The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is a heckler? How can I deal with them? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Thanks for the help folks! Your encouragement is much needed AND things are getting better all the time. I am able to handle the challenging spectators better and better . . . thanks to all of your help and from something I read in John Carney's literature:

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

Thanks to all for the guidance, instruction and encouragement . . . I must go through it to get to it . . .
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
base851
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
58 Posts

Profile of base851
This isn't so much a heckler story, but this seems as appropriate thread as any to tell it. Just to give you an idea of how green I am, I made my first honest try at doing a trick for someone at work just the other day. I keep a deck at my desk, and while I'm reading email or just thinking of a problem, I'll work on false shuffles, jogs, breaks, card control. Another co-worker sees me doing it and says "Here let me show you something." A few really good tricks by him later and a bunch of us are gathered round.

I decided that this seemed like as good a time as any to try something. So I said "Can I try one on you? I'm not as good as him but I'd like to try something." So, my plan was to do a real simple card select, fake shuffle, control to top deal. Well, the co-worker picks the card and when I ask her to put it on the deck she said "Can I put it in the middle?"

Uhhhhhh.....

I coaxed her into putting it on top, and successfully controlled it, but of course everyone knew what was up. At the end they said "You did some sort of fake shuffle didn't you?" I fessed up and they said it was actually really good, it looked like the deck was mixed up.

I decided rather than be upset, I'd learn something from it. They said the mechanisc were good... so I obviously need to work on presentation. Funny thing is I was nervous because I was insecure about my mechanics. Second thing was to start getting into the mindset of on any trick, try to think of every conceivable thing that can go WRONG and practice dealing with it. In my case I should have said "Go ahead, put it where you want." And adjusted accordingly. Lesson learned. Smile

I think it helped to get some of the initial screw-ups out of the way on people who aren't family or close friends, but aren't complete strangers. Co-workers can be tough, but at least (usually) they won't be mean about it.

A screwup is also an opportunity if you let it be. Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Card tricks are very well known -- enough that when you pull out a deck everyone thinks "trick". Try learning some magic effects other than cards. Then at least you might have the lement of surprise in your favor.

Of course, if you are practicing magic on company time you should be shuffling in the unemployment line. and, "a bunch of us are gathered around." In one of my businesses I guess I would have to replace the entire crew. Vanishing employees and replacing them with people who want to work. A stroke of a pen. Magic!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
base851
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
58 Posts

Profile of base851
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 07:46, funsway wrote:
Of course, if you are practicing magic on company time you should be shuffling in the unemployment line. and, "a bunch of us are gathered around." In one of my businesses I guess I would have to replace the entire crew. Vanishing employees and replacing them with people who want to work. A stroke of a pen. Magic!

You're joking, right?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Not at all! Doing any kind of personal activity on company time is theft including personal emails, phone calls and pestering other workers. In my seven business I always paid much higher than industry standard and had very loyal employees -- and we all had time for fun because my people produced more in six hours than the competition did in ten with overtime. We worked when it was time to work and played during planned periods -- and we had profit sharing. As a consultant to thousands of business I saved the owners millions by training them to only hire people who wished to work -- which included being on time, ready to work at the agreed time. It's all about commitment and accountability -- just like doing magic. Failure to meet a signed commitment is always grounds for dismissal, just as I would never engage a magician who wasn't on time for a performance.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
base851
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
58 Posts

Profile of base851
Quote:
On 2009-10-02 15:27, funsway wrote:
Not at all! Doing any kind of personal activity on company time is theft including personal emails, phone calls and pestering other workers.

Well... given that one of the people "not working" was my department head, and the person I was performing the (poorly executed) trick on was my project manager, I'm not terribly concerned. Thank you for helping me love my job even more than I already had.
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Quote:
On 2009-09-25 15:28, DeYi wrote:
Thanks a lot to Jaxon and MagikDavid for their wonderful tips and insights.
I seem to get a lot of problems like guitarmagic too, especially with card magic i.e. one guy keeps flipping the face down card to look at it before I am done.
Whats the best way to handle someone like that?

I agree with some of the other posts in that the "nice guy" isn't always the best way to go. You have to judge the situation. When I get someone that refuses to follow instructions or is intentionally trying to sabotage the trick, say during a card trick, I take a more aggressive but still subtle/comical tone and say something like, "Oh no, why do I always pick the slow ones? OK, sir, I'm going to give you a second chance. I'll go slowly for you this time...try not to embarrass yourself...
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
When I get someone that refuses to follow instructions or is intentionally trying to sabotage the trick, say during a card trick, I take a more aggressive but still subtle/comical tone and say something like, "Oh no, why do I always pick the slow ones? OK, sir, I'm going to give you a second chance. I'll go slowly for you this time...try not to embarrass yourself...

Excellent mkmager . . . for those of us who are not a natural verbal-dig God or smarty pants, we must have these contingencies in ready to possibly get them to comply with simple directions.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
Yes, guitarmagic, I like to take note of other performers when I see them dealing with people in an effective way. I like to have some lines on hand so that I do not need to think on my feet too much in that kind of a situation.
jusakarman
View Profile
New user
Jakrta, indonesia
70 Posts

Profile of jusakarman
Wow....very good posting....it's important to me to know how to deealing with heckler....thnks ron jaxon
"for those magicians who place magic above comfort and reward" from book of wonder by Tommy Wonder (November 29, 1953 - June 26, 2006) ........
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
You guys are good to me. Thanks for the continued guidance & help for the slower students!

Respectfully . . .
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
I enjoy having hecklers in a show, they challenge me and my goal is to win over them without humilitanig them, so that they too enjoy my show. It's all about being a cool guy and letting them know you perform for them. And at the same time let them know you're not stupid ha!
BobC
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
Great advice Jaxon, Much better than in Bobo's, where you are directed to squirt them in the face with water from your squirting nickle!
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Sometimes, you need to turn the table. If you call people out they will quiet down quickly. Make a joke out of what is being said or done If you ever do walk around close-up learn to walk away. There are a lots of people who would love to see your magic.
Just another learning experience, life is full of them.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Here's a related article about other Entertainers in your audience that may heckle or steal your material:

http://magicgizmo.com/home/Showmanship/w......nce.html
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I don't have any heckler in my school. Because they KNOW that the tricks have something to do with some gimmicks or sleights. But, pro magicians here in Indonesia could not enjoy such privilege. When they perform (anywhere, could be at stage, national TV, street), people (not all, but not a few either) will think they all use black magic.

Of course it is a selling value for the magicians here to dress up all in black, wearing black accessories, etc. They look unique, and this is what make them good (beside the tricks), but this backfires them. People say they have secret and dark ritual, dealing with satans, etc.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Naason
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Naason
I try to show my magic to my cousin, hes always investigating...

Very tough, but when I can do the magic correct, he is very impressed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is a heckler? How can I deal with them? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL