The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » One-man show DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I'm intrigued by magicians who perform one-man theatrical shows, the kind where the tone is more conversational with the audience rather than a series of bits (a Ricky Jay type show vs. a Lance Burton or Mac King kind of show). I have DVD's of Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants (hard to come by) and Paul Daniels in his tribute to Max Malini. Can any of you suggest other shows of this nature that are also available on DVD?
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1052 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
It probably isn't on DVD but Max Maven's latest show is right up this alley.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
I ran across another one, An Audience with Paul Daniels at the Edinburgh Festival. It's almost too conversational, though, not really a theatrical presentation. The Max Maven show would fit the bill, as would the theatrical shows by Paul Gertner and Joshua Jay, but I don't think any of these have been recorded for DVD sales. I think Harry Anderson also had something like this when he had his theater in New Orleans. It's too bad we don't have more of these types of shows. I think they present magic in a more serious, artful light that attracts the more traditional fans of the theater (who are not necessarily fans of traditional magic shows).
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
One word.....Kozak.
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Does Kozak have a one-man show DVD?
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Would you classify Derren Brown as falling under your criteria?

Evening Of Wonders
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derren-Brown-Eve......6&sr=8-2

Something Wicked This Way Comes
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derren-Brown-Som......6&sr=8-7

Cheers,

Chris
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Quote:
On 2009-05-11 12:50, Mac_Stone wrote:
It probably isn't on DVD but Max Maven's latest show is right up this alley.
There are clips from it, though, on the Max Maven: A Fabulous Monster documentary, which came out on DVD last year.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Derren Brown absolutely falls into this category. I didn't know those DVD's existed, thanks for the tip Chris!
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 19:01, Merenkov wrote:
Derren Brown absolutely falls into this category. I didn't know those DVD's existed, thanks for the tip Chris!

They're awesome!! 'An Evening Of Wonders' doesn't get released for a couple of weeks still, but get them as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Chris
mas_chan
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
2 Posts

Profile of mas_chan
Fielding West?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6184 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I just got the Derren DVDs from England and I'm bummed out that they come in a region not supported in the States. I would think they have them done to be supported all over.

This really messed up my day. Now I have to send them back. D-a-m-n!!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Greg, look for a "region free" DVD player. You can buy them online, they're common. This will let you play DVDs from outside the US.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6184 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 23:20, Jeff Haas wrote:
Greg, look for a "region free" DVD player. You can buy them online, they're common. This will let you play DVDs from outside the US.

I'm already on it. I'm hoping that regular stores my carry such things so I'm going out tomorrow to do some shopping.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1030 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Greg,

You may have already figured this out.

I use a program called "ripit" which puts the dvd on my mac, and then I can watch on my computer, ipad, etc.
Author of PERFORM...all the stuff to think about

Over 450 pages, hardcover, full color

"I loved this book!" - Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars - highly recommended" - Nick Lewin

"Chock full of ideas that will make me more $$ and my shows more professional!" - Leif David

Foreword written by Joshua Jay

Tim's book and other goodies to help performers here...

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Greg, If it doesn't play on your DVD, it might on your computer. Make sure your TV can show non-NTSC video.

Regarding one-man shows: Don't miss the Don Alan DVD from Stevens Magic, the best DVD they ever made. It is Don Alan's full close-up show, performed seated and surrounded.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
International Magic's Goshman disc is pretty good. And Denny's show disc is excellent.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2510 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
You can Google a method of playing any DVD on your player.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » One-man show DVD's (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL