The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Retainer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ice McDonald has a special dove holder that will fit inside of an ordinary dove holder/vest. It is called a Dove Retainer. It looks similar to a dove harness. It has plastic inside so the dove will appear easily, quick and smooth when using an Invisible Dove Harness. I will be able to relax about not breaking the monofilament line. The retainer stays inside of the dove pocket/holder when producing the dove, I think by velcro. Any comments?

I remember Dave Scribner talking about a method of using plastic inside of the dove vest pockets a year or so ago.
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
In Tony Clarks Behind the seems he talks about something similar to what you're talking about using lighting gels or shipping tape. He said he actually had to readjust his moves slightly because of how slick it made the steals. You could take a look into that. I've used shipping tape and it works for me.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, Alexo. I also have all of Tony Clarks' DVDs. I tried using the tape before, but it comes lose, especially after washing.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, go to the office supply store and buy "sheet protectors" These are plastic covers for documents. You cut a sheet down to size and slip it into your pocket. You make it as long as your pocket and wide enough to fit half way up one side, across the bottom and half way up the other side. Normally it will not come out however, if you find that it does in rehearsal, just put a little tape along each side edge to hold it. You will have to remove the plastic when you wash the vest.

The only down side to this is it will make the pocket so slippery, the dove will fall with very little tilting. Using a pocket you can compensate by changing the angle but with a vest, the pockets are fixed in place. You have to learn to be careful with your movements.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you my friend.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
The retainer keeps the dove from moving around in a regular pocket when using a IH. It is basically a modified holder that keeps the dove and line in place for IH steals. It's lined with a slick material to make the production easier but is not the same as lining a regular dove pocket.
Zaubern Smile
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Most importantly. You could Preload the doves in the Dove Retainer and just before show time you can load the Dove Retainers in your dove pockets.

It really helps when the emcee tells you, "your on in a minute"

G0THIKE
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just ordered two of them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I received both of my Dove Retainers last week. I loaded the dove to see how it looks. It looked too bulky. Either my bird must lose some weight or me. Smile

I thought about the way Dave mentioned above. In my mind I compared both methods. I will credit Dave's method for looking less bulkier. I credit both for loading easy. I credit the Dove Retainer for keeping the dove from getting loose too easy. I think I like Dave's way better, but I will try the Dove Retainer first so I will not be wasting my money.

Dave, I thought about something that will enhance your method. Have velcro tabs sewn inside the pocket. Tape velcro on the sheet protectors. That way the sheet protectors will be easy to remove encase a holder is needed in the pocket, and easy to remove for washing the vest.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, that will work. I don't use the plastic insert method but it's a good idea for those that do. If you get the velcro tabs that are sticky backed, you won't have to sewn them to sheet protectors.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I saw a dove being loaded with a cardboard-like sheet, and then the sheet was removed. It's purpose was to make the loading process easier and to prevent damage/roughing the doves feathers. Is this called a dove loader? It seems the dove retainer would serve the same purpose, plus it would also help prevent the dove's nails from getting caught in the pocket.

Do some of you dove workers use an IH without the retainer, or with nothing to help with the nail problem? Can the nails be trimmed so it is not a problem, or can the nails get caught in the satin regardless of how well trimmed they are?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
General Grant mentions sanding/buffing the dove's nails so they will not be as pointy. Tony Clark mentions placing some type of duct tape inside the holder where the dove's nails lay.
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
I have been gluing med grit sand paper on the perches. So I never have to trim or file their nails. I have been doing this for 18 years! Love it.
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What size perch you use, Andy?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, a good rule of thumb is to have the perch larger enough in diameter so the nails don't touch when they grasp it and not so large that the feet can't close in a grip.

This contradicts the cold weather perch I have talked about before. In cold weather, dove settle down over their feet. I use a flat perch so they have to lay their feet out flat and then sit on them. Keeps the claws nice and warm.

Andy's suggestion of using sandpaper on the perches is a great way to keep the nails trimmed. If you don't use that, just a few strokes with an emery board across the tip does the trick. You just want to remove the sharp point. The nails can be trimmed however you must be careful not to cut into the blood line.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Retainer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL