The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I am looking to get a job table hopping. I was wondering what are the best books on the subject.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
The Magic Menu, The First Five Years by Jim Sisti

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
The Restaurant Magic Reader by Jim Sisti. (You may see a trend here.) http://www.themagicmenu.com/

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Leave us not forget Scott Guinn's great blog site: http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com
Kots of good info there and best of all it's free!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
David stone close up magic, tommy wonder books, derren brown books, jim pace has a book, ettienne pradier has a bit of advice on his dvd's

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
KURT MOORE LARSON
View Profile
New user
New Britain, Connecticut USA
30 Posts

Profile of KURT MOORE LARSON
I'd have to agree with tabman and mormonyoyoman
and say The Magic Menu, The First Five Years and The Restaurant Magic Reader by Jim Sisti and perhaps Kirk Charles and Charles Green's tomes concerning restaurant work... anyone remember what the name of those are, I used to have them but a divorce swallowed them whole. LOL
Kurt Moore Larson is "The Amusionist".
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Although it's not a book, I highly recommend Zach Waldman's course on restaurant magic. Zach is one of the busiest restaurant magicians in Los Angeles. His list of A-list clients is quite impressive, and his course is pure gold. It was updated within the last few months, so all the information is current. Not only will this course teach you how to get the work and keep it, but will also give you marketing tools to expand into other markets. I also believe anyone that goes through the course will find it highly motivating. You can check it out by clicking here

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Kirk Charles’ Manual of Restaurant Magic.
Restaurant Magic Business CD - Charles Greene

Don’t forget Jim Pace’s rerelease of Restaurant Worker's Handbook - Jim Pace & Jerry MacGregor

If you are looking at non-book items, look at Live at the Jail House, a 3 DVD set from Koz.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 13:57, lou serrano wrote:
Although it's not a book, I highly recommend Zach Waldman's course on restaurant magic. Zach is one of the busiest restaurant magicians in Los Angeles. His list of A-list clients is quite impressive, and his course is pure gold. It was updated within the last few months, so all the information is current. Not only will this course teach you how to get the work and keep it, but will also give you marketing tools to expand into other markets. I also believe anyone that goes through the course will find it highly motivating. You can check it out by clicking here

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano

Lou,

Some friendly advice from one pro to another. I would not bring up Zach's name in this forum. He's considered to be taboo...

Zach made his presence known by joining up here at the MC with the sole purpose of using this forum as a way to sell his "course" to other Magicians. He really ticked off EVERYONE with his "pompus" attitude. Pompus may be the wrong word. Aarogant fits better. Hmmmm....perhaps both.

I've been a big fan of Zach's magic for a while now (and still am), but I must admit that when he showed up on here and began acting as the "sole authority" on Restaurant Magic and selling yourself in this business, I began to question my Zach Waldman Fan Club Membership.

Then after he denounced Jim Sisti and called him a hack...well, I wouldn't walk across the street to take leak on Zach's face if his head were on fire...and I'm sure that many in here feel the same way.

I still think Zach's a great Magician...but I think he sucks as a human. I'm sure he's a Castle Buddy of yours but just know that he left a bad skid mark here in the MC.

I will be attending Jeff Hobson's seminar on the business side of magic next Wednesday Night. THAT should be priceless!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I don't know anything about Zach. He came along after my time obviously since I've never heard of him.

You really can't go wrong with material and information from Jim Sisti. He is a disciple of Bert Allerton who practically invented Table Hopping at The Pump Room in Chicago almost a century ago.

Lots have passed this way since then and many good ones but like I said, you can't go wrong with material from Jim and it pays to know what came first so you won't have to keep inventing fire and the wheel.

The Jeff Hobson seminar ought to be good.

Oh, Steve Spill is worth a look too if his material is still available.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
Thanks to all who've posted I will look at the books you've suggested. Thanks to all your replied.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
David Stone "The Real Secrets Of Magic"also is a very good dvd , Jim Sisti"s book as previously mentioned , and "The Restaurant Workers Handbook" by Jim Pace and Jerry Macgregor. All have good ,if somewhat differing advice for an aspiring table hopper.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:

Then after he denounced Jim Sisti and called him a hack...well, I wouldn't walk across the street to take leak on Zach's face if his head were on fire...and I'm sure that many in here feel the same way.

I still think Zach's a great Magician...but I think he sucks as a human. I'm sure he's a Castle Buddy of yours but just know that he left a bad skid mark here in the MC.

Hi Christopher,

I just read this post, and all I can say is, "Wow!!!"

These are some pretty harsh words, and I find it unbelievable that one human being would say that about another human being in a public forum like this. This is an incredibly low blow, especially since Zach isn't here to defend himself.

Keep in mind that even though I only started making posts recently, I have lurked on these forums since 2002. I have seen what goes on here, and although the Magic Café can be an incredibly beneficial resource for many people, I also know that people act in ways that they wouldn't even think about doing if they were face to face with the person they are talking about. It is a cowardly action when done behind a keyboard, but I guess this may be the nature of the beast.

I will stand behind my previous post and say that Zach's course is probably the best resource on the market today when it comes to booking and maximizing the benefits of performing in restaurants. Aside from that, I have only known Zach to be a genuinely caring, giving, and ethical human being.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I'd just like to say that it is a good course but very,very expensive.
A lot of the information is already out there in books such as 'The Magic Menu' and the Jim Pace book.My favourite is the Kirk Charles book.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Nathan Kranzo has a book on restaurant magic that I have been considering. It seems to me like he is going over the things that not a lot of places go over. I want this one because I think it can extend off of Live at The Jailhouse which was a phenomenal DVD.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't know Zach, I haven't seen him perform, and I haven't seen his course, so I can't comment on any of that. I will say that I did read the topics Christopher refers to, and while I might agree that he didn't come across as friendly or helpful as he might have with a little more effort and a little more careful wording, I don't think he did anything to merit the scathing words in Mr. Lyle's above post. No offense Christopher, but saying you'd let the guy die... well, that seems more than a little over the top for a disagreement on a magic forum.

I will say this: while I have never met Lou and don't him well, we have had some correspondence, and he has never come across as anything but a gentleman and a true pro. I trust him enough to believe that Zach must be a decent guy and his course must be very good, indeed.

As far as recommendations that I have owned and read:
Jim Pace's book is very good, as is Kirk Charles' and the Charles Greene audio. Al the Only put out a great book on restaurant magic, and Dan Fleshman has a good comb-bound book on it. The Magic Menu books by Sisti are also excellent. All of the sources come from working pros who have been doing it forever.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
He may be a nice guy (I might argue about "decent") and I agree that he didn't deserve the harshest words available. I do feel he needlessly insulted Jim Sisti, and only did it to proclaim his book superior to Jim's books.

Yet he's one of God's children, so I'm prepared to give him a break.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
"Real World Magic" by Jerry MacGregor
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Hi Grandpa Chet,

There is a whole back story to the whole Jim Sisti and Zach Waldman debacle that nobody on these forums know about (except for Jim Sisti and Zach Waldman). People tend to pass judgement even when they don't know all of the details. That is the way of world I guess.

Sisti's Magic Menu is a great resource and The First Five Years has a plethora of valuable information. It was a book that I referenced many times when I first started working restaurants. Even today it is a wonderful resource for any restaurant worker. I have also read most of the other books mentioned above and have found valuable information in all of them.

My suggestion to anyone that is interested in restaurant magic is to get all of the materials listed above. You can never have too much information. Each has its strong suits and weaknesses. The key is to figure out what works best for you, and then actually apply the information. After all, to know and not do, is to not yet know.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
630 Posts

Profile of brehan
Mark leveridge
art of hopping tables
real world advise and with the current uk pound price a no brainer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Table Hopping Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL