The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
What kind of balls do you prefer in your cups and balls routine and why do you like 'em?
Yakworld.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I like the common red crocheted balls... they're easy to handle and quite visible from a distance.

Although, a friend who works in the computer field has given me a set of those black rubber mouseballs if I ever decide I want something that looks "period" (medieval).

I just have to make sure they stay visible somehow... (Do the routine on a white cloth perhaps?)
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The problem with rubber balls is friction--they tend to hang up in many moves, and if you try to move a cup across the table with a rubber ball in it, you might end up unintentionally doing a shell routine steal!

A good choice is the little mini "hackysack" balls, because they don't roll as much.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Philemon,
It's a trick bit to do, but if you want something "in period", try small stones. It's very convincing. (Just make sure you find similiar stones) Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Mike Roger's baseball is very good. Don't know whether you can still get them Smile
Bernard Sim
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
For the cups and balls, I have used all of the following: dice, rubber balls, mini-baseballs, crocheted balls, and ball bearings. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, and my routines with each of them is different. The biggest advantage of dice is that they don't roll away. In this regard, Sable's advice to use stones is a good one (especially if the final load is a large stone). However, stones will be harder to palm than dice.

My least favorite version is the crocheted balls. They tend to get dirty very quickly and they get bobbled and frayed. Rubber balls also tend to get dirty with handling (although it depends on the type of rubber). So, if you want to use balls, I would everywhere prefer the mini-baseballs. Betty (Mike's wife) is still making the mini-baseballs, but you'll have to look around for the chop balls, and she no longer makes these.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I use a “Monkey’s Fist” knot for a ball. Mine a shave under 1 inch and made of strands of red and black leather (leather laces). I have made some final load balls that are about 3 inches in diameter out of red and black rope, but don’t use them much as I favor fruit loads for the finale.

The Monkey Fist knot is an old sailing ship decorative knot. While it is a ball in a general sense it has “edges” that help keep it from rolling.

This knot makes a pretty ball and is easy to tie. There is an instruction page with illustrations at http://www.realknots.com/knots/faqknot.htm#monkey
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Great Post Mumblepeas! Very interesting site.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You're in good company MP. Ray Grismer uses the same thing.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
I prefer using sponge balls and coffee cups using a lemon, lime and a turnip for the final loads.

For close-up in restaurant situations I use the crocheted balls and use the sponge balls as the final loads with my spun aluminum cups.

Aedryan
variable75
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of variable75
Scott-

Where on earth did you find those little hackysack balls? I have checked everywhere without luck. I agree, I always thought those would be the best. Any help you can give me would be great!!

Thanks-
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
For those who would like to use the mini baseballs, try looking in the doll-furnishing section of an arts and crafts supply store. I found a mini-baseball in a package for about $2.50. They are about 3/4".
So, for $10.00 an entire set can be had.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
For the hacky-sack type balls try Oriental Trading

http://www.oriental.com/

Look in Toys

They have so much stuff your eyes water thinking about how you can get some of them into your act.

Don't work for them, just trade (no pun intended) with them.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I too, prefer the miniature baseballs made by Mike Rogers and now his wife from what I've heard. For the final load, I use baseballs from the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. In my routine I throw away the wand early in the routine and use a miniature baseball bat and glove. As I sing
"Take Me Out to the Ball Field" I produce the final load baseballs and my rolled up wand unfurls as a Blue Jay banner.

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Denny and Lees is running a special on those little balls.
Dennis Michael
MattSedlak
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of MattSedlak
My favorite balls to use are the tayade (sp?) balls. They are beautiful and elegant and they also don't roll very far.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Just spoke to Denny at Denny and Lee’s and he does not have any Mike Rogers cup and ball mini-baseballs. He is selling a leather “Monkey Fist” ball in several colors.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

As I am very bad in doing magic, I always think about the sleight I am going to use.

In my routine, I use the elevator move. I cannot do it with mini-baseball leather ball, so I prefer crocheted balls.

Also problems with the tip-off move.

I use aluminum cups.

Anyhow, I see Ammar uses mini-baseballs and can perform all that moves... so it might be only MY problem!!!

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Smile Smile Smile Smile

Crocheted
He who laughs, lasts.
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Say I´m crazy but sometimes I use common sponges - you can go from one routine to the other
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL