We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4741 Posts

Profile of videoman
Hey Pete,

You almost got me sold on the Johnny Paul C&B routine. I think I'm off now to order the Stevens tape.

Any Johnny Paul cups left in your possession? If so, what's the price?
Saw you mention $125.00 in another post but I won't hold you to that, you can make it even cheaper if you like. ;-)

Best,
Bill
Dennis Michael.
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
103 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael.
In my kid's show I use marshmallows and a single cup. It's a funny bit when I put the produced marshmallow into the kid helper's mouth and have them say a magic word like "hocus pocus" with a mouth full of marshmallow. Then produce another and another and another. They quickly can't put any more in their mouth so I start eating them too, also talking with my mouth full.

Lots of fun. I finish the routine with a call back to the rock I used in "Rock in Shoe."

(Reading over what I've just written, I see how that seems discontinuous but it makes sense with the patter I use.)

Other times I use crochet balls, foil balls, or soft foam rubber balls.
I'm Back

Dennis Michael
Denver Colorado
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of wcb39
If you want the best I suggest contacting Auke van Dokkum at http://www.cupsandballs.nl/. His ball are the finest I have seen and you can get custom colors. Mike Rogers made wonderful balls and these are about two steps up in quality. The bad news is they are also two steps up in price.
thatmagicguy
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
35 Posts

Profile of thatmagicguy
Kind of suprised that with the talk of using mouse balls, no one thought of using them in chop cups...the have a metal core that works well with magnets....
They appear and sound very solid when you drop them on the table...just paint them whatever color you need.
I'm moving back to Vegas.....anyone there that can help me out in getting adjusted to the Sin City again!?!!?
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 18:00, wcb39 wrote:
If you want the best I suggest contacting Auke van Dokkum at http://www.cupsandballs.nl/. His ball are the finest I have seen and you can get custom colors. Mike Rogers made wonderful balls and these are about two steps up in quality. The bad news is they are also two steps up in price.

Are they heavy in weight though? I use a few different styles, some of which have been made in leather, others in rope. Nothing has any weight though.

That's why I like the Gertner routine. The props have weight, thus (IMO) making the spectator believe that they are harder to manipulate or hide.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I'm joining this forum about 11 years late, but I'm hoping someone out there can help. After trying lots of ball types, I most favor the Rogers baseballs, and I use them happily in a baseball theme routine. BUT the baseball look is not right for all occasions. SO, where can I find the same stitched leather construction but in solid colors (matched leather and stitching) -- red for sure and maybe other colors?

I see the Auke van Dokkum has something like that, but $40 + shipping is more than I want to pay. Can they be found cheaper?

Thanks.
David
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
David many that use the Mike Rogers Baseballs have routines that don't relate to baseballs at all. Michael Ammar uses them. his routine is not baseball nor sports related at all. If you favor Mike Roger's baseballs over other types use them. Don't worry them looking out of place to your audiences. They won't
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
David many that use the Mike Rogers Baseballs have routines that don't relate to baseballs at all. Michael Ammar uses them. his routine is not baseball nor sports related at all. If you favor Mike Roger's baseballs over other types use them. Don't worry them looking out of place to your audiences. They won't
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1071 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Donnie of Rings and Things II sells great sets of crochet balls in a variety of colors. The balls have some weight to them and the stitching on the crochet balls is tight, not fuzzy. Brett Sherwood also sells great crochet balls, but be aware that they are 1 and a quarter inch in size.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have yet to find some leather balls in bright colors, plain leather balls look like you know what... LOL.

If you look there are "Monkey Fist/Knot" balls out there in colors.

I am another that recommends balls from RNT2, there are many sizes and again the quality is great. Frank from the Ambitious Card also sells some great balls... I have a set that are felt covered mouse balls; I use them with some Traditional styled Cups. They are very heavy and will not roll around. He also has some with the "Monkey Fist" coverings, I also use those with no complaints.

Good luck finding what you need.

Bruce
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
For my first set of cups (finders), I used some carved cork balls that were wrapped in tee shirt fabric and sewed- but I don't recommend it- it makes you look homeless.
I've gotten good results either making my own mini-baseballs from pleather and cork or by using a set of red knit balls that I got with my first proper set.
For final loads, I've found that billiard balls are oh-so-satisfying because 1: everyone knows what they are 2: they're heavy and they "Thud!"
However, I'd also say that billiard balls tend to talk when you put them in the cup so... Caveat discipulus.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
It finally dawned on me that there must be on-line patterns and instructions for creating baseball covers of any size. A quick search locates several places to get the information. So, having already created three sets of monkey fist balls, I could have just found myself a new evening pastime.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Quote:
On 2014-01-10 09:11, BeThePlunk wrote:
It finally dawned on me that there must be on-line patterns and instructions for creating baseball covers of any size. A quick search locates several places to get the information. So, having already created three sets of monkey fist balls, I could have just found myself a new evening pastime.

Rock on, dude! Nothing like building your own props.

There's a blog called "The Suitcase Machine" that has a tutorial on making baseballs. (ish)
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
What about the balls from ringsnthings and theambitiouscard.com?

Does anyone have experience with these two brands?

Specifically:
How much do they weigh?
Which colors are most visible?
Which size is best for cups with a baseball final load?
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tim,

I own many RNT2 Balls, all I am very pleased with, especially their balls for Chop Cups and Combo Cups. The Ambitious Card balls are good too… a different look than RNT2.

As to weight, I have never weighed them… however in my opinion you don’t want them so heavy… or you can hear them go plop as you do your moves. The set of Ambitious Card “Mouse Balls” I have are heavy and on some working surfaces the working surface is like a drum head. They are great at staying put.

Regarding color… consider the color of Cups, working surface and your clothes (background)… you want them to be visible with contrast.

RNT2 has some great Cups and if you can find some, Gary Animal spun some Cups that will hold a baseball. They come up for sale every now and then.

Good luck,
Bruce
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Thanks Bruce.

I already have cups, one set is copper one set is brass.

I perform on a black surface or a green surface. I most often wear a white shirt with a dark vest or coat, black or grey. I thought the red or yellow or white would be most visible. What would you say?
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tim,

You pretty much hit the colors that show up with the backgrounds that you listed. Use the largest balls that you feel the most comfortable with and work well with the Cups that you have. I mostly use 7/8" size balls with my Paul Fox and Squatty 2 Cups.

Good luck,
Bruce
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have heard some suggest reversing the colors, using the darker colors for the balls and a contrasting color for the surface. So the ball color would be black, navy, dark red like a maroon etc. the idea being that if there is any slip in your handling then you are less likely to flash the ball. A red ball will flash easily, the darker colors are more forgiving. Of course you have to have the appropriate contrasting colors for the surface and clothing. I believe that suggestion came from the Bob White dvd,
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Others have mentioned that they have been called out with the ball flashing from their shinny Cups... long story short, I have let my Cups turn brown and have never had the problem.

Call me old school... I am partial to the RNT2 red balls.

Thanks,
Bruce
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
It's also worth looking at the viewing angle. If people are sitting or standing and what they will see. Think of your clothing as the cyclorama and proscenium arch and what will show up best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls for Cups and Balls (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL