The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bill Neff .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Look ...
http://www.indianagazette.com/articles/2......5653.txt

I was called by the writer for some info on Neff and performing "Life and Death"

It was an honor to be include in the article.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Coolness, I'm very intrigued by Neff stories.
Thanks Cardone!
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Like I said opn the other Cardone post, nicely done article. Now I'm inspired to reread Pleasant Nightmares, the Neff bigraphy.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Pleasant Nightmares is great...not to be missed.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Good news article. Sadly, it sounds like there's virtually nothing -- not even a plaque -- anywhere in the town of Indiana, PA to commemorate Neff's existence and recognize his significant contribution to mid-century American pop culture. For all his faults -- and being an abusive, neglectful father ranks high among all human failings -- he still deserves to be noted as the unique and innovative entertainer that he was.

Wonder if SAM or IBM could arrange for a commemorative plaque to be placed somewhere in town, in a park or a downtown theater, perhaps.

Cardone, care to launch a little campaign to keep Bill Neff's reputation alive in his hometown?
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Aside from Houdini's star on the Hollywood walk of fame, and that bust of Siegfried & Roy on the Vegas strip it's hard to think of any monuments to magicians. Are there any, anywhere, of Cardini, Channing Pollock, Dai Vernon, Blackstone, Kellar, Thurston?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Robert Houdin has a nice statue...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co......ois).jpg
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Well deserved. Congratulations Robert Houdin.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Before magicians begin embarrassing themselves calling him "Bobby Houdin" I will remind everyone that the statue has his correct name engraved upon the base: Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin.

We should all plan to have a marble statue carved of ourselves while we are still alive to supervise the carving and pay for it. Then store it in the garage and hope our relatives have sense enough to erect it in the town square instead of carting it off to the junkyard upon our demise.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I think that is a good idea Mark ... maybe we can all pitch in a bit of $ ...spead the word and lets see if it can be done .... I will email the writer and see if he has an idea too ..... more later.....cardone
Robin DeWitt
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Robin DeWitt
Bust of Vernon at The Magic Castle, as I recall.
I am the fakir, you....
<BR>Robin DeWitt
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
That video does not do it justice .... no way ......
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Neff was awesome and that life and death demo was pretty poor.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I spent one month of daily rehearsal making my Life and Death smooth and the routine tight......
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Abusive? From the mouths of babes? I once knew a child that thrashed and beat house plants with sticks, disfiguring them and knocking leaves, stems, shoots off them if not outright killing them only because his mother showed a "love" towards and was into house plants, tending them, watering them, trimming them. I know wonderful woman artist that throughout the seventies painted great portraits of Native American images on irregularly shaped redwood burl slabs. Her daughter despised her for this.When the mother became ill and lost her home in the mid nineties she had to give up all her paintings and discontinue her "love" of art in order to move in with the daughter's family.
Etching out a living as a self employed person can sometimes be rough. It is trying and can take much time "away" from family. On the other hand, some children can have magnified jealousies much like sibling rivalry. Whereas others may take these distractions as common place in their upbringing and have no issues about the time their father or parent is consumed by occupation to put bread on the table, others such as Neff's son, even Edgar Bergen's daughter as written in her book, Knock on Wood are or were severely damaged by their own inordinate jealousies. If you want to add alcohol into the equation, read Willard the Wizard or tales of famed country western singers whose fathers drank a bit but their children are all the better by it and unscathed by not taking it personally.
The writer of Pleasant Nightmares did not do justice be presenting a lopsided view of Neff by a grown child, and I do mean child, that has not worked towards forgiveness nor considered his father's calling in a time when drink was more than socially acceptable, fostered on 50's television by practically ever show host, and etching out a living as a magician in the tail end of its golden years.
The boy, albeit middle aged, hides in a quasi Christian belief system that somehow rejects forgiveness. It only took a sentence or two to spell out that the grandfather was a surly man that most likely daily denounced his son, Bill Neff, for his love of drink while dad, shunned alcohol and certainly lit it be known to this young man left in his charge.
Bill Neff held the fort down. He was a trooper for sure.
Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Doc:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

To me, I thought Bill Rauscher's book was well balanced. He went the extra mile by tracking down Bill Neff's son.

Gerry
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
I'm sorry,but that's not called going the extra mile, it's called research.
mjstat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mjstat
I hope you all do not mind a post from a non-magician. I am from Indiana, Pa (home of Bill Neff and Jimmy Stewart). I had never heard of Bill Neff but a friend of mind called me to let me know about Pleasant Nightmares. it turns out that I live in the house that Bill Neff lived in and the book has a full-page frontal view of the house. I also happen to find a picture of Neff and Stewart standing in the attic of my house that was published in Life Magazine.

As a result I did a search on Google to learn more about him and that brought me to this site.
mjstat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mjstat
http://www.indianagazette.com/articles/2......5653.txt

This is a link to the Indiana Gazette .. where a story on Bill Neff appeared 5/17/09
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bill Neff .... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL