The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Adding Spectator Involvement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
As I am begining to put routines together to build sets I have noticed that a lot of the routines don't have much spectator interaction, besides the whole pick a card, sign a card, name a card, type things. What are some ways you can make a spectator not feel like saying "Well sure the magician I saw was good but I could have just gone on Youtube and saw another better one"? I don't want them feeling left out I guess is another way I could put it.
Thanks
Ian
Xipe13Totec
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of Xipe13Totec
I find the best thing to do is just chit chat with them.. always take in what the person your performing for is saying that way you can mention it in the trick or make a joke about it... not only did that person now get involved in a trick that potentially has no spectator interaction at all... but there more likely to enjoy the trick because it was now about them, not just the cards
Marcus Nogueira
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
52 Posts

Profile of Marcus Nogueira
What kind of show is it? Parlor, stage, close up, restaurant? Each presents a different sort of challenge for presenting the magic and involving the audience.
Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K Chesterton
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
I am hoping to do some volenteer table hopping at a church by about fall of this year.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Interacting isn't necessarily having them touch your props.
Unlike You Tube you are interacting live, or at least should be.
Make them like you. Make them smile and laugh.
Make your tricks interesting and entertaining for them and the magic should happen in their minds. That's where the real interaction takes place.
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Thanks Jaz and Xipe13Totec for the advice. So what I basically should be trying to do is just try to make some sort of connection by just talking to them a bit before and during my act?
Ian
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Find out their name and always call them by it

involve them as much as possible by giving them simple instructions in layman's terms - don't call a pack of cards a deck; you mix up cards instead of shuffle etc

But make sure they stand exactly where you want them to
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2009-05-20 20:35, Ian Blundell wrote:
Thanks Jaz and Xipe13Totec for the advice. So what I basically should be trying to do is just try to make some sort of connection by just talking to them a bit before and during my act?
Ian

Have you seen Color Monte? Do you remember how you felt the first time
you heard and saw it?
I know that when I first saw CM years ago that I didn't touch the cards but yet felt involved in the routine and somehow connected to the patter.

Sure, you should try and connect with the audience on some level.

You Tube routines are often boring and not really all that friendly. So even if they have seen a magician they feel does better trick they won't have felt the intimacy they will with you.
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Thanks for the advice themagiciansapprentice also. Jaz I just watched the Color Monte as I couldn't remember if I had seen it before but I definatly hadn't. I saw the one done by The magic geek on Youtube and he did a very good job of it. I truly love the patter that goes along with it and the kicker ending. I now see exactly what you meant.I did a performance for my Aunt and cousins awhile ago and I noticed that they were impressed by just the simple things like letting them keep a signed card and talking to them one on one for a short time before and after.

Ian
jjduck
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield, Virginia
78 Posts

Profile of jjduck
Hi Ian,
If you are planning on doing table hopping, there are effects that can be done in the spectator's hands ie: sponge balls, multiplying rabbits, some coin work, cards and even cut & restored ropes. I always try to get my audience as involved in helping as much as possible. That feeling of being part of your show, they can't get from YouTube. It also makes it a lot more fun for you.

Best Wishes
Joe
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Another aspect of close up magic is the people interaction part and this takes personal relations and communication skills. Putting some time in this area will make a BIG difference in your performances.
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Thanks again for the advice. I am trying to add things like getting the spectator to do just simple things like snap their fingers to make the magic happen.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Find routines that ask the spectators questions, such as have you ever seen a closeup miracle? Watch carefully and if you are lucky, and I am lucky too, you might see one tonight. Let them know you are a friendly guy here for a little fun.

I do the sponge balls a lot since it involves at least one spectator and it happens in their hands which makes it special for them and everyone they talk to.

The author will come to mind, but one guy comes up and asks if they have their free ticket? If they say no, then explain, yeah, there is a ticket necessary for a free magic show. If they want to see the show, they need a ticket, do they want one? If yes, then magically produce one hand it to the group and turn and walk away a few steps, turn around and walk back and say, do you have your free magic ticket? Take the ticket and do your show.

There are tons of other ways, look in other areas of The Café for advice.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 19:30, marty.sasaki wrote:
The author will come to mind, but one guy comes up and asks if they have their free ticket? If they say no, then explain, yeah, there is a ticket necessary for a free magic show. If they want to see the show, they need a ticket, do they want one? If yes, then magically produce one hand it to the group and turn and walk away a few steps, turn around and walk back and say, do you have your free magic ticket? Take the ticket and do your show.

That is a cool opener!

Aking them their name will personally involve them. If there's some kind of choice, maybe ask them some details as if that would make a difference. "Are you from the Eaast Coast? Oh, the South? Then you probably picked the 7 of Clubs." If you can, let them hold cards for you. If there indifferent cards used, maybe hand them seven and let them give you the five you need. If possible, let them be involved in the reveal.

Ed
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
That patter might work well for an invisible deck. You could say something along the lines of "just by the look in your face when I saw you I knew you would say the 4 of clubs" than reveal it.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I LOVE this topic. I used to have an exercise that I put magic students through. Mostly they liked it, but it takes some real work, real thought.

Here it is: Take 4-6 routines that you do. Routines that normally do not really use much in the way of audience participation. Now, work out some manner in which you CAN have the audience participate.

I will give a quick example of how this might work: Consider the Ball Vase. In general you open vase to show ball. Pour out ball and cover vase. Place ball in pocket, snap fingers and show ball back in vase! Cover vase, and then uncover to show ball gone....recover from pocket, etc. There's much more that can be done, but you get the idea.

How do you get a spectator involved in the whole process????

1- Have spectator hold a small bag that you drop the ball into

2- Have spec place finger on the top of closed vase to hold it closed.

and on and on and on.....

Best,
Brad Burt
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The idea above is the most basic form of the concept. Obviously, using the idea to produce more fully formed routines in which you increase direct audience participation is the goal! But, it's a great starting point. You will be amazed at what tricks and routines that you would never think could be reworked to include direct contact with the audience can in fact be made some of your best routines in this manner.

ANY routine in which the magic happens in the hands of or by the apparent direct cause of a spectator will almost ALWAYS be more powerful and more memorable. It's one thing to sit back and watch the 'magician' make the magic happen. It's quite another to believe yourself as a spectator to be in control of what is going on and have the magic happen for 'you'. The 'moment' expands in direct relationship to the proximity to the magic itself. There is no closer manner for this to happen than in the actual hands of those who are watching.

Working to turn each and every routine in some way that affords your audience to be in touch with the magic themselves will always garner you a richer reputation.

Best,
Brad Burt
Ian Blundell
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Ian Blundell
Thanks for the advice Brad Burt. Its kind of neat how just simple things like that can make a basic effect so strong. I will definatly be trying that in my routines.

Thanks again
Ian
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Hai Ian,

Interaction in mine show is not about the method (picking a card) but more about let them do as much as possible. For example to hold something, shuffle the cards and make contact. Or borrow something from them, like money for tore and restore. Ask them there name, work, maried etc. Make a conversation. They feel conect and therefore there is audience participation.

Succes!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8839 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me, the key is to 'engage' the audience, which does not necessarily require 'involvement'. This is true of sales, preaching, teaching, etc. as well as magic performance. Work on doing 'effects' and not 'tricks', and routines will follow naturally. 'Tricks' are what am in the box or a page from a book. An 'effect' requires attention to patter, style, setting and mood of the audience. Unfortunately, many card tricks can never become effects -- they are designed to be 'one-shot' demonstrations. So, branch out into other types of magic performace. Keep the deck in your pocket for when a 'trick' is called for, and develope your routine around other things. This does not preclude doing effects like a giant three card monte that can engage a number of people simultaniously. My suggestion (opinon) is that if any 'trick' cannot blend into another logically it should be left out. There is not room in good routine for, "For my next trick ..."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Adding Spectator Involvement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL