The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table hopping dress code? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
What do people tend to wear for table hopping, tails, a suit, casual clothing, what?

I realize that some things hold advantages like a jacket allows a topit and also disadvantages that you might get real hot
Smile

What do people tend to wear?

james
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I think the rule of thumb here, is to be at least as well dressed as the customers at the restaurant. However, do not overdress, to where you look like a clown (A guy walks up to you dressed in a tux at MacDonalds) Smile

I guess it all depends on where you live.... I would dress in slacks, a golf shirt, and a sport's coat (for holding tricks and maybe a topit), but that's just me.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Whatever the atmosphere is. If it is a fun place with lots of kids, then I would wear a button down shirt with some fun print with slacks (not jeans) I have a black long sleve shirt with yellow smilie face all over it. You could also find a Colorful vest. Look in trift shops they always have vests for a 1.oo or 2.00. I have found some with Mickey mouse, cards, balloons I have a stack of them. As you can "kinda see" in my picture I have silks poking out of the vest I have on.
I also am wearing a white turtle-neck. The vest has pockets all around it for carring effects. For a formal type place I would wear a suit but maybe with a bright red or blue jacket. I like the fun style because that's what I am and I want them to see this. Just keep it modest. Don't overdue it.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I wear a sportcoat and colorful tie at the family restaurant where I tablehop.

I feel it's important to dress ONE LEVEL UP from the guests:

If they are VERY casual, I'm business casual (a suitcoat, tie is optional depending on the climate involved)

If they are business casual, I'm in a suit and tie.

If they are in suits, I'm in a tux.

If they are in tuxes, I'm in a flashy tux (brilliantly-colored tie and cummerbund, vest, etc.)

If it's an outdoor picnic situation (where folks will be dressed in T-shirts and shorts), I wear a very colorful, open-necked shirt with dressy black shorts (like what high school coaches wear) and shiny, super-clean tennis shoes. A spiffy-yet-comfortable look.

This strategy has worked very nicely for me. If you're dressed in the same level of outfit as your guests, you won't be recognizably as "different" as you probably should be.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Excellent advice, Geoff!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Geoff makes a very good point: You must -- absolutely must -- be different from the guests/customers.
It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you are identifiable as someone "special" and not "one of them".
Needless to say, above all else, cleanliness is critical.
(So, if it's "needless to say", then why did I say it?) Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
I like to dress better than most. Rule of thumb! "Dress like you have got somwhere better to go later" My motto: Speak softly and wear a loud Tunic he, he, he.

Telemus
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
It goes without saying that it depends on the situation, a local burger bar will require different dress from say a rich mans dinner party. Geoff is spot on though, try and add that bit of class to your act by dressing better than the audience. not only does it make you stand out as a magician, from a pychological point of view, it gives you a sense of confidence and it makes you seem more authoritative which means they'll be more inclined to trust what you say.
Saxon
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I usually wear a suit with no tie. I find that works in all but the most hoidy-toidy places.

I don't wear anything garish, colorful, or clownish. It doesn't fit my persona and I pick up better bookings because of it. I think that I would have less chance of being offered a follow-on corporate or private party if I dressed to "stand out." Unfortunately, whether it's justified or not, I've found in my personal experience that the more you dress that way, the more likely people think of you as only a children's entertainer. While I do children's entertainment, it's not all that I do and I don't want to be pigeon-holed.

I dress well enough to show that I'm neat, but not stuffy. Although important in its own right, dress is certainly far down the list after persona and communicative abilities. Ideally, you're making sure you're set in all those areas.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
I wear a pair of jungle green overalls with black boots and a charcoal gray balaclava.
"One arrow. One life."
Baz94
View Profile
New user
Kent/Eng
91 Posts

Profile of Baz94
I usually go by what the staff there are wearing. If they are shirt and ie, I wear the same. If it is a top dollar type place, a real good suit! If the party is a special thing like a wedding then shirt and tie but if it is a birthday party or something casual, I dress smart casual.

It always depends on the type of venue it is really.

As Teller once said "Doing all magic everywhere wearing a tux is so out of date" but there are times when you should wear a tux like a real posh venue.
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
I think I will mix and match with baz's and geoffs ideas
james
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
One thing is to not dress similar to the wait-staff. You want to avoid being confussed with the staff and be asked for water or to remove items etc.
Steve V
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
When it comes to appearance, all I can say is, follow your instincts and be sure to clip your fingernails. The one standing ovation I got was at a Wendy's where I was wearing an off-color pair of jeans (think they were tan) and a weird-checkered shirt I'd just gotten from the thrift store. In fact, I'd recommend going to a thrift store and just looking at what people have thrown away - sometimes you'll find something that has a magical look to it.
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
I myself, choose what to wear based upon what the rest of the staff wears. Most of the time, that is brightly colored T-shirts, and weird pants or shorts. In this case I wear a black vest, a plain company t-shirt underneath, and a pair of black pants. It sets me apart from the rest of the staff, so the guests know that I should be there, but that I am not there to get their drinks for them.

David.
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Black shirt, Black sport coat. Effects are easier to see against black. I vary the pants depending on the venue.

Scotty York wears an apron and uses it to his advantage.

Dittos - Geoff on the one level above thing.

Dittos - PM on wearing something that sets you apart like the vest thing.

Unless I am going to priest bar I usually stand out. Being six and a half feet tall helps too.

But...you know...if I really wanted to stand out I would squeeze a little figure like Geoff does.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Thanks, J.R.

Yes, my "helping hand" Carl the Alien is a real crowd favorite. I'll try not to squeeze him too hard.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
Anyone who quotes Black Adder is ok in my book. What exactly do you do with "Carl"? I use a little Fred Flintstone figure to end a sponge ball routine. Fred always gets applause.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
Dress like a vagrant. Make yourself seen. And people don't expect a bum to be good at magic. so, that's one. And they always get the money!
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Hmmm... and what should one wear when performing at a nudist colony?

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table hopping dress code? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL