The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Music and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJMagik MyK
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of DJMagik MyK
Jeff,
Michael here...your student and musical follower. I was wondering if you could take a quick moment to talk about what depth one can reach when adding music to their magic, or adding magic to their music? You utilize many different styles of music in your act and its creates such an intense overlay for what is about to take place.

For example, in your "King of Cards" routine, there is one section in particular where the music is making a "stab" (i.e. - Duh! Duh! Da-Da-Duuuuh Duh! Duh! wow that was silly...), at which time you produce a card...to each respectful stab. That is just so powerful to me, and I am sure many others would agree as well.

Ever since taking your Master Class in 2006, I can confidently say that I have been able to add great dynamics to my magic, notably by just adding a little music, *which I have made myself* Smile

Thanks Jeff!
Your Friend in Magic and Music,
Michael
/\/\agik /\/\yK
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings Michael and all...

I know exactly the part of the King of Cards routine you're talking about. LOL.

My technique for setting a soundtrack to my show has evolved over the years. When we first started to edit music back in the 1970s, it was old reel to reel tape, and splicing with razor blades for every single edit. It took days to edit a piece of music and customize it to fit an act. I had the good fortune of watching the Richiardi stage show in NYC many times. Richiardi was a master of editing music. He would often create the music for his opening acts, most notably Ger Copper, who had about twenty completely different pieces of music spliced together to create a dynamic and varied soundtrack.

Over the years, I have sat in many recording studios with many different audio artists and musicians, generating original music. The soundtrack for my show was composed, for the most part, by Jordan Rudes, the keyboard player for the rock group, DreamTheater.

In my show, I use two different ways of working with music.

1)Closed-ended This means that the track is 3:25 long, with textures, hits, grooves and a tight ending. Each moment of the routine is choreographed exactly to the music.

2) Open-Ended This music doesn't have an ending, but is more about the groove, the beats, the ambience created by the sound. This lets me explore the magic and stretch out and take a walk in the sonic landscape. Often, this music will last several minutes longer than the actual piece will, so I never have to worry about running out of music.

More and more these days, I'm incorporating the music that my wife, Abbi, creates. She is a truly talented singer, percussionist and drummer. You can check out her newest creations here:

http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=Abbi+McBride&submit=

Enjoy!

Your friend in music and magic,

Jeff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
JPWfilm
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of JPWfilm
Hey there Michael!

This is a great topic. As someone who edits much of Jeff's newer music I think I may be able to add a couple more tips. Anytime that music is accompanying action (whether it be live performance or on video) the music should mesh with the visuals, that is the visual and music should complement each other to a point where the music only enhances without detracting. Many people (not just magicians) tend to place their favorite song or popular piece of music as an accompanying track to their performance or video. In these cases, while the song may be good by itself it likely does not accent what we are seeing. I try to listen to as many different kinds of music as possible to find what song complements the story in my act the best.

Film scores are a great place to start as they were specifically written to accompany action. Another good source is classical music, if nothing else just to hear the different emotions that can be conveyed through these pieces of music. Most classical music has a certain power and impact that you don't always find in trendy music or royalty-free music.

I hope this gives another option to finding strong music for your magic.

Jordan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Music and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL