The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Water Flows Uphill in 'Wrong Garden' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
There is a fountain at this year's Chelsea Flower Show in Britain that apparently has the water running uphill. There is a BBC article about it here. The article does contain a partial explanation/exposure of how the effect is achieved, and apparently it is being patented.

It is part of a 'Wrong Garden' display, which also contains a row of cypress trees creating false perspective and other oddities such as no green plants. There is a link to more info about the garden at the upper right of the page with the story.

Wasn't something like this already done at one of the Vegas hotels?

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Night_Crawler
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Night_Crawler
That looks really cool. I think it would be awesome to see it in person, not just see the pictures.

Night_Crawler
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Looks cool. I've seen a river in Taiwan where the water really flows up the hill. It was awesome and mystifying.
Bernard Sim
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
There is a hill in New Brunswick, Canada called "Magnetic Hill" where your bike or car will roll "up" the hill if you let it coast. Even the brook beside the road seems to be flowing up! It's a pretty amazing illusion, and naturally occurring too.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
nelly
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of nelly
Hes going to make some cash out of this and quite right to. What a brilliant solution to the problem he was set.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2670 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Check out this version of Escher's drawing:

Click Here!

It's done in Lego!

Try to guess how they did it before you scroll down the page.
Skinny Man
View Profile
New user
UK
72 Posts

Profile of Skinny Man
I saw the garden at Chelsea, and it really did make the eyes (and brain!) hurt! Good work, top fella! Smile
Mrfred
View Profile
New user
Cypress, TX
5 Posts

Profile of Mrfred
One of our favorites is the "Upside-Down Waterfall" at Walt Disney World in Orlando.
http://www.bchevrier.com/gallery/wdw/epc......775.html

We love this and the Dancing Fountains.

Our favorite local fountain is the WaterWall located at Williams Tower (formerly Transco Tower). It is in a horseshoe design and when you step in it gives you the illusion of rising instead of the water falling. It can be seen at the bottom of this page:
http://www.ci.houston.tx.us/citygovt/con......on1.html
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
580 Posts

Profile of wayman
Did you check out the 360 degree viewer for the garden at here?

eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
There is an electric hill in the West of Scotland also where, due to the surrounding landscape creating the illusion, you can take the handbrake off your car and coast uphill without the engine running !!
Rapier
View Profile
New user
USA
7 Posts

Profile of Rapier
Wow! That LEGO version was nice. Smile
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing;
he does not shy away from the sword."
--Job 39:22
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
595 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Who around here grew up in the NYC area and is old enough to remember Freedomland? It lasted for all of 2 years, was an amusement park whose borders were shaped like the US. The '63-64 NY World's Fair put it out of business, but it was a great place.

Well, Freedomland had a "House of Optical Illusions"—there was water flowing up stream, and a demonstrator who showed how to sink a billiard ball in a tilted pool table, in the corner pocket that appeared to be highest!

Anyone remember that fine attraction?
kerpa
a/k/a Mike Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Quote:
On 2003-05-27 05:38, nelly wrote:
Hes going to make some cash out of this and quite right to.

The guy who designed the is Mr Dyson of Dyson vacuum cleaners. He is already worth several hundred million pounds.
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
A "REAL" 'Upside Down' River ? Here in the US of A is a river that TWICE 'changes the direction of its flow' ! In Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park, the river that runs most of the Park's length, from North to South, twice crosses over 'the Continental Divide'... following the course of this waterway, BECAUSE of this physical FACT, the water is SEEN to be flowing 'downhill', if you enter from the Southern Entrance (just North of the Grand Tetons National Park), when all of a sudden you SEE the river is NOW flowing "Uphill", or Northward... as you continue traveling North, once more the water is SEEN to be traveling 'downhill', or Southward... THIS IS NOT 'truly' AN ILLUSION, but sure is confusing as all heck !!! (you actually are sort of 'doubling back' along the river's course, not just going from South to North... but you ARE traveling along the River's pathway ... )

(Note, you can follow its path from North to South, also, of course, but it seems 'stronger' to me to do it as I described, because you enter the Park, and start to view the river basically concurrently, whereas you have to already be traveling within the Park, to arrive at the point where you can journey Southwards along the river...)

Anyone else here ever see this true 'Wonder of the Natural World' ??? Smile
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
I've seen a waterfall or should I say a water rise the use of strobe lighting was used it looked trully magical Smile
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
The Reverend
View Profile
New user
Scotland
66 Posts

Profile of The Reverend
The electric hill in the West of Scotland is called "The Electric Brae".
I'm ashamed to say that I live about twenty miles from it but have never visited there!

The dancing fountains in Walt Disney World Orlando were brilliant. (I think they are in Epcot center?)
I have my two chidren on video from a visit there in 1994 and it really captures their amazement.

cheers, Stephen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Water Flows Uphill in 'Wrong Garden' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL