The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » New Bose system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop......ndex.jsp

Check it out. I compared it to my Passport PD 250 and it was pretty much just as loud except it sounded quite a bit better. I think I might trade in the Passport.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Magicsoup,
I saw one, I didn't get to listen to it, but it didn't seem as rugged or sturdy as the Passport 250. The 250 seems designed for travel and to take a beating, but even though the Bose was lighter, it didn't seem like it would take as much!

I haven't heard it yet, though, and great, light, compact sound systems are hard to come by so let me know if you start using it and like it!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I will tell you this:

Bose is the MOST marketed, MOST over-valued audio equipment on the face of the earth. They sell because of marketing

Something to read...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/spea......ose.html

DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR PASSPORT!!!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
"No highs, no lows, it must be Bose"....and so it goes.....ho...ho.......Jimeuax
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2283 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 00:25, magicsoup wrote:
Has anyone seen this?

Yes, It has been my work horse for over 2 years and I love it. I upgraded from the Passport 250. One great advantage is you do not have to set up 2 speaker stands and run the wire across. I don’t know how but the Bose tower fills the room with quality sound no matter what the size or shape of the room. Perhaps it is a bit overpriced, having to pay for all of that marketing, but it is a quality product that lives up to its claims.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2283 Posts

I have a friend in the Philadelphia area that is selling his. He has adapted a hard shell gun case to protect the two parts or the tower speaker and it also comes with two sub woofers. PM me if you would like his contact info.
www.KenNorthridge.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have three sets of Bose Acoustimass speakers, and I bought them simply because they sounded better TO ME than anything else the dealer demo'ed. It was a completely "blind" demo, too.

I'm not saying that there's not a lot of stuff out there that is both better and cheaper, but these did it for me.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
I was working with a signer who had this set up.

To my ear it sound brilliant far better than my Peavey.

Colin
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I field tested the L1 Single Bass package. You really need the bass accessory for good music and vocal ranges. Great sound and excellent coverage. It set up right behind me with no feedback whatsoever deleting the need for a monitor. I was hearing exactly what the audience was hearing.

The volume seemed a little lacking for me. I could see it replacing my Passport 150 indoors and with medium size crowds, but for outdoor shows and really large crowds, I prefer my Passport 250 over the Bose L1/SB.

I liked it, but was a bit put off by the $2000 price tag for the L1/SB and the surprising volume of complaints that I found on an Internet search. The complaints ranged from poor customer & repair service to volume issues. When this thing breaks down, it apparently REALLY goes bad.

It's a shame as I've used Bose speakers in my home since the early 70's with no issues at all. For now, I'll stick with my Fenders.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It is a great system (although Pricey) for light amplification of acoustic guitar, vocals, etc. I don't think it is good for heavy amplification of full range music. We just did an event where the hotel was using the system for a DJ in a medium sized room and it was overdriving the system quite a bit and just didn't have the punch of traditional speakers.

The system really isn't designed for a group or a lot of music. The original concept was for a light jazz group or something along those lines to have each performer individually miked through his own tower system. It's an interesting concept as it gives you a very "acoustic" sound and mix but at a higher volume.

For most situations I would really recommend a traditional system for the money and output.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

So we've learned that:
It's expensive
There's cheaper out there
There's better out there
There's better AND cheaper out there

That it won't fill a big room.
Knowing Bose, it uses those tiny little drivers which won't deliver accurate bass in a larger room.

If it's not good for full range amplification of music (which I can certainly believe) it sounds you're paying top dollar for poor sound and so you don't have to run the little wire connecting 2 of them, and a funky design.

They are the Penquin Magic of audio.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I just worked with an Elvis impersonater who had the 2 sub woofer set, and it was incredible!
It was outside and he was in front of it and it was just as loud right in front of it as it was 200 feet out.
I used to use Bose 802's which I loved for my voice, but they didn't have the base response I needed for my game show. The 2 sub set would do the job if you have tHe money and want to spend it.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

So what's the cost of the bose system with 2 subwoofers?
I shiver to think of the final cost.

I'm sure a couple smartly placed Mackies or JBL EONs on stands would absolutely blow it away with no need for subwoofers.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2009-05-13 14:58, Frank Starsini wrote:
I'm sure a couple smartly placed Mackies or JBL EONs on stands would absolutely blow it away with no need for subwoofers.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Again they designed the system for each member of a small combo to each have their own tower system. That way you have 5 or so independant systems on stage and and it creates sort of an accoustic mix of the sound. Clever way to sell 5 systems in place of one!

I think they realized that original marketing idea wasn't realy working so they started trying to convince people it was ok for a stand alone system but that wasn't the original design intent.
Ray Pierce
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

And you would actually want an acoustic mix (horrible smearing) of the sound for what purpose?

This is sounding worse and worse. And more expensive and more expensive as the day goes on.

I can't wait to hear what they think up next.

For their next trick...Let me guess... their THD (total harmonic distortion) is the lowest in the industry Smile

For those that don't know, THD is/was used as a consumer guideline for buying a stereo because the consumer thought that...the lower the distortion, the better. But, in fact, audio companies were trying to outdo each other to get the lowest THD by putting a negative feedback loop into the signal which, indeed, lowered the THD but in fact made the sound much worse.

They all knew it and none of them really cared. My home stereo, for instance, has 1% THD (I think) but most Japanese electronics are usually down in the .0002% THD or something fascinatingly low (and meaningless) like that.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... yeah, I think you figured it out! Actually the multi tower blending was very interesting on some light jazz groups. It had a great organic quality and didn't sound processed or amplified in any way. I was expecting some weird phasing problems but it sounded pretty seamless. Of course the trade off was buying 5 - 10 full systems for this! You can picture the Bose Marketing team saying "How can we sell more gear?" and someone going "Hey, what if we told each musician in a group to buy their own system!" and they jumped on it.

This idea came out quite a few years ago and never caught on (of course) due to the expense, but for an "unplugged" type performance that needed some amplification where money was no object, it was an interesting solution with a nice sound.
Ray Pierce
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Keep in mind this is the Bose compact. I think some of you are getting it mixed up with the regular L1. The compact costs much less. I compared my passport and this side by side and the volume was about the same. The sound quality was better with the Bose.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I believe the L1 compact has about half the drivers in the tower and a smaller sub driver. For a small room it has a very clean and clear quality for voice. If you notice the presets are for voice or acoustic guitar. This is what it's best at. In an intimate coffee house for spoken word, it would be perfect. For a singer with an acoustic guitar in a medium size room it could get by. In a larger hall for full range music, not so much.
Ray Pierce
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

If you're in the market for something in that price range, with high quality sound, I'd certainly look into JBL EON 10G2, and I believe Carvin has new line of equipment that is even cheaper and I'll bet it sounds far far better than the fender or bose.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2283 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-05-13 21:05, magicsoup wrote:
Keep in mind this is the Bose compact. I think some of you are getting it mixed up with the regular L1. The compact costs much less. I compared my passport and this side by side and the volume was about the same. The sound quality was better with the Bose.

For the record, I was mixed up when I posted my review. I was speaking of the regular LI, not the compact. That must explain why many of you are saying this system is not good for a larger room. I use the regular L1 in large school assemblies (gyms, Cafétoriums, outdoors, and many other odd situations) and it has always worked fine. Of course there are more powerful systems out there, but portability the system is also important to me. I have seen nothing else that is this portable and yet fill a room with such quality sound at the same time.
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » New Bose system (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL