The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry your restaurant magic around? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Not much to add really, Table hopping I keep everything in my pockets. However, I do not want bulgy pockets (I have said elsewhere I do not wear a jacket and have short sleeves, I wear a waist coat which is slightly longer than normal and square cut rather than tapered at the bottom this looks better as I am not slim) I have extra pockets put into the coat when my talior is making them. actually I am waiting for 3 new ones from her at the moment. depending on what I plan to perform I might also wear a dushecks vest
under the waistcoat.
phillip
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I always wear a jacket, and everything goes in the pockets. I have my Mullica wallet with " Flash cash", Colour Monte and some odd cards for Hoodwinked and card warp. This gets them used to the wallet before I do card to wallet, (Usually my closer.)

Often people will ask me to sit and join them at the table while I work, and time and sight lines permitting, I can do cups and balls (Jiggernaut), triumph and other card effects that are easier on the table, more variations on sponge balls etc. If not I have enough to work all in the hands and up in their sight line.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2002-03-22 21:47, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Actually, I do cups and balls table-hopping--a two cup, one ball routine with three final loads.

Chop Cup Routine with one of the restaurant's coffee cups is VERY cool...

Gunney
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Dittos - Scott Guinn

I usually carry everything in my pockets.
I have a briefcase that locks and usually store it some place relatively safe but accessable. Anytime you can come up with a routine utilizing items on the table it's great (ie... one cup routine with a coffee cup, Williamson's spoon routine, torn and restored napkin, a table knife as a wand... I actually tried the Vernon wand spin with it... don't work there anymore.)

I try to avoid the bulgy look.
I bulge enough as it is.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
I hear of people going on their rounds with a bum bag (fanny bag) this seems practicle for carrying more props or if doing a longer routine than normal.

As for me, I more than manage with just my pockets Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I've seen friends use a fanny pack/belt bag while wearing a tux.

IMHO, it looked goofy.

I believe the FP/BB should only be worn outdoors (such as at a picnic or park event) and with a less formal attire.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
When I first started out in restaurants, I performed with an assistant (my wife). I worked out of my pockets for the most part, but she was able to keep various other props in a very elegant, evening purse.

Many, many times, when I was finished with a routine or an effect, I would hand my props to her and go on to the next routine or the next table. She was also my 're-set man'. This way, I could perform non-stop if needed.

We still perform together in this manner on a number of occassions... people really enjoy our 'teamwork'. And besides... she certainly adds a certain 'Class' to my close-up/table-side show.

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Dittos - Geoff.

Fanny packs are convenient but unsightly...hmm..sound like my ex-wife.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Fanny Pack--I think I used to go to school with her!

I agree that they are incongrous with a Tux. That's where stuff like the Klamm and Chazpro pocket organizers come in handy.

I did a walkaround gig at the Grand Opening of a water park in a local town. It has kind of a Safari theme, so I wore Khaki shorts, Hiking Boots, a white Polo shirt, a pith helmet and one of those khaki fisherman's vests with about 25 pockets (where I kept my props). It worked well for me and the client LOVED that I came "in costume!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
huntles
View Profile
New user
Australia
9 Posts

Profile of huntles
The venue should help to dictate the kind of storage means suitable. Personally in most cases I use a jacket that I've had altered (best $20 I've payed to a seamstress!) with extra pockets along the bottom insides.

IMHO I find that "FP"'s etc can be distracting to an audience, especially if you have to fish around in them within your set. I like to be able to casually reach inside my jacket to ditch / then produce whatever needs to be used next. Smile
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I try to keep all of my props in my pockets.
Occasionally I will use just the edge of the table, but for the most part the table is off limits... Smile
Tony Chapparo
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
I arrive at the venue with a briefcase and garment bag. I get dressed and load my pockets with most of what I will need. However, there are some consumables that need replacement. For example, I'll usually do a C&R rope routine which requires about 6 feet of 1/4" rope. I'll load up a few bundles in my pocket, but after about 6 tables, I have to reload. At the same time, I'll add or subtract stuff into my pockets. So, for example, I may add sponge rabbits and take out some dice tricks.

As for cups and balls, I perform many versions: one cup, two cups, three cups and ball vase. Usually, if the venue is cramped (like most restraunts), the ball vase routine is best, as it takes up very little room on the table. If I have a bit more room, then I will do a one cup routine, etc.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of amakar
I'm a big fan of the tote-bag change bag...Its great for storing balloons on one side and smaller props on the other.
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I carry my cups and close up mat in my hands. When I approach a table and ask if they would care to see magic. I tell them I would like to borrow a portion of there table the size of my close up mat. Every blue moon I come to a table that has no room at all and they would love to see magic. I usually set my cups and mat on the floor and do something that is in my pocket that can be performed in my hands. However 99.9999% of the time people have no problem clearing a space.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20553 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As far as I am concerned table space availability is a couple of issues. First if you perform after the meal, then there should be no real issue here. Second if they have spacifically asked to see you, instead of approaching cold, then most of the time they clear a space for you.

Once you are invited and welcome, the table space is not an issue. I don't go to tables I am not invited to anyway. Space is not an issue when they are expecting you I guess is my point.

Good Luck

Danny
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Yes a Gib would not look good with a suite or tux! But looks perfectly fine with a vest.

I made one by sewing 2 generic looking umpire ball bags together side by side..then attacking apron type strings...To give it more of a "pouch" so the pockets tops were not flush with my body and therefor not open and easy for my hands to slip into...I put in a "dart"..or I should say..cut out a "V" shape hunk of material in the center of the top/back...and re sewed it.

Plenty of room/pockets..I can carry a large amount of balloons in once side and plenty of magic in the other including a chop cup or full C & B set. I also made a small table surface the size of a close up mat that easily clamps on to the edge of the table. Works great..very versitile.

Mark
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's the gib I use for strolling...

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/pouches/pouches.cfm
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1401 Posts

Profile of Jared
I'm more selective about my material so that I can carry everything on my person. Once in a while I may bring along a small leather 'shaving' type bag to keep a few extra props provided that I have a safe place to leave them.

-Jared
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I wear a sport coat and use pants and jacket pockets.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Depending on the venue, you, your style and needs, why not carry any bulky stuff in... A DOGGY BAG.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you carry your restaurant magic around? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL