We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Presenting Magic vs. Presenting a Puzzle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Since you are the one from whom I first heard them, I know you are keenly aware of the necessary elements required to elevate the presenting of puzzles (which may tend to frustrate or irritate an audience) to the realm of presenting magic (which, hopefully, will awe and entertain).

My question: in practise, how frequently do you think it is possible to achieve this elevation? For, according to my observation, it seems to be something that magicians are more likely to (hopefully) aspire to, rather than actually achieve. Paricularly with closeup or impromptu magic.
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings Lane, and all...

Bob Neale has reminded me that not all magic needs to be elevated beyond puzzles to be entertaining. In fact, even the most trivial puzzle magic has a necessary place in the world. Simple "tricks" can help people relieve stress, take their mind off their worries, and make them laugh. Simple puzzles are games for the mind, and are life-enriching, even in their simplicity.

Your question about whether or not it is possible to frequently achieve an elevation of the art depends on the artist and their training. In order to elevate a piece of magic from puzzle to performance art, a numbers of factors are necessary.

1) You must have mastered your technique. There's simply no way to achieve the elevation you're discussing when flashing or exposing the simple methods.

2) You must have a compelling and meaningful story to tell. As Max Maven reminds our students here at the School: There are three essential questions a magician must answer during the course of performance.
a) Who is this person? = Are you an interesting person?
b) What are they doing? = What story are they telling?
c) Why should I care? = Why is it worth my time to watch you do what you're doing?
If you are interesting, and have a good story, and make the audience care about what you're doing, these qualities will over-ride the often frustrating and irritating puzzlement that an audience feels when witnessing the impossible.

3) You must be inspired! You can have a good story, you can be an interesting person, but if you do not have passion for what you're doing, and the training and skills to flawlessly pull it off, you will fail to reach your goal.

Yours in the elevation of our art,

Jeff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Brilliant.

Fantastic having you here Mr. McBride!
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Presenting Magic vs. Presenting a Puzzle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL