The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
o.k. - your crazy! Smile Actually, I think using sponges is not a bad idea. Vernon advised against the use of sponges - people being aware of the compressable nature of sponge balls, might suspect that you use that factor in some devious way. But the good thing about sponges is their compressability. You can use that factor in some very devious ways! Smile
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
A friend showed me a nice ending for C&B with mini-sponges. Regular sponges than switiching to big ones and after that as a final load he produces about five to six mini ones - really great effect! But he will not tell me how to get the final load in the cup - any ideas out there???

And to Brad - Yea I´m mad man!!HIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHIHI Smile

P.S. My idea was to use a littel bag - but there seemed not to be one. Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I use ¾th inch ball bearings with melamine coffee cups. They make a typical sound when the steel ball is stuck on the outside of the cup. After completing the cups & ball routine, do a chop cup routine with the same set along with the OMEGA Ring. It bowls them over.

:xmas: Ustaad
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
You can get Mike Rogers mini-baseballs at
http://www.ammarmagic.com
You can get everything for cups and balls there. loads, wands, cups and how to videos on the cups and balls trick.
I bought all the cups and ball stuff and I recommend everything there.
All of the products at ammarmagic.com
is very professional, and good quality.

Smile
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Just searched Michael's web site and found nothing on the Mike Rogers baseballs. I think your info may be out of date.
tr
Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4303 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Steven's Magic Emporium is carrying them again:

Click Here
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
kellser121
View Profile
New user
UK
42 Posts

Profile of kellser121
Ok, this time call me mad!!
But when I was playing around with the mouse, the ball dropped up and I picked it up. Surprisingly enough it was a great weight to perform fake transfers etc with.
I have cosidered using it in my cups and balls routine but haven't yet!
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Thanks, Philemon. I've been looking for those.

Regards,
Tony
Conus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Conus
Mumblepeas ...

Thanks for passing along the monkey fist details. Tied a set in no time large enough to use for a 3 ball routine.

No talk, no bounce, and makes for a good pop-up move.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Thanks to Mumblepeas for monkey fist idea. I found the proper rope that comes in nice colors. I am using a bright yellow for rehearsal as it is easy to see it flash Smile , but will be great to figure out where I do flash Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
I like the monkey fist idea, but I can't seem to tie it; I can't get all the pieces tight. I've made my own balls out of the "traditional" cork. They're about 3/4 inch in diameter. Once blackened over a flame and wiped clean, they're very easy to work with.
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
I like the Mike Rogers baseballs. They are definitely still available from Michael Ammar (I just bought some) at this link.

Both sizes (7/8" and 1") grip more reliably in a finger palm than crocheted balls, are easier to keep clean, and they have an authentic baseball look.

Some audiences may well be unimpressed -- or even turned off -- by the baseball motif, and it seems prudent to take that into account in planning a routine and its performance. But for baseball fans in particular, the Rogers balls, plus the larger final load balls, should be well received.

These and other final load sports-related balls might be found at this link.

Tim :->
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
For several years I used black rubber mouse balls as they had a perfect size and weight to them and great inherant "tackyness" which made some of the sleights much easier. They also looked like the traditional burnt cork balls of olde. I finally stopped using these as they were difficult for the audience to see clearly. I then used a set of red felt balls that I had a wool vendor at a Ren fair make for me. I udsed these until I got a set of cups on E-Bay thay came with a marvelous set of crochet balls that instead of the traditional cork had dense fabric centers which makes them not quite round so they don't roll real well which is a plus as I rarely get to perform on level ground. I once saw a French documentary on Robert Houdin which re-enacted a scene from his ghildhood where he encountered a cups and balls worker using nutmegs as balls.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
For the last 13 or so years I've been using some balls I made myself. They are the ones Tommy Wonder describes in his cups and Balls routine. They are basically small dense Pom Poms. mine are bright Orange. I'm surprised how long they've held up.

I'm always on the search for the perfect ball. I recently found a supplier of the 1-3/8" baseballs that I plan on switching to. they come on pull chains for ceiling fans, along with several other types of balls. You can get the, in Home Depots.

Mumblepeas: I like the Monkeysfist, thanks for the link. At TAOM some of the Street Performers had these. I like them because it looks like you can make them in any size you want.

Ronnie
:cups:
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of hbenod
Even though I haven't tried them. I heard a tip by Alexander de Cova of using the no-bounce ball from the well known trick as the small balls for the Cups and Balls. This is the like traditional ball color used by European performers in the Middle Ages. I agree with one of the previous posts that if you are not careful you may end up with a shell like move when making some of your displays. But then again, its tackiness makes it easier to handle.

Magically,

hbenod
COINAMGIC
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of COINAMGIC
There is a good book written by Jack Channin, who past away a few years back, that has an excellent routine for cups and balls using waste paper baskets for cups and small wads of toilet paper for the balls.

I do my cups and balls with the chop cups and knitted balls. As a final load, I say "Well right now there are six balls on the table, but if I add one it's seven." Then I turn over the center cup and show a sponge ball which leads me into my next routine.
coins n' card there all good
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
The trick to the Monkey's Fist knot is in the tightening -- so it is with any complex knot.

I'm glad you all seemed to enjoy the Monkey's Fist Balls, I think they're the best I've ever used for street work. I spent many days researching the knot and then seeking the best materials to make them from. One notable finding was colored parachute cord, it made a very seviceable, economical ball; something that I'd planned on marketing as an entry level set -- but if you learn the knot, they're easily enough made.

You should see the ones I'm making now they're even prettier than the monkey's fists and most of the sets are chopped for you Chop Cup guys.
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
Eric, were you one of the performers at Taom this year?
Ronnie
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Yep, I was there in the Water Gardens, what a beautiful setting.

Why? I didn't flash any did I?
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I really enjoyed your act. It was like being entertained by an friend, very enjoyable, Two Thumbs up. I was also wondering where you got your Poachers Pouch.

Thanks Ronnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL