The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit in your car (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
What kind of carrier would be best to purchase for traveling same day with a rabbit?

Also, how do you keep the car clean and odor free?
It seems if you put a litter box in the carrier, it might tip over or stuff fall out while driving.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mike, I use a small pet carrier to trasport my bunnies. I made bottoms from another old cage and line the bottom with paper, and some type of liter. My bunnies use the rear of the cage as a bathroom so I put some oderless kitty liter back there in that area.

My rabbits live in large outdoor hutches, and they only travel in these carriers. Oder is never a problem if you clean the carriers out. If I am traveling far and my bunnies live in these carriers for about a week then they need cleaned. If cleaned regular, odor is never a problem.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1602 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I transport the bunny in a wicker basket I bought from a store call (IKEA).
It's quite sturdy and can take a beating.I'm using the present one for almost 4 years now and it still looks good.
I use Pampers with a hard mesh wire for a elevated base. The Pampers soaks up the urine which prevents any odor.
During the cold months, I use Velcro to wrap a insulated cloth material around the basket to keep the bunny warm. During the summer months I remove the material.
The wicker basket works well for me. It provides fresh air at all times.
Ikea discontinued the basket for whatever reason. I knew they were going to do that, so I bought 4 extra ones for future use.
TrickyRicky
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Thank guys. This is extremely helpful.

Another question -

At showtime, I would like to leave the carrier in the car to avoid the extra trip at every show. Are there any issues with or some advice about putting the rabbit in a box in the middle shelf of a suitcase table?
I would think this is ok for the 1 hour since my rabbit likes to hide in small dark places.
The main concern is again odor and mess in the box.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mike, I cannot really say about the shelf. Is it enclosed? As long as there is enough space and air it will be ok. However, there will most likely be a mess...at least sometimes.

If you have to do it this way, I would suggest building something to fit within the shelf to keep the bunny in. Make it out of something that can be easily cleaned. I would make a wire floor, and line the bottom with paper and liter. If you leave a bunny on a solid floor he might get in the mess he makes. Also, if if put paper and/or liter in there to absorb the mess, he still may get a little messy, and some bunnies will dig in the liter, and chew the paper. I had one bunny that started digging and throwing liter out everywhere. He only started doing this as he got a little age on him. He is the reason I added the wire bottom to my carriers. That is actually the best move I ever made, so I have to to thank for that!

Another problem might be noise from digging, scratching or moving about. Bunnies are different, so maybe yours will not do this, but some do. If you are going to leave a rabbit in a box for that long, then it has to have enough space to move around. Well, that can be problematic, so you have to consider that too. I always carry my bunny in with the carrier. I try to do it discreetly, and its usually not a problem. I have enough boxes to hide it prety well. If there are too many people close around I sometimes cover the carrier with a large foulard that I use during my show until I can get it hidden backstage, in another room, or within the boxes.

Regan
Mister Mystery
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Quote:
On 2009-05-16 12:20, Regan wrote:

I would make a wire floor, and line the bottom with paper and liter. the boxes.

Regan

This is what I had in mind. If the wire bottom is a raised enough, so he can't get in the mess. The hard part is finding a box to fit and then a wire bottom to fit the box.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Mike, I made my wire bottom out of an old rabbit cage. I think wire grating should be available at hardware stores. I just cut a piece a little larger than the bottm of my carrier. I allowed about a inch on each side and also at the front and back. I bent 1 inch of the wire down on each side, and at the rear at a 90 degree angle. The way my carrier worked I did not bend the wire at rhe front, but allowws it to protrude. It fits my carrier perfectly.

As far as the box goes, you may be able to find a box that would fit somewhere. Look around at Michael's or somewhere like that. They usually have a lot of various sized boxes made of lightweight wood. They are inexpensive, and if you could find one the correct size you could drill a bunch of airholes in it. Or you might even be able to find one with a screened lid. I'm prety sure I have seen some like that at Michael's before.Either way, you could install a wire bottom, and have the perfect bunny box!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
281 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
My Town and Country should hit 207,000 miles on the way to tomorrow's job, and Beowulf has ridden in the passenger floor well for years. I change out the towel on the floor regularly, and he has his water bowl there too.

For transport I built a small box with a handle on the top and a front that hinges down flat. The front of the box is cut out except for a one inch frame. I used some left over wire screening from the dog run to provide plenty of light and air. The floor has a cardboard sheet, and when he's in his show box, Beowulf looks like he's appearing on a tiny television.

The box goes in my steamer trunk and leaves plenty of room for a balloon-to-bunny, Abbott's Elusive Bunny, or Rainbow Paint Factory. With one hand I can open the door and scoot Beowulf right over to production box.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is too easy!

In my younger days, and they did exist!, I had a rodeo miniature clowning mule named Mighty Martha. Sometimes she was hauled in the back seat of the car like a dog.

My place (Bridge Creek Ranch) was near the state prison. When inmates escaped they frequently visited the ranch. Also the legal community would show up there too to give them a ride back to the state lodging facility and more free meals. Many times the law would park in the barn yard and leave a back car door open so they could also hear the police radio.

Yep! You guessed it! Might Martha would scoot under the fence and get in the patrol car. They would have to call me to make her get out!

I never found out if they could get in trouble for picking up females in a state car. The tax payers would be the last to know.

Some females will get into a car with just anybody! Luckily she was safe.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit in your car (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL