The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What does an escape artist carry at all times when asked: "Hey do something!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Clean underwear.

..oh, wait...that was a differant question...nevermind.
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I tried carrying my wits. They just slipped through my fingers.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-05-21 09:54, escapeguy wrote:
I believe the one thing you should always have available is your wits
There is usually someting you can do, I have resorted to doing slight of hand with rocks, just whatever works, but, the "key" is your wits oh, I do keep something on me at all times and I have shown it to one certan gold hot pants wearing individual.
Heck, even during my thing with the police they searched me thouroughly several times and never found it

Gee Griff, I never really thought of keeping my wits about me! I guess it's so natural I do it automatically. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Escape guy! one thing I keep with me is "why the heck I ever wore gold pants."

I agree, keep your wits, that's why I don't drink. Keep the mind strong. If you don't, you might end up in gold pants in a room full of men and only two women.

take care out there.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Now THAT was witty.
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Ok ok admitedly the wits I keep on me at all times seem to have not kept up with inflation and appears to be more of a half wit, but hey I still got charm......LOL
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Wow ths subject went way off..
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
... that's why I don't drink. Keep the mind strong.

I dunno...beer made Bud wiser...

I know...gettin' in the box, Boss...
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I know Foster's makes some women look better and for the women who drink, ugly men look like sports stars.

Ian
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 15:53, jay leslie wrote:

(Not applicable to Doc Archer who has been known to be out in public without pants.)

It was pretty hot in California that day.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Thinking about this, how would anyone know you were an escapologist unless you were famous anyway ?

Magicians walk around in tophats with bunnies in their pockets,,,clowns have red noses but how would one be noticed as an ea,,,maybe walk about with an SJ on, or have the word Escapist stuck on the back of the jacket or a flashing buttom badge with "Press this button and I will escape from Jail" on it,,,!! Maybe have a set of cuffs hanging from the belt,,,,just like the fetish brigade (Or so I have been told pheeeew!).

Another method would be to go up to people and say "Hey, Im an escapologist,,,ask me to show you something !" Last time I tried this approach to a young lady,,,I got my face slapped.

So really its hard to work out why this should happen.

Ken.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Your right, Kevinr, this is way of track. So for my part in it I now offer a real answer...

Most of the time I have 3 cuff keys. They hang on a a loop of elastic thread and are pinned just inside the zipper of my pants. There they hang just low enough to remain unnoticed but easy to reach with just a quick unzip. Some of my tighter pants have a slit cut in the inside of the waistband and I can hide keys or shims there.
If pressed to "do something" I rarely do an escape unless someone has cuffs, like a cop. I will do something else from my show, a body control feat maybe, but I tend to save the escapes for the show. I mean when you meet a doctor do you ask "Hey, show me something..take out my gallbladder." No, I lean toward the "escape work is a special skill not a bar trick.." side of the fence and I play it off this way. Still, I carry my keys and tools because you never know when you'll have to put-up-or-shut-up.

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
That's an interesting question Ken. When would you get asked to do something?

I've got a few friends that do close-up card stuff and they always carry around a deck where ever they go, but very rarely do they get asked to do anything unless they are with other people who already know they do magic.

I have found myself in the situation where at a dinner party (my partner is a barrister so I often find myself at various legal functions etc) I meet new people and they always ask "so, what do you do?"

At which point I'll tell them I'm an escapologist a sometimes they'll ask to see something then. Since the whole point of these dinners is to network I hand them a card and some them something. Usually I'll do a thumb tie (I do Losander's Chain Breaker) since a roll of tape is small, easy to carry around and it seems to fit with the legal crowd quite nicely.

I generally only perform it once or twice during the evening and then let them talk about me. Its amazing the relief it gives those poor soles who go to the same events year after year, meeting the same people and finally having something different to talk about.

Works for me anyway.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-05-26 14:06, Kondini wrote:
Thinking about this, how would anyone know you were an escapologist unless you were famous anyway ?

Magicians walk around in tophats with bunnies in their pockets,,,clowns have red noses but how would one be noticed as an ea,,,maybe walk about with an SJ on, or have the word Escapist stuck on the back of the jacket or a flashing buttom badge with "Press this button and I will escape from Jail" on it,,,!! Maybe have a set of cuffs hanging from the belt,,,,just like the fetish brigade (Or so I have been told pheeeew!).

Another method would be to go up to people and say "Hey, Im an escapologist,,,ask me to show you something !" Last time I tried this approach to a young lady,,,I got my face slapped.

So really its hard to work out why this should happen.

Ken.

Are you serious?.. I would think if you owned a pizza shop in your area people would ask you from time to time "Hey How is the Pizza business going."

If not a single person you come in contact with once a week knows what you do I think I would look at my marketing if I were you.

Should we not be ready to perform when asked? Wouldn't Harry do it?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 02:42, Roslyn wrote:

I meet new people and they always ask "so, what do you do?"

At which point I'll tell them I'm an escapologist a sometimes they'll ask to see something then. Since the whole point of these dinners is to network I hand them a card and some them something. Usually I'll do a thumb tie (I do Losander's Chain Breaker) since a roll of tape is small, easy to carry around and it seems to fit with the legal crowd quite nicely.

Great simple effect to do when asked! Also simple to do!

Thanks for staying on a very valuable topic.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I seldom work localy to my home and even if I did, I very much doubt if the nieghbours would bother to stop me in the street and ask me to show them something.

If I was a Pizza,,,sure cos I would be catering to everyones requirements. If you can make a full time biz from your local area then good on you,,,me and all the entertainers I know, can`t,,,,guess we are all doing something wrong!!

A rather silly synopsis don`t you think,,,If you were a race driver would you be asked to do something,,,or a Dentist, or Undertaker !!!! A singer walking along,,,hey man,,,sing us a song!!!

Plenty of "Entertainers" parade about with magic card ties, tophat logos etc etd,,,and plenty of people view them as pratts.

Also many pretenders to the throne push themselves and think they are a Blaine etc,,,you know, look at me,,Im a magic man, take a card,,,,arn`t I wonderful !!! Haha,,,,,oh yes and I will perform for free or peanuts,,,sorry, a biz card with your name and contact details is enough for me.

I think my marketing is ok,,,been full time pro for yonks, got a full season again this year and multiple returns for indefinate years,,,,,,how`s about you ?

Ken.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
[quote]On 2009-05-27 12:17, Kondini wrote:

Plenty of "Entertainers" parade about with magic card ties, tophat logos etc etd,,,and plenty of people view them as pratts.

OR

If they're not Pratts, perhaps they are Hiatts
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If they bomb, is that a 'prattfall?'
- Albert Camus
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I have to say that of all the UKEAs, Ken is most definitely THE guy who works the longest season. In fact I don't think he knows how to not be working... Lucky sod.

I have to admit I do enjoy being able to perform something when asked... Although I also have to admit that I'm generally ask during a conversation I've manipulated so they do ask. And that tends to only happen if I'm talking to someone who I think might generate a gig. Hence my post about doing stuff when at certain types of dinner party etc.

Unlike Ken I don't (yet) have a huge portfolio of past clients, news coverage, public performances etc... So the way I get them to see a little of what I can do is to show them there and then. I look at it as an audition rather than as a free performance.

Maybe when I've got a season like Ken's in the bag year after year I'll think differently... Until then I'll try just about anything to succeed Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Even when you DO have that portfolio, you'll still be looking for the next job. It's just the way it is.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » What does an escape artist carry at all times when asked: "Hey do something!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL