The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » D'Lites (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
Has anyone ever done a 3 and a half minute D'Lite routine? I'm considering putting it to music and presenting it as a slightly somber routine. But I'm out of ideas after:

grabbing white lights from thin air
Plucking them from elbows
placing them back in elbows
Placing white light in pocket and then...

Reaching in pocket and grabbing red tissue paper and creating red light from it
Tossing red light up and catching a blue light
Placing blue light in fist and oppening back to white light

All that will still only be a total of two minutes at best. What other ways can the D'Lite be presented?
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
At a dinner party, in Sweden - I was running a series of work related seminars - so didn't know anyone, a few years ago I reached out an "ate" the candle flame (not in full view - just out the corner of people's eyes) using a red D'Lite - munching away casually - not trying to draw any real attention to this.

Did that for around 5-10 minutes - again just casually - not trying to draw any attention to it - but a few noticed, began dropping jaws and not sure of what they were seeing. Then a few more, until nearly everyone was watching me just casually reaching out and munching on the "flames"

Until someone said "WTF !!!"

"Sorry - I used to be a fireeater - trying to kick the habit"

Exxcused myself, left the table, without any further comment.

I heard later that people were talking about that for a few weeks - convinced they'd actually seen me eating the candle flames.

At a dinner party - without drawing real focus to yourself - this is a great laugh.
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 00:03, Decibel33 wrote:
Has anyone ever done a 3 and a half minute D'Lite routine?

Just about everyone.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Decibel, Jeff McBride does a routine not unlike what you suggest.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
The main thing about D'Lites is to not rush it. A lot of performers will pluck, put away, pluck, put away, quicking then you can possibly read this sentence. I always make a big deal of it when I produce the light for the first time. I hold the light for a few seconds, then whisk it away using the same hanky it came out of. I then put the hanky around my neck, pass it through my hands and so forth. This passes a little bit of time, but establishes that the light isn't being hid in the hanky or in your hand. Roll up your sleeves, show both hands empty. 10 seconds right there.

D'Lites rock.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
It seems to me that three and a half minutes is a little too long for a purely D'lite routine. Maybe you would be better off introducing them then incorporating them into a transition to another effect, then go back to them for the finish.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
There are a few things you buy that would help I ve seen a bag that you throw the light from your thumb into the bag you do this several times then pull out a string of lights. I also like the string of lights from mouth.

I have stolen a ligth from a kids flashy shoes and tossed it about swallowed it and make it vanish. Then I say if they look at the conner of there TV when they get home the ligth will be ther.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
In Boston 2005 at the S.A.M big annual convention someone(anyone remember)did a funny routine which included several props and ended with his suit, shirt, pants being involved in the routine for a walk off great finale and sight gag.

I have used them at after prom parties held at arcades, but never such a long routine. Slowing down can be a good thing.

Harris "switch to decaff" deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Stephan Soule had a great routine where he produced the lights and dropped them in a clear tube... you could see the lights falling and stacking up in the tube. Then he wnet into a dancing cane routine with the light tube. Looked great!

Maybe use the d'lites as a start to a routine but move it to something else using the lights but not specifically d'lites.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Yay, I got, amongst other things, my red D'lites today Smile

Quote:
On 2009-07-21 15:56, Maloney wrote:
The main thing about D'Lites is to not rush it. A lot of performers will pluck, put away, pluck, put away, quicking then you can possibly read this sentence. I always make a big deal of it when I produce the light for the first time. I hold the light for a few seconds, then whisk it away using the same hanky it came out of. I then put the hanky around my neck, pass it through my hands and so forth. This passes a little bit of time, but establishes that the light isn't being hid in the hanky or in your hand. Roll up your sleeves, show both hands empty. 10 seconds right there.

D'Lites rock.

Thanks for these performance tips. In my, er, five minutes of experience with them, I picked up a bottle of fake ice and activated a D'lite behind it. The fake ice diffused the light, glowing red throughout, and that looked nice. I'm brainstorming ideas now that don't involve 'plucking'.

update: more diffusive fun - a (white) balloon ftw! I played with the angle so the epicentre of the light emission is not so obvious.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I pluck red light from a xmas tree, sometimes disabling the light on the tree depending on the type of tree lights, and throw it on to the wall with a laser pointer make it come alive on its own by dancing around on the wall for for few seconds and catching the light and replace it back on the tree. People will think your into evil sheet, lol.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Quote:
On 2010-01-30 02:18, arizona wrote:
People will think your into evil sheet, lol.

Yeah... all hail the mighty Satin...?
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
D lites are really frowned upon by a lot of magicians for some reason, I am not sure why. If they(like anyother magic) are performed correctly they can be very powerfull.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 19:41, Matt Watts wrote:
D lites are really frowned upon by a lot of magicians for some reason, I am not sure why. If they(like any other magic) are performed correctly they can be very powerful.

You are right. Don't do the same routines that every teen does, but look for new uses and opportunities for the lights to make an appearance. I combine them with three of my "Hank, the Ghost Hank" routines from the Wizards' Journal #16, but I have also used them to make a regular lightbulb light up (dim, but on a darkened stage it looks bright), and to simulate sparks that I "caught" from a campfire in my hands. You don't have to use them just to play "light ping pong."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magic mccurry
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magic mccurry
I like the miser's dream bag for delite. Nice piece to add to the routine.
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
353 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Quote:
D lites are really frowned upon by a lot of magicians for some reason, I am not sure why. If they(like anyother magic) are performed correctly they can be very powerfull.

Well anyone who is non-creative will frown on just about anything. The test is simple, they are still here, and will be for a long time. I am sure there will be many new uses and routines. You should have been there when Rocco first brought them to a Tannen's Jubilee. No one was frowning then, Rocco was swamped, and sold out basically the first day. Such a frown. Smile
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Ive incorporated a cups and balls routine for my d'lites...great reactions and EASY to do!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Quote:
On 2009-08-25 14:18, Yellowcustard wrote:
There are a few things you buy that would help I ve seen a bag that you throw the light from your thumb into the bag you do this several times then pull out a string of lights. I also like the string of lights from mouth.

I have stolen a ligth from a kids flashy shoes and tossed it about swallowed it and make it vanish. Then I say if they look at the conner of there TV when they get home the ligth will be ther.

Ya the bag is called a bag o' light just google it. Although I have seen a video demo of it and I personally don't like the way the light falls being in a zig zag pattern of a fall with gaps between spots. A real object would just fall straight and not disapear hear and their on the descent. So it is more or less obvious that it is a trick bag. I like the string o' lights though but personally its not for me.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-13 14:24, Kex wrote:
Stephan Soule had a great routine where he produced the lights and dropped them in a clear tube... you could see the lights falling and stacking up in the tube. Then he wnet into a dancing cane routine with the light tube. Looked great!

Maybe use the d'lites as a start to a routine but move it to something else using the lights but not specifically d'lites.

Jeff McBride does a great routine with them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f90oAY8FTSI and I found a site that sells at least some of what he used. http://www.52magic.com/index.php?gOo=goo......ype=&p=3
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:

Perhaps it is because not a lot can be done with them at least not easily but manly probably because of this. http://magicfakers.blogspot.com/2007/10/dlite.html Which I wish I could find a youtube video of the man doing it at F.I.S.M. I am curious how you can do a F.I.S.M. act with them.
Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » D'Lites (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL