just make it clear to manager that your only doing it fee free as its for the occasion and you wont be throwing free gigs in all the time.
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Speaking only for myself, yes I would do it for the child's sake. But that's just me. Scott Guinn wrote "Ian's Story" on his Blog site that really hits home where he refused the fee for a sick child.

http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

In the end, though, it's all up to you.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What do you have to give up to do it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm with Lou and the others. I offer discounted parties to the restaurant staff as an employee perk and one or two courtesy appearances each year for each restaurant. As a result, I've been at two restaurants for 6 years now after every other restaurant in both chains dropped their entertainers. The district manager of the larger fought corporate to keep me on because he views me as a supporting member of this restaurant's winning team.

Even though we earn a fraction of our standard fees through restaurants, the exposure, the steady paycheck and the freedom to perfect new routines to a loyal and appreciative audience are all well worth giving something back.

I'm not saying bend over and give your time away, but asking for a return on some of the loyalty and courtesy that they've extended to us is not "taking advantage."

My opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
I think it would be a great show to do. Granted you not getting paid but you have to look at the other side.

If your not doing anything that day, then why not do it.
Your making a young girl happy along with everyone else there. Happy kids = Happy parents.
You can get more exposure and get your name out more.
Finally this can lead to a few paying gigs. Use the opportunity to promote your self and hand out tons of business cards and promo materials.

I just think its a good idea to perfrom, also keeping the manager/owner happy is always good, so when you need something extra from the restaurant you can use the I helped you card.

My thoughts!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I have a rule of thumb. If it is for a sick child, yes I will donate my time, no questions asked.

Although I was extremely frustrated after donating my time for an 8 year old boy with cancer whom I was told he had about a year to live. I did the show for free thru an agency. The entire show, not ONE of the parents watched. They stayed in the other room and talked as I had their son up there laughing and giggling helping me in the show. Here was the kid, having the time of his life and neither of the parents watched. It just frustrated me. But I would do it again.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Hey guys, thank you for all of the thoughts. I know what to do now. =)
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 10:14, TommyJ wrote:
I have a rule of thumb. If it is for a sick child, yes I will donate my time, no questions asked.

Although I was extremely frustrated after donating my time for an 8 year old boy with cancer whom I was told he had about a year to live. I did the show for free thru an agency. The entire show, not ONE of the parents watched. They stayed in the other room and talked as I had their son up there laughing and giggling helping me in the show. Here was the kid, having the time of his life and neither of the parents watched. It just frustrated me. But I would do it again.

can understand you got annoyed but at least the boy had a great time
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In the end there are far more sick children, than there are performers who have time to do the shows.

What will you give up to do the show? If you are running a business, you have to figure out if it is worth what you have to give up, not just the show but any shows you would not do because of the commitment.

These are pretty important questions if you use magic as your sole means of support.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Business should be a win/win situation. You have a steady customer that gives you a steady pay check and is asking you for a favor. It's a reasonable request.

About 15 years ago a restaurant of mine asked me to perform a 30-minute show at a big charity day they have for cancer every year. I accepted. That restaurant turned into a 10+ year gig. It ended a couple of years ago but I still do the show for their big charity event every year.

Business is more about relationships sometimes.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I would do it no questions asked! What's 30 minutes of your life to make your boss at the restaurant HAPPY! No brainer!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well read the post guys, it is the owner who wants him at the restaurant, and the manager who has the request.

I am not saying don't do it, I am saying that you have to figure out what you are actually giving up to make an informed decision.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
If you can manage to do it on YOUR terms, I'd say it's a good opportunity. If this manager is trying to get you to do something that isn't right for you, just quote your rate and income tax policies on "donating services".
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Both Danny and Gaddy have good points as well!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In "general" I don't donate when asked. It has always been a pretty well proven way to get asked a lot more.

I do however donate things in the following manner.

I charge the regular rate, and then donate the check. This does a few things for you. It establishes what your time is really worth, it makes people think they are paying you, and it shows you are donating beyond what people will percieve as just "your time".

You did not do the show for free, did not donate "your time" you gave them the procedes from your nights work. This little change in doing things will shock you in how differently you are percieved.

Lastly, never just say "YES" on the spot. Check your callendar. I don't care if you know the date is open, if you have nothing for the rest of the year, CHECK AND GET BACK TO THEM!

The result is the same, you do the show for free. But the perception is absolutly different.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Manager is asking me to donate my show... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL