The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » A few thoughts on the linking rings... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I do Whit Hayden's linking ring routine, including much of the patter. I've changed it slightly but not enough to call it my own. That's not important here...

One of the lines is "the ancient miracle of the Chinese Linking Rings!". There is also a line "these jokes are 2000 years old". After one performance I was informed, in a friendly way, that the linking rings are not ancient, and in the realm of magic, not really that old either, by local magician, cartoonist, and historian and scribe for S.A.M. Assembly 9, Alan Wassilak. Alan went on to tell me a bit of the actual history, but ended by saying something like, "this doesn't mean you should change your routine, it's okay to lie to your audience."

I recently did the routine and chose a young girl from the audience, maybe 4 or 5 (just a guess, I'm terrible with ages). The contrast was great, and she did a good job through the first link. She concentrated when I said to hold the rings tight, and when I asked her to blow on the rings to separate them, she did it with enthusiasm. I turned to the audience to get them to give her a round of applause and she immediately ran to the security of her mother's lap.

She would have been perfect, but she was a little too young or maybe a little too shy. When I asked for a volunteer she raised her hand. Live and learn.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I agree. For a younger child, 100 people clapping and making a lot of strange noise around them can get very intimidating.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Where does Wassilak get 'his' information? I have evidence of the rings being done in the 1500s and if that isn't 'ancient' what is? I have seen bits in an archeologiacal digs from a Roman Theater and bits dating 2BC that "could be" linking rings. And I firmly believe they man NOT be Chinese in origan.

Use the descriptive wording that fits your act and don't worry about being historically accurate... it is just a playlet.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have been told by informed sources that the linking rings are indeed ancient. References to the linking rings and cups and balls do in fact go back a thousand or two thousand years. Besides, what difference does it make? It makes a great story for a great effect, and entertainment's what it's all about.

Jim
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I agree, and Alan would agree too, that it doesn't matter for the performance, but I trust him as far as the evidence goes. He's pretty well read and doesn't say things without thinking about them. I'll re-ask for details since I don't remember any.
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I guess it depends on what he thins "IS IS" ??? Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Quote from Wikipedia: "Ching Ling Foo was one of the early performers of the Linking Rings in the form we know today. Speculation about their origin has been made to Turkey, Egypt and the Middle East and as far back as the first century."
If this is true, and my calculations are correct, the first centry was about 2,000 years ago.

Jim
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Don't tell me you believe in wikipedia?Remember that anyone can write something, no scholarship required.
Marty Sasaki

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a copy of a painting of a female magician doing the linking rings in a Turkish harem and a print of a "hindoo" performing in a city square, somewhere in the middle east... and an article written by Geromolo Cardano describing a Spanish performer entertaining the royal family in Belgium in the early 1500s. And a copy of the instructions for the rings from Japan around that same time.
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
Harlan Tarbell said "The Linking Rings is one of the oldest tricks and one of the finest if presented in a finished and skilled manner". (TCIM Vol. 4) That's good enough for me.
Timothy James
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
The information that I have come across suggests that the Chinese Linking Rings are a centuries old effect so I second that emotion.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Even older. The Seljec Turkish rulers decreed that those doing "magick" (priests/shaman}and those doing "magic" (Safik) for entertainmeent must follow specific rules and not 'cross over' -- completely different from the Druid traditon of using performing magic as a way of warming up the audience before the priest got at 'em. One of the types of effects proscribed for the 'religious sorts' was "manipulation of rings." This would indicate that using rings for magical entertainment and conjuring was around long before -- like 3,000 years at least. Common sense would say that if rings existed somebody found a way to do a trick with them. Of course, my source is thrice translated and may be inaccurate, but ...

Chinese? Mongolian maybe. Also, the original Shamanic and Tangriest training used large rings as representing the interlocking nature of "three realms" -- three rings representing 'magic' back about 15,000 years. Did they do tricks with them? you bethca!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Alan will be thrilled that his comment drew these reactions. I'm sure he will be facinated by these facts and at one point I'm sure he will investigate things.

Thanks for the reaction.
Marty Sasaki

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I heard the Chinese Linking Rings started somewhere in Africa.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mike: Where did you hear that?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Now that I reviewed the book "Magic City Library Of Magic" Volume #2, it reads "Europe", not "Africa." My bad.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » A few thoughts on the linking rings... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL