The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting "Loopy" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Well, the title says it all....or at least most of it. I think I really am becoming a little loopy trying to decipher all this information about dove magic. My family agrees with that statement. I have read every post I can find on the subject here at the Magic Café. I also have several dove books and videos.

One thing I am having trouble with is the loops. I have some of Andy's wire but I want to try both catgut and wire before I decide. What size test line do you guys use? On Tony's video some of his catgut loops look like they are made from clear line that is huge. I have heard someone say use 6# test line and another say 10#.
+Tony's appeared to be larger than 10#. Maybe he just used it so it would show up in the video??? Is there a preferred size, or atr least a range, and is there a specific brand/type that is best?

I have used a monofiliment line called "Spider Wire" for other effects in the past, but it has a greenish-like tint to it. Also, I had this black-like fishing line once that had a waxy-like feel to it. It would hold a shape fairly well, and although I never used it for dove loops it seems it might be a good choice for that. I cannot remember to save me what it is called. Maybe it is the 'braided' type that I heard Dave mention somewhere. I remember that it came in several different sizes and it did not shine.

I know there are a ton of monofiliment choices now, many of which claim to be invisible, etc. I also figure that the smaller the better, as far as invisiblity goes, but how small is too small? After seeing Tony's ginormous loops I was a little surprised. I'm sure the large line would hold a better shape and make hooking up easier, but when is audience visibility a problem. I realize that Tony is working on a large stage and most of the time is farther away from the audience than I will be, but he has to deal with video cameras too, so I am a little confused.

It has been a while since I have checked out the fishing isles. I guess I need to go and look at what all is available now. I need to pick up some line and see if I can find those grommets that Dave mentioned, so if you guys have some suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks for all your help!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, the fishing department is the place to go. You don't need fancy line like Spider wire. Regular Stren or Trilene monofilament line is exactly what you need. Anything over 4# test is too much. Remember, you are not pulling in a fighting fish. The loop is simply a way to slide the dove out of the pocket. The monofilament will hold it's shape when heated.

I know I plug General Grant a lot but he sells something called a dove looper. It's an "L" shaped piece of metal with a spool at the end. You lay the harness on the long leg of the "L" and slip the loop over the spool on the short leg. Rubber band the harnes to the unit and place the whole thing in the sun. When you remove your harness, the loop will have a curve to it which is what you grasp for the producton. You don't have to have this bend though. It all depends on the effect you are doing.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thnaks Dave! That clears up a lot for me! I was going to mentioned General Grant's gizmo. I heard someone else call it a "loop shaper", but that's all I knew about it. I will get one if he still has them.

One other thing: Somewhere you had mentioned that you use fishing grommets (I believe that was the term) to attach the line to the dove holder. I was at Walmart last night, and guess where I went? I could not find anything called a fishing grommet. I also goggled it and I still don't know what it is. Where can I get these?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, you have two things confused. The grommets are available in any fabric, sewing or craft shop. That is exactly what they are, grommets. You'll need a grommet tool to attach them to the holder. The first time you buy them, you can get a kit that comes with the tool and a few grommets. You make a small incision where you want the line to be attached and press a grommet on at that spot. You can then clean up the material inside the grommet. It's like the paper reinforcements you put on note book paper to keep the hole from ripping. You tye the line through the grommet.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oh my goodness......I am a little red-faced right now! I know what grommets are. I have used them a lot. I even have a kit somewhere, but it's been a long time since I have used it. I could have sworn I read a p[ost that mentioned "fishing grommets". I didn't know what in the world those were. I figured maybe they were really sized small to fit fishing line or something. Speaking of which, mine are large ones. I will look around and see if I can find something smaller.

Thanks again Dave. You always come through!

Regan
Mister Mystery
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hey regan,
Jast a side note: Don't fret too much about what type of line to use. Like dave said, go to a hobby shop and there are many items there you will find a use for. The key thing to remember is this: Do what works for you! The audience should not be aware of anything re: loops, wires, etc. Experiment. If a log chain works for you, use it! (just kidding) but you get my point? Who knows...you may discover the next big thing to change dove magic! Whatever you use.....just make sure you are comfortable with it and it works...100% of the time!

Tony
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
Regan,
I just have to put my two cents in. I am a huge fan of Andy's wire his dove teachings, his harnesses his holders. He is an expert in what he sells and teaches. His wire is all I use. Between his wire and harness I have been told that my dove slpit is great! I owe it all to Andy. I will say wire all the way!!!!
Thanks,
Anthony
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
A good friend of mine told me to try jewlery wire, I told him that I've seen it before and it shiny! He told me to color it black with a black marker, so I did it's perfect, it keeps it's shape and can't be seen even at close range.
All you have to do is make a loop the size you want, get the jewlery crimps, crimping tool and make the loop. Then find the size of line ( if any ) and you then crimp it to the harness of holder, then your done.

Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Tony, Anthony, and Jeff, thank you all so much. I do have some of Andy's wire. I wanted to experiment with both wire and monofiliment before I decide on one or the other. I'm sure I will be getting some of Andy's holders too. I have not seen one, but I spoke with him and his description sounds like it is what I want.

I'm still a long ways a way from actually performing on stage with a real, live dove but I am trying to prepare. There's so much information to absorb. I have 5 videos so far, and another one is one the way. I have a couple of books too, but still there is a ton of stuff that is not covered in detail. You all have helped me so much! I don't know what I would do without the Magic Café!

Thanks again!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Getting "Loopy" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL