The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Soldier's Playing Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4818 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I thought maybe some of you might find the following story useful in your gospel magic.

A SOLDIER’S PLAYING CARDS:

After heavy fighting, a soldier returned to camp. The next day being Sunday, the Chaplain had set up church service.

The men were asked to take out their Bibles or Prayer Books.

The Chaplain noticed one soldier looking at a deck of cards. After service, he was taken by the Chaplain to see the Major. The Chaplain explained to the Major what he had seen.

The Major told the young soldier he would be punished if he could not explain himself.

The young soldier told the Major that during the battle, he had neither a Bible or a Prayer Book so he would use his deck of cards and explained:

You see, Sir, when I look at the ACE, it tells me that there is one GOD and no other.

When I see the "2," it reminds me that there are two parts the Bible, the OLD TESTAMENT and the NEW TESTAMENT.

The "3" tells me of the TRINITY OF GOD THE FATHER, GOD THE SON and GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT.

The "4" reminds me of the FOUR GOSPELS, MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE and JOHN.

When I see the "5," it tells me of the FIVE UNWISE VIRGINS who were lost and that five were saved.

The "6" makes me mindful that GOD CREATED THE EARTH IN JUST SIX DAYS, and GOD said that it was good.

When I see the "7," it reminds me that GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY.

As I look at the "8," it reminds me that GOD DESTROYED ALL HUMAN LIFE BY WATER EXCEPT FOR EIGHT PEOPLE, Noah, his wife, their three sons, and their three son’s wives.

When I see the "9," I think of the NINE LEPERS that GOD healed. There were ten lepers in all, but only one stopped to thank him.

The "10" reminds me of the TEN COMMANDMENTS carved in stone by the hand of GOD.

The "JACK" makes me remember the Prince of Darkness. Like a roaring lion, he devours those that he can.

When I look at the "QUEEN," I see THE CHURCH, THE BRIDE OF JESUS.

As I look at the last card, THE KING," it reminds me that JESUS IS LORD OF LORDS and KING OF KINGS."

There are 365 spots on a deck of cards, and that is the number of days in each year.

There are 52 cards to a deck and that is the number of weeks in a year.

There are 12 picture cards and that is the number of months in a year.

There are 4 different suits in a deck and that is the number of seasons in a year..."

And so, the young soldier then said to the Major, You see, Sir, my intentions were honorable. My deck of cards serves as my BIBLE, my PRAYER BOOK and my ALMANAC.

Most importantly, my deck of cards reminds me that I need JESUS...

365 days, 52 weeks and 12 months a year and that I should always PRAY 4 others."

May you never look at a deck of cards the same way!

I Know I Won’t!!!!

Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Wow that is really cool Steve!!!

:D Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Wow Smile That is great Steve Smile

Smile Smile I love it! Smile Smile
Jim
View Profile
New user
Southern CA
3 Posts

Profile of Jim
Steve

That story was outstanding

Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4818 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I'm glad you all liked it, thanks for the input! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
Steve,

Thanks for sharing that great story. Did you know that we’ve made that up into a magic spelling routine? Dock Called it "Think King, but I’m changing it to "A Soldiers Bible"

Let’s try those smileys again... Smile

Steve Varro
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I suppose you know this, or maybe not, but that piece was a huge country music hit many years ago. It was Tex Ritter, who was the father of John Ritter, the current actor...at least he calls himself that. Tex was known as a real cowboy and was in the movies. His most famous song was the theme from "High Noon" the classic with Gary Cooper.

A lightweight pop version of the song, as in no cowboy accent, was also recorded by Wink Martindale...a deejay from LA. It was not nearly as popular. I am sure it would not be hard to find a copy of the Ritter disc if you ever want to hear it.

quack
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
According to Jean Hugard in "The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" (Max Holden, Publisher, New York, 1937), "The Perpetual Almanac" or "Soldier's Prayer Book" was printed in the "Seven Dials" of London two or three centuries ago, which significantly predates Tex.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I was not trying to claim that Tex or Wink were the originators on this. I was stating that Tex and Wink had talkie versions that were played on thousands of pop and country radio stations during the 1960’s.

Neither of these guys wrote the piece but most certainly, through the mass media, they had the most popular "hits" with this as a performance piece. These versions were widely circulated.

My idea was to let people know that, if they wanted to hear those words put to music professionally, the songs would likely be available commercially.

Often with words and songs, the artist who performs the song becomes much more closely identified with, and famous from, the song than the composer.

quack
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Besides Tex and Wink, Jimmy Dean also did a version of it.

No matter who originally wrote it, or who may have performed it, it is one of those things that should be passed on and on for centuries!

I had heard it many times, but until now, had forgot about it. Thanks, Steve for bringing it back to the surface.

I am interested in the Civil War, and have a few relics hanging in my house. In an old book dated 1864, you will find a copy of this. Even then, this story had special meaning. And now, as the world is trying to recover from September 11th, maybe we all should carry a deck of cards with us!

Bengi

Smile Smile
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
If anyone is interested in other versions of this I have soft copies of three. One is set during the Korean war (full on fear of the red communist terrors) Smile

Another is a cowboys version, and the last is set in an un-named war.

It's too big to post it all here but if anyone would like a copy PM me and I'll be happy to forward it to you.

cheers
MAynooth Smile
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
johncrosby
View Profile
New user
Oviedo, FL
67 Posts

Profile of johncrosby
Steve,

That is absolutely AWSOME, I will be using it with my 8th Grade Sunday School class very soon. Smile
Simon Williams
View Profile
New user
Reading, UK
54 Posts

Profile of Simon Williams
Can I also point out Robert E Neale's version in his 'Tricks of the Imagination'. His is a very well thought out routine - even the cards look like a Bible at the beginning. There is a well worked routine which ends in a production of a royal flush. What's more the whole thing resets pretty well instantly. (I would recommend this book for the very many excellent routines in it)
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
953 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Rhett Bryson released a small publication (called "the Devil's Prayerbook") with all versions of this story and addendums that get added regularly as people contribute. As of now he's up to version 9.0.

Check it out at his website
http://www.furman.edu/~bryson/books.html

Highly recommended for patter to add to your presentation.

With a little effort on search engines, you can find this story on various websites throughout the internet complete with music, java script, etc.

It's a very interesting story and worthwhile to add part, if not all, to your performance.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I really like this one. I learned it off of the Wink Martindale song. From that, I adapted and expanded on the trick and the story so that I use the entire deck of cards, a la 'Sam the Bellhop' by Bill Malone. If you're interested in it, PM me and I'll be happy to share it with you.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I heard that in a song by Red Sovine, I think.
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
I'm doing a few tricks for a large dinner at my old church. They are supposed to have a large screen/camera set up, so I can do some close up stuff. I'm thinking of doing this story with some card revelations, like the 654 club
bravesaint
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
95 Posts

Profile of bravesaint
nice story, I really enjoyed it
-Bravesaint
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Steve

I have just found this and think that it is great. This is sort of a Gospel Wayne Dobson/Bill Malone Routine. I have been going to Church for about 10 Months now and am growinhg in my faith. Also I have been doing Magic for about 2 years and 6 months and would like to add 1 or 2 gospel routines to my knowledge and preformances. I ahve yet to ask my pastor/vicor about his views on magic (However I will phrase it as the art of sleight of hand just incase he doesn't understand)

All The Best
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
True Soldier,
This is a great routine to use to introduce the idea of doing magic in a church, because you can focus more on the idea of a 'story with a deck of cards' than a 'magic trick' with a deck of cards. I've used it in church settings for years, and it has always gone over very well. Best of luck, Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » A Soldier's Playing Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL