The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Fearson's Master Levitation System (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, it's been ages since I have done a review, but today I am inspired, although probably a bit rusty! So please bear with me.

Yesterday I recieved Steve's MLS in the mail. The first thing I want to say is that Steve is no doubt the fastest shipper in the business! I believe it was no more than a couple days after I ordered when I came home to find it stuffed in my mailbox!

I was very pleased with that great service! I would definitely reccomend that you order directly from the man himself at Emagic!

Now let me back up a bit here to explain that in the past I have had a phobia, for lack of a better word, for floating effects. At least the ones that employ i.t.

There are various personal reasons for that. I won't go into them here.

I do want to say, however, that Steve's video has cured that condition completely!

This video is so thorough, so detailed and crystal clear in it's explanations, that all fears fly out the window. I am ready to dig in now and become the "floating guy" in my sphere of influence.

Steve has a wry little comment at the beginning of the DVD about achieving fame as a magician who floats objects, that I really found quite funny! He comes off as very spontaneous, and I enjoyed that.

Steve is an engaging personality, and he is a joy to listen to and watch. I enjoyed this video immensely.

On this vid, Steve takes you from the beginning, (for those who are a complete novice to floating effects, as myself) and explains everything from square one. He shows you the different kinds of i.t. available, their stengths and weaknesses, and he even goes into the history of i.t. including his own first experences with Duschek's (sp?) wunderbar. As I said the video is very engaging.

Then he goes on to show you everything you need to know, including how to strip the thread out, how to apply the wax, the various kinds of wax that are available, and on and on down the line. If you pay attention, you will come away with all the knowledge you need to master the art. He further shows you how to construct for a few pennies, a utility case for transporting the thread between performances, and a home made reel. He really does leave NOTHING out. In my opinion, these little home made devices are pure genius!

He goes into the hookup for his foating cig, and it was so good that I was tempted to take up smoking just to be able to amaze people with this! (Well, not realy tempted, but you get the idea!)

Truly, Steve does a superb job of demystifying his most beautiful effect, and I don't think his explanation can be topped.

He also goes into an explanation of his Area 51 effect, and when I saw the explanation for the final phase, I almost kicked myself for not thinking of that myself. D'oh!

He goes on to explain several variations of the hook up, and generously includes his master hook up, worth the price of the DVD, in my opinion. I only wish he had also included that small gimmick in the package, but you can't have everything.

Steve shows you how to float various assorted objects besides the cig, (candy, gum, dollar bills, etc) and includes tips for guys like me who are follically challenged.

Really, ths vid is replete with everything you need to know to go from novice to pro in the shortest possible time. In other words, Steve's excellent explanations cut down the learning curve dramatically.

And he thoughtfully includes several gimmicks in the package, including the lightweight fork, an ice cube, wax, the floating deck gimmick, and two types of thread.

In my opinion, this makes the DVD a real bargain at any price. I feel I was given way more than my money's worth.

This DVD fills a long needed spot, and there is truly more on it than I can put in a review. Perhaps if you have been into thread work for a while, it may be not for you, but if you are new to thread work, then this is what you are looking for! This information will save you time and money and frustration.

I only wish Steve had put ths out years ago. Thsnks Steve, this is the real work!

I give it an easy five ***** stars
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
Nice review.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
bob.smith
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of bob.smith
I'm not much into floating stuff and wouldn't have given that DVD a 2nd look without your glowing review. Well done!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hey, thanks guys! Indeed Steve has done a superb job!
Crimson-Death
View Profile
New user
Since 2006
88 Posts

Profile of Crimson-Death
I am only halfway through the DVD, but this is very enjoyable teaching from Fearson, I especially love the ideas on portable storage/dispensing for the thread. Glad I ordered this, now off to watch the rest of it.
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I personally love the thing... my review is in the Tricks Section if you're interested.

Steve's performances on the DVD are great, visually amazing (ESPECIALLY the "rings"... WOW what an amazing visual and waay more practical than I thought it would be).
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
sweiss
View Profile
New user
Guam
49 Posts

Profile of sweiss
DVD sounds good. I have an old VHS of his "Thread Head". If he has improved on that, I will probably buy the DVD. Also, does he supply any other props such as a sample of his favorite i.t. or do you get only the DVD?
Stephen Weiss, owner
New Planet Online Magic Shop
http://www.newplanetmagic.com
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Nice review Daff.....
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks! But if it weren't for Steve, I could never have written it!
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
Based on this thread (no pun intended), I purchased Steve's Master Levitation System. I haven't done much with IT before even though I have "Spun" by Morgan Strebler and "Who's Afraid of Thread?" by LeClair. I just never could find the right method in order to feel comfortable. This product it a goldmine of information. Also, if you get this or just work with IT Steve's wax is really flesh color! The wax I got titled "Michael Armmar's flesh color Putty" from Penguin is green.

The DVD alone was worth the price of the system. I got it from Magic Warehouse and it was at my house in 3 days! WOW!!

Thanks to Steve Fearson for producing it. I feel like I got more than my $$$ worth. and Also to Magic Warehouse for the speedy delivery.

Now to go have some fun!
Nick Sand
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Nick Sand
This is a no brainer purchase if you like thread work. Some really great stuff here.
I love the poor mans thread reel. So ease to make and maintain.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Steve Fearson is a genius, and the master of IT. If you think all wooly nylon is the same, drop Steve an email. He'll hook you up!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
I really like the look of this and have read some great reviews. One of the big things for me is practicality and fitting it into my existing set, as I prefer to grow rather than simply add. Can the effect be performed at any point, e.g. half way through a set without a complicated set up pre-trick? I know from the use of other IT effects I have that it's not always practical to do so and I couldn't guarantee the IT would still be intact or in place by the time I need to perform.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Great review, but a lot of unanswered questions...

Regards,
Mike
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
Would you say this is better than the Tarantula gimmick? So far that one has been my favorite one, but I haven't incorperated it into a routine yet and I've had it for over a year. I just don't find the Tarantula easy enough to just throw into my routine. Maybe I'm lacking confidence or something, but I'm very interested in floating magic.

So is this better than the Tarantula gimmick?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
You can't compare the two because one is a gimmick while the other one is a method. Steve's method requires no need of a reel. Sometimes a person needs a reel for certain effects though. All I can give is my opinion. My opinion is if you are just starting out with IT I recommend Steve's Master Levitation System. If you are looking for a good reliable reel, there are a few really good ones you can buy, but first figure out what you want to do. Once you know what you want to do, you'll have a better understanding of what would be best for you to accomplish it.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I've also got the MLS and it's great. There is only one thing which I do not like and that's the fork...I will not use this. In my country I've seen better ones.
The Fearson wax, Vectra line, Dvd and cube however are superb!
crochow
View Profile
Regular user
Youngstown, Ohio
129 Posts

Profile of crochow
I too had purchased the DVD w/ props, and love it ! It is one of the best DVD's I've ever purchased in my 50+ yr. of performing ! I've used IT for many years now, and this DVD is great!
Magically,

Chris Rochow
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 00:48, Mad Mage wrote:
The wax I got titled "Michael Armmar's flesh color Putty" from Penguin is green.

You must have accidentally ticked the 'I'm a frog' box when you ordered.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mine is on the way. I've sued the Fearson Hookup for years, but the ad says "Revealed for the first time is the enhanced Fearson Hookup. This exciting new advance in the technology that allows you to walk away from the object you are levitating and still maintain complete control over it".

Can't wait to see what it is.

Clarke
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Fearson's Master Levitation System (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL