The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » The Sword Basket » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Hello Mr. McBride,

Thank you so much for the time you've agreed to spend with us.

If you could, I would like you to address something that is an occasional cause for debate here on the Café, "The Sword Basket Illusion".

There are those who believe that it is overdone and no longer has a place in the world of magic. These are also the same ones who believe it is not an entertaining of mystifying illusion to begin with and should be left out of any serious act.

However, you are one of those who make it a regular part of his act and have made a good living with this illusion being in your aresenal. So because of your great experience with this illusion (and performance in general) I was wondering if you'd care to share your thoughts on it with the Café?

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Kyle Prisock
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings Kyle, and all...

Many illusions have been "overworked," in the eyes of magicians. However, every day, new souls are born into the world who have yet to see any magic. There are new generations of magic fans being born continually into this world.

There are many versions of the linking rings, but a master can still entertain magicians and audiences alike with a strong presentation.

Let's talk about "pick a card" tricks. Just because one person might feel that card tricks are hack is no reason to stop practicing this form of magic if you are passionate about it.

There will always be debates about what is "good" and what is "bad." I have found the Basket to be a powerful, audience-pleasing portable grand illusion. The Pendragons, Siegfried and Roy, and other big name pro's have included it in their shows. Of course, a pro will add a personal touch, twist or a surprise ending to the standard presentation, and I think that's where the core of this question lives and dies.

THE STORY
Yes, it's all about the story. Standard presentations of standard illusions will, most likely, not be as potent theatrical entertainments as presentations of classic illusions when they are set to a dynamic plot line. When I talk to Jonathan Pendragon about the Basket effect, for him, it is an illusion that displays "invulnerability." He gives the example of taking a freshly cut, delicate, long-stemmed rose, and placing it into a paper bag; the bag is stabbed with a knife, crushed flat, the inner contents set on fire, the magician opens the bag, steps one foot into the bag and stomps around.... and then pulls the perfect rose from its mysterious concealment. When you look at the Basket in a mythological perspective, it is a drama about death and resurrection, and that is usually the way I have played it.

Other performers, like Ed Alonzo, utilize the very fact that the Basket is a standard routine and plays with the audience's expectations of the effect when he inserts a blow-up, inflatable sex doll into the Basket as his "assistant." Gee... Ed Alonzo seems to be having some success these days. Can't argue with that....

The Basket will continue to be re-invented by innovative performers. Magi who are bored with this illusion can sit in their armchairs, and have the choice to either watch how the effect is re-invented, or change the channel on their remote. Follow your passion, Kyle, and do the illusions that call you.

Yours in mythic magic,

Jeff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Thank you very much for your thoughts on the subject and for your time here.

Sincerely,
Kyle Prisock
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
The Pendragons have a new L&L 3 DVD set that covers the basket. I think Johns' ideas about this effect are very worthwhile lessons.

You will enjoy these videos!

JEff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » The Sword Basket » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL