The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Suggestions for Really Big Card trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Hey Folks -

I'm contracted to do a series of shows at a Western-themed murder mystery. After we arranged the dates the producer started asking me if I have that trick with "the big cards?" She has obviously seen too many magicians' promo shots from the 50's.

Anyway, with these shows coming I thought it might be a nice chance to work up a new routine. So here's what I've got in mind...

If I'm going to do a really big card trick I want it to be really big, bigger than jumbo. I'm pretty sure that leaves mostly versions of the monte.

What's your opinion of the different "larger than Jumbo" card tricks on the market?

My first two thoughts were sidewalk shuffle and King Monte.

Thanks Peter
http://www.funnymagic.com
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
Harry Anderson has marketed a new monte effect with very large cards. It's called, I think, Monte Gras. It might be worth a look.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I use the stage size version of B'Wave a lot! The cards are really big, but not difficult to handle.

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Now, let's see, I put this out on the Café somewhere, but anyway, why not try the invisibe deck using jumbo cards or the card warp with jumbo cards (big beard and a deep voice) or the torn and restored card using jumbo cards. Maybe you can try an Ambitious card routine using jumbo cards. Hey, I got it, card under the drink, using jumbo cards (you can get it from International magic in London GB)
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
What's your budget like? Penn and Teller did a standard 'pick a card' trick using a giant pack which they shuffled with forklifts!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In my lecture notes Funny Business, I have a routine called Insured Success. A volunteer picks a (forced) card and you (unknown to him) show this card to the audience who shout out the name of it on the count of 3, much to the astonishment of the volunteer.

I did this one time with an assistant backstage. When the card was selected, and the volunteer was "trying to project his thoughts" to the audience, the assistant walked across the stage, behind us, carrying a HUGE duplicate of the force card.

Works great, great reaction, fills a stage with just you and volunteer and a deck of cards.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Just to clarify Scott Sullivan's post. The large three card monte routine by Harry Anderson is called, "Three Card Prince" and is still available from most magic dealers. These cards are quite a bit bigger than standard jumbo cards.

If you want even bigger cards, look for the version called, "Three Card Monarch." The cards in that set were huuuuuge. It is no longer produced, but every now and then you can find a set being auctioned on Ebay or sold off at an auction.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Harry also has a new one called Monte Gras. It can be found at Hank Lee. I have 3 Card Prince and the cards are a little smaller than the original 3 Card Monarch. The routine is exactly the same though. He also has one called Jumbo Marked.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Western Theme + Jumbo Cards? You sure your producer's not talking about CW's "Jumbo Sidekick"?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Jumbo Cards and a Western Murder theme? Well, a bullet thru card effect using giant cards would work well. Especially if, during the trick, the murder happens!

Also, I saw Jim Krenz do a gigantic (3' cards!) version of Card Warp at an SAM (or was it IBM?) convention in Chicago some years back. That's always good for a laugh from the magicians in the crowd.

A jumbo rising card deck would probably fly pretty well, too!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Show a back of a large card. Tell the audience it is your prediction card to the answer of a spectator will soon give you. Tell a spectator to think of a number 100 - 900. Tell them their answer is on the face of your prediction card. Say to the spectator, "Yes or no, were you thinking of number 368?" After he/she tell you no, tell the audience you were right, show the face of the predition card reading "no".

It's makes everyone laugh. The card can be any size you want.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
There is a marketed effect by Hank lee called Sharpshooter which employs a jumbo deck of cards, a pistol, a blindfold, and some good comedy. This routine will fit into a western gunfight routine pretty well. It plays for some pretty cute laughs.

S. Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Suggestions for Really Big Card trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL