The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » It happens to all of us (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I've been asked many times about how to keep a bird from flying off into the audience. I thought the report of Lance Burton fracturing his foot was very appropo. He has performed 15000 shows at the Monte Carlo and during the last one, Elvis his parakeet flew off.

It just goes to show that it happens to all of us. You can never be 100% sure of the birds you use and all you can do is make the best of it.
Where the magic begins
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Superglue on the perch as preshow set-up?

Tiny shackles a la chain gang?

Magnetizing bird's feet and use a metal perch?

Hypnotize the bird and if that doesn't work, hypnotize the audience into seeing the bird still on the perch?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Well, never NAKE mistakes! The last time I had a dove go on a "private tour" was in the night show at the Cavalcade of Magic this March. (She was even in the cage! I do admit that I leave it open for my convenience but she knows this act. She even knows the music!)

To me the only legitimate reason for using an invisible harness is to stop a flying bird from getting away. It will hold one down. (I will NOT use one for production, period. I think they are dangerous.) I have used them in TV commercials to be sure the dove stayed in frame (in the camera shot). David Ginn and I must hold the worlds records for loose doves in TV studio lights. Doves will go to the brightest lights.

Actually, my record has probably been less that two escapees per thousand shows. I can live with those odds. A good man on the follower spot light can usually bring the dove right back to you.

I learned to not work with parakeets when I lived in Arkansas and we commercially raised them for Hartz Mountain. Noise is the only reliable part of them.

Lance Burton learned that lesson, I thought, back in the 80s when one left his glove just as the zoom lens clearly caught it on TV for the whole world to see.

Now Lucy works with live geese! I'd rather work blindfolded with live rattlesnakes and king cobras. Geese love the audience!

Don't you wish most accidents did happen at home?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Rob,

Why not use a mean "security cat"?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That is why Silky Doves are helpful for me.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Silkies do fly Mike, just not as well. The point was that even the best of us lose control of our animals once in awhile.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
A loose bird is just a button off of your shirt. There is no real harm done. It simply proves the birds are real.

If you want a real crisis, let a rodeo bull get loose into the audience stands. That happens too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
But how did you get the bull to be still in your jacket to begin with?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Darn, if it had been a dove I would be outside with my lasso waiting for it to fly by. I have been wanting to get some doves and they are hard to find! Parakeets are plentiful though, so I won't waste my time! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Reagan, for the past 2 months or so our local Petsmart has had doves in stock. They're kind of high priced in my opinion at $40 a head, but they do have them out here at least.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Drew. Come to think of it, I found white doves at a local PetsMart here one time several years back. I have not checked recently.

I was mostly joking, but I am seriously considering doves. Of course, I have been seriously considering doves for several years, but this time I am more serious about seriously considering doves! Smile However, I am not quite ready for them, so even if I found some I would not be ready to bring them home just yet. If I cannot find any doves anywhere else around here I will keep PetsMart in mind when I seriouly begin to look for my doves!

Thanks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Reagan, switch to decaf Smile

Actually though, I hear you on that. I want doves again, but my apartment is too full to allow for it at this time. However, lucky for me my wife loves dove magic and she has consented to an aviary when we get a house. Too bad that's like 5 years away....

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Try to avoid pet shop doves at all cost. First Drew you are correct. $40 a head is too much but besides that, you can never tell the history of the dove. The petshop owners don't care about the birds and most haven't got a clue how to take care of them. I always tell folks that buying from a pet shop is definetly a buyer beware transaction.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What I dislike the most from purchasing a dove from a pet shop is a type of bug that is flat and hides itself in doves feathers. I forgot the name of the tiny bug. At least the bug dies easy from the tick spray.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Quote:
On 2009-05-12 20:33, Dave Scribner wrote:
Try to avoid pet shop doves at all cost. First Drew you are correct. $40 a head is too much but besides that, you can never tell the history of the dove. The petshop owners don't care about the birds and most haven't got a clue how to take care of them. I always tell folks that buying from a pet shop is definetly a buyer beware transaction.

We deal with the same issues in the reptile world, so I know all the caveats. I have a very good friend who is an expert with birds and I wouldn't buy from any place he didn't recommend.

Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I use silky doves, too. I have always used the regular white dove, but borrowed some silkies from my friend in Memphis while performing there. Silkies can fly, but seem even more tame than the white doves [if you can believe that!] So I finally bought myself a pair. They are super!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Are the Silky doves solid white in color? I used to have a Silky rooster and 2 Silky hens. All were solid white, and they were the prettiest chickens I've ever seen. That rooster was mean!

By the way, is the Java dove the preferred species by most magicians? I have to start looking for some soon, and I want to make sure I get the correct type.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

The white Java dove is the bird of choice. Put up a notice at the local feed store and surprise yourself! You will likely get a call!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Silkys are pretty but if they ever get rust on them from a rusty cage it can be nearly a year before they "clean" back up. You also want to avoid using red pottery saucers for feeding and watering with them. They seem too skilled at picking up stains. Otherwise, have at it!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Bob. White doves are tough to find around my area. I am singing at a wedding this weekend. They were going to release doves, but they decided to move the wedding indoors because of a thunderstorm threat. I was thinking....."What about the doves? I'll take 'em if they are the right type".

However, I found out they were actually some type of white homing pigeon. The owner would not consider releasing them because of the thunderstorm, so they called the dove idea off altogether. It's probably best, because even if they were Java doves, I'm too far from home, and I'm not quite ready for them yet. Plus, it would have been bad if they had tried to release those doves and the doves were no where to be found! I know everyone would have looked at me with a suspicious eye, and I would have been whistlling an innocent tune! It is best for all that the temptation was removed! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

Real Java doves couldn't find the back yard from the back porch!

Take your time. (Then the doves will!)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2009-05-16 13:06, Bob Sanders wrote:
Regan,

Real Java doves couldn't find the back yard from the back porch!

Take your time. (Then the doves will!)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob, I had heard that before. When I heard the wedding director say that the dove owner would not release the doves in a thunderstorm because they might become confused and have trouble finding their way home, I knew that it was not going to be any doves like I knew of. It was still funny though because many knew that I have been wanting doves, and I guess they saw my eyes light up when this all came about.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » It happens to all of us (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL