The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stooges vs. Abbott and Costello vs. Laurel and Hardy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Marx Brothers, hands down, no contest. But I love'em all.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Brings to mind the time when I was in the service (Air Force) and me and my best friend took the time to memorize "Who's on First" line for line, then when we needed a cab to go somewhere, when we were in the back seat of the cab, we would impromptu break into the routine. Always made a cab driver's day!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 01:13, daffydoug wrote:
Brings to mind the time when I was in the service (Air Force) and me and my best friend took the time to memorize "Who's on First" line for line, then when we needed a cab to go somewhere, when we were in the back seat of the cab, we would impromptu break into the routine. Always made a cab driver's day!

That's great! I'd love to do that!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-05-14 06:31, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-14 05:13, ed rhodes wrote:
My favorite comedy team would be The Marx Brothers, but they're not on the list.

So I'd have to say Abbott and Costello. I've been watching a little of the Stooges lately, (my kid fell in love with them) and after seeing the lite version of their story on television, I have to say I have a lot more respect for what they did up on the screen... but I still don't think it's funny!

...and I never liked Laurel and Hardy!

Oops! Sorry! Add the Marx Brothers to the list too. My bad!

Well, frankly, it was fair that they weren't on the list since they didn't do shorts that would turn up on Saturday morning television. In fact, until Groucho did his Carnigie Hall appearance, they were beginning to fall by the wayside.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Laurel & Hardy for me every time.

I loved the fact that whilst they were funny and silly the characters could also be kind and noble.

"Way Out West" would be their film high light for me although I remember on UK TV they used to also show their shorts late at night, it was a great feeling going to bed after having a good old laugh at these two.

Marx Brothers a close second...they were an early forerunner to the likes of Python and Groucho was fab.

Never really liked the 3 Stooges...I sometimes got a feel of meanness about their humour, somthing I would also feel about Chaplin who I thought was over praised compared to the likes of Keaton.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 09:04, Carrie Sue wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 01:13, daffydoug wrote:

That's great! I'd love to do that!

Carrie

We were wild back in my Air Force days! Anything went!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 18:02, Gilgamesh_The_Librarian wrote:
Laurel & Hardy for me every time.

I loved the fact that whilst they were funny and silly the characters could also be kind and noble.

"Way Out West" would be their film high light for me although I remember on UK TV they used to also show their shorts late at night, it was a great feeling going to bed after having a good old laugh at these two.

Marx Brothers a close second...they were an early forerunner to the likes of Python and Groucho was fab.

Never really liked the 3 Stooges...I sometimes got a feel of meanness about their humour, somthing I would also feel about Chaplin who I thought was over praised compared to the likes of Keaton.

The thing about L&H was that they had a certain "gentleness" about their comedy. You sensed that thee guys really loved each other. (and of course, in real life they were dear friends.)

What I can't understand is that with all the great shorts they made, how come they are not released on DVD? Some of their "not so good" one's are available, but the best ones are kept under wraps somewhere. What gives with this?

The one they released, "Atoll K", Stan was ill when they filmed it, and he even looks sick in the footage. Why do they want to release that stuff when they made dozens of other great classics?

I think someone is sitting on these somewhere, and they are going to rot in the vault. Crying shame.

Oh! I just found this! Dick und Doof! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhB0M4Kkw......M-rev-rn
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I put the Marx Bros in first place, but Who's on First is, IMO, about the most perfect seven minutes of comedy ever.

Hey Daffy, my son and I memorized the routine also, and we used to do it randomly on the subway. It was fun to see the other passengers' reactions as they slowly realized what was going on.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Marx Brothers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBIsDBC848

My brother and I tear up laughing at this.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 18:42, landmark wrote:
I put the Marx Bros in first place, but Who's on First is, IMO, about the most perfect seven minutes of comedy ever.

Hey Daffy, my son and I memorized the routine also, and we used to do it randomly on the subway. It was fun to see the other passengers' reactions as they slowly realized what was going on.

Amazing! I thought me and my friend were the only one!

Which version did you do? They had variations through the years. The one we memorized was directly from the movie. We actually bought a poster with the script on it that we tacked on our barracks room wall, and memorized it off the poster! (Took some work!)

Then when we had it perfected, we hit the taxi cabs and had some real fun!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I joined an organization called "The Movie Book Club." Every month you would be offered some book(s) concerning the movie industry. When I joined, the poster with "Who's On First" was offered for free. In time, I donated it to my piano class which was woefully anticeiptic (sp). It may still be there for all I know.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hmmmmm. You probably learned it off th same poster I did! This was the movie version, precisely word for word.

What impressed me, was that in their variations, with all the changes, they still never missed a beat! I don't know if the variations were improvised on the spot or if they were making up as they went along, but A&C were definitely consummate in their verbal and comedic timing! These two were sharp!

For verbal hijinks, they take the top prize. When I think of all the routines they did along that theme, it's really amazing.

A. Iron ore...

C. iron or what?

A. Here's a nice pillow for your father, filled up with down.

C. How can the pillow be up if it's down?

A. A horse eats his fodder. You take his fodder and put it in a bag and hang it on the horses nose, and he eats his fodder,

C. What are they, CANNIBALS??

A That horse is a mudder....

Etc, etc, etc

And I'm sure they had more I never even heard.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-05-15 00:22, gaddy wrote:
Required reading:

"My Brother Larry" by: Moe Howard (Morris Feinberg)

???

Moe Howard was Moses Horowitz, brother of Jerome (Curly) and Shemp. Louis Feinberg (Larry Fine) was not Moe's brother. Larry's brother, Morris, was called Moe, but was not 'Moe Howard.'

http://www.stoogeworld.com/_Biographies/Moe.htm
http://www.threestooges.com/bios/bios.asp?intStoogeID=2
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
My all-time favorite Marx Bros. flick was "Monkey Business."
- Albert Camus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Duck Soup for me.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Hail, hail Freedonia..."
- Albert Camus
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Horse Feathers
"Whatever it is, I'm against it"

or from Animal Crackers
"Left handed moths"
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
The L&H film in which they get high on laughing gas, causing much annoyance to Officer Kennedy is, appropriately enough, "Leave 'em Laughing."

Apparently, most of the Hal Roach produced Laurel and Hardy films are owned by a company (Lions Gate maybe?) that has no great interest in releasing the films on DVD and also no interest in licensing the films to another company for a DVD release. A most peculiar business model.

You may still be able to find a DVD that includes "Way Out West" and "Blockheads" (two of Stan and Ollie's funniest films) and a somewhat battered print of their short subject "Chickens Come Home."

The reason Atoll K (or Utopia) is so widely available is it was never copyrighted in the United States (!), so apparently anyone and his brother can release a DVD version of it. Hmmmm.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks for the good info. I have "Way out west" and foreign legion, but I also have some great ones on 8mm film that I purchased years ago. unfortunately, I know longer have a projector.

I also taped a lot of the shorts off TV years ago on VHS, but don't currently have a VCR.

DVD is the way to go.

These people (Lions gate) are definitely doing the world a vast dis-service by sitting on these classic shorts like a bunch of big, fat, bloated over stuffed frogs.

Entire new generations could be rediscovering Stan and Ollie's classic comedy. I don't know WHAT their #@&*% problem is, but they need to get a life.

You are right. That is INDEED a peculiar business model.

Stinks.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
It's a shame Laurel and Hardy's wonderful shorts haven't gotten a proper DVD release, by and large. But several of their features have gotten nice DVD treatments, so there is a silver lining.

This may interest some of you. If you go to the "What's New" of the website and scroll down, you'll get to a link for an essay about some of the foreign-language versions of L&H films (not dubbed, by the way!) complete with some fascinating film clips. You haven't lived until you've seen Stan Laurel speak Spanish with his Ulverston accent:

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stooges vs. Abbott and Costello vs. Laurel and Hardy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL