We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is there such a thing as Hypnosis and Trance States (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicJono
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of MagicJono
There are lots of threads containing snippets of debates on this subject so I thought it would be good to make a thread specifically for this question to avoid ruining other threads.

All opinions and beliefs welcome!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Nah. It's all in your mind.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes and no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes & no for sure but it can also be all in your mind
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Marcus Nogueira
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
52 Posts

Profile of Marcus Nogueira
From my understanding, the spectator convinces themselves of a "trance" state.
Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K Chesterton
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
In a stage hypnosis show, it really doesn't matter. Ulitmatly, the question for the audience is "I paid, $40 for this ticket, did I have a good time, laugh, and enjoy myself....?"
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I'm not so sure Richard. If the audience really believed that hypnosis didn't exist they wouldn't buy tickets. They want to be entertained for sure. But they want real hypnosis.

Much like no ne wants to pay to see a fake mind reader.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
I feel this thread is way too long already...
... unless we actually should close the 'you are getting sleepy' room and have a: 'fairies at the bottom of the garden' room. But then someone might spoil it all by asking: "is there such a thing as fairies at the bottom of the garden?"
But then we'd be forced to answer: 'yes & no' and 'it's all in the mind' and.... well read the above.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
MagicJono
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of MagicJono
I agree Bobser DELETE this I am back on track
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-05-17 17:57, mindpunisher wrote:
I'm not so sure Richard. If the audience really believed that hypnosis didn't exist they wouldn't buy tickets. They want to be entertained for sure. But they want real hypnosis.

Much like no ne wants to pay to see a fake mind reader.

Excellent point. Come on back over to the Penny thread MP.

C
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Actually, I don't know if anyone has read the FAQ in the hypnosis section, but in theory this thread should not exist, as it is one of the topics to be excluded from discussion.... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=22&0

In reality on stage, some are never hypnotized and don't follow suggestions, these folks are dismissed. Others are in a light level of trance, and may or may not be entertaining, and/or respond to suggestions, others are in a mid-level and yet hopefully 1-3 are in a deep trance (and hopefully funny too). And all of these folks don;t stay in the same level of trance through a show, at times going depper, and at other times re-emerging, and the group willl have people doing this at varied levels and times from other group members...

I think many people make a mistake early on in believing that alll members of the comittee go into the same level of trance and the beginning of the show and stay there to the end of the show. Reality of far different with many levels and degrees or trance, suggestibility, and compliance, all varied amonth the participants in any single show....

Richard
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Trance itself is an unstable state. Even the best subjects move up and down the scale during a performance.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 04:06, mindpunisher wrote:
Trance itself is an unstable state. Even the best subjects move up and down the scale during a performance.

And during hypnotherapy, too. A good hypnotherapist will be aware of this and give suggestions in a style appropriate to the depth of the state.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But we have already been told that hypnosis does not exist.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=22&54
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicJono
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of MagicJono
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 01:30, Nongard1 wrote:
Actually, I don't know if anyone has read the FAQ in the hypnosis section, but in theory this thread should not exist, as it is one of the topics to be excluded from discussion.... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=22&0

Your right Richard, I have read that but my memory is not all that. I agree its not helpful of me. Apologies
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 13:29, MagicJono wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 01:30, Nongard1 wrote:

Your right Richard, I have read that but my memory is not all that. I agree its not helpful of me. Apologies

Yes but more than half the forum shouldn't be here either if you read those rules.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
And I don't mind the discussion actually, it seems to have been a bigger issue when the forum was young, and I think can now weather such a discussion in a way it couldn't at the beginning....
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Indeed, I agree with Richard... As long as self-righteous bozos don't try to tell me what I have to believe. I think it is quite legitimate and perhaps even important to have this discussion. For example, if someone is a really good actor and really pretends to be hypnotized and goes along with all of your suggestions, even though you may know that he is not hypnotized, should you keep him up as an entertainer?

In fact, if someone really pretends to be hypnotized, is there a difference between pretending really well and being hypnotized? I mean sure, the person isn't hypnotized, but what if you get the same results?

And there is the wonderful induction that uses pretending where you have the person pretend to feel, breath, think, relax, etc., and then eventually "pretend that you're not pretending and allow yourself to go deeper and deeper" etc...
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Many boundaries have been dissolved as the forum has progressed. Or perhaps regressed?

Can only be a good thing.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-05-18 18:10, dmkraig wrote:
Indeed, I agree with Richard... As long as self-righteous bozos don't try to tell me what I have to believe. I think it is quite legitimate and perhaps even important to have this discussion. For example, if someone is a really good actor and really pretends to be hypnotized and goes along with all of your suggestions, even though you may know that he is not hypnotized, should you keep him up as an entertainer?

In fact, if someone really pretends to be hypnotized, is there a difference between pretending really well and being hypnotized? I mean sure, the person isn't hypnotized, but what if you get the same results?

And there is the wonderful induction that uses pretending where you have the person pretend to feel, breath, think, relax, etc., and then eventually "pretend that you're not pretending and allow yourself to go deeper and deeper" etc...

Pretending is actually an induction in many cases. Since the trance state is unstable its likely that some people go in and out of trance which could be seen as pretending.

However someone who is really pretending is obvious I would always get rid of them as soon as they are detected.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is there such a thing as Hypnosis and Trance States (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL