The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Children Magic... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ruaturtle
View Profile
Regular user
Gastonia, NC
113 Posts

Profile of ruaturtle
Hi Jeff... I have always admired your work. I am a clown along with being a magician and have worked with children more than adults. Since I have been thinking more and more about expanding my magic into the adult venue, do you have any suggestions on where I should spend the most energy?
I have found that I do not suffer from insanity... instead I rather enjoy it! : )

Poodle... the other white meat.
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Greetings Rua, and all...

Thank you for your post. You, like many of our students here at the School, are making a transition from working children's magic events to more adult venues. Here are a few thoughts that students have found helpful:

Instead of thinking about working for kids OR adults, think about ways to create a "cross-over show." I eliminated the term "kids show" from my vocabulary, and instead use the word "family show." If you come to think about it, most shows we do are a mixed group, even at birthday parties, there are some adults; in fact, they're the ones paying the bill.

If you desire to do banquets, cruise ships, and other more adult venues, you will have to spend some of your energy on designing a costume that will play to this crowd. You might want to leave the clown suit at home. Perhaps, the next time you book a show, mention that you also do a family show, that is more geared to families. Try to sell this show, and don't perform in the style of your clown character, or "talk down" to the kids. Let me explain my situation when I was starting...

Like almost every other magician, I began by doing birthday parties. I started by doing what I thought the kids wanted, and that was "kiddie magic." This was the kind of magic I'd seen other "kid magic show" performers do.... I really didn't like the feeling of doing this type of magic. My desire and vision was to do a stage magic show, to be one of those "suave and sophisticated" stage magic acts.

I started to perform this style of magic instead of the "turn it around, turn it around, children screaming" type of magic, and, you know what? The kids AND their parents liked what I did. The kids and parents didn't NEED me to perform silly magic, they hired me to do a magic show, a family magic show. That's what I did then, that's what I still do now. In fact, many of the top Las Vegas performers are "family show performers." If you look in the audience, you will see families.

Lance Burton- his audiences are filled with families
David Copperfield- who comes to his shows? Adults and kids. Adults + Kids = Families.
Mac King- family show entertainer.
Penn & Teller- ok, I know it's a stretch, but I have seen families in their audience, too. They even make a point to tell the audience that there are never any "cuss words" in their show....

I bet all of these performers started doing smaller shows and house parties in the beginning. Spend your energy working on this cross-over show, Rua, and who knows, we might even see you here in Las Vegas!

Yours in the evolution of our magical visions,

Jeff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
ruaturtle
View Profile
Regular user
Gastonia, NC
113 Posts

Profile of ruaturtle
Thank you!!!!
I have found that I do not suffer from insanity... instead I rather enjoy it! : )

Poodle... the other white meat.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Children Magic... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL