The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fabulous Monster DVD (Max Maven) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
This is a documentary of sorts, which includes information regarding the background of Max Maven and much of his show, "Thinking in Person". I finally had the opportunity to see this. It was incredible.

There can be only one.

Max Maven is an iconoclast (obviously). I highly recommend anyone interested in mentalism to watch this. Simply wonderful.

Sean
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thanks for the info Sean. I guess I've been living under a rock for a while. This is the first that I heard about this.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
You can get the dvd by emailing max thru his website.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Thanks for the info, I'm one of his big fans.....
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Its a tremendous video!
anyone knows the name of the effects that he perform in this show?

huge effects! thanks
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 18:56, Pablo_Amira wrote:
Its a tremendous video!
anyone knows the name of the effects that he perform in this show?

huge effects! thanks

They are his and not published accoding to himself Smile Maven likes to keep his working act for himself at the moment. However similar effects are in print, for example card calling and blindfold routines.

Juha-Matti
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Watched this the other day, Did anyone else find Max's personality to be a little arrogant?

Maybe it was just me or the way it was edited but I found myself not liking the way Max was portraying himself or how he was portrayed.

I enjoyed watching him perform however.

Just my thoughts.

Peace & Love

Matt
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Any news on the release of his dvd on equivoque ?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Max is the only person that I've met that deserves to be [or appear]to be arrogant!

I think Max himself has chosen to delay or cancel this dvd.On another thread someone mentioned that it was'nt up to L&L anymore.I could be wrong though.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Is it possible his arrogance has kept him from greater success? Max has an intriguing show and has been on TV, but few outside of magic really know who he is.
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 03:08, Matthew Shepherd wrote:
Watched this the other day, Did anyone else find Max's personality to be a little arrogant?

Yes, Max is arrogant. If you think he's arrogant on the DVD, wait until you meet him in person. I first met him over 20 years ago at a magic meeting. He wasn't lecturing, he just showed up. He didn't want to bother being sociable to anyone, which makes me wonder why he went. The meeting was at night and he wore sunglasses - inside.

Anyway, the DVD is interesting and worth the $20. Most magic dealers carry this.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Ted: It is very easy to confuse a preference for solitude with aloofness. Some performers are very private when off the stage; Sir Alec Guinness was a famous example of this. So I would suggest greater consideration before assigning such unbecoming terms to another performer.

I also find it of more than questionable taste to assign unsavory labels to other performers within a public forum.

I do not pretend to know Max Maven. But I have the utmost respect for him as a performer and as an innovator in our craft. After seeing his one-man show "Thinking In Person," my regard for him has only deepened. Far from appearing arrogant (as Matt suggests), I feel he came across as authoritative -- which is as it should be -- possessing a thorough command of his material, a mastery of performance, an impressive scope of knowledge, and a depth and vulnerability that absolutely charmed me and many others within my theater audience.

Although the "Fabulous Monster" DVD (created for Canadian television) captures only a small portion of "Thinking In Person," it is a respectful and invaluable glimpse of the acclaimed show and of the incredible man behind it. Until the complete performance of "Thinking..." is made available on DVD, "Fabulous Monster" may be the best document of Mr. Maven's performance available. As such, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 11:31, markmiller wrote:
You can get the dvd by emailing max thru his website.

http://www.maxmaven.com/

Latest news:
http://www.maxmaven.com/news.php
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Ted Squires
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Ted Squires
Quote:
On 2009-07-05 23:16, Neil Tobin wrote:
Ted: It is very easy to confuse a preference for solitude with aloofness. Some performers are very private when off the stage; Sir Alec Guinness was a famous example of this. So I would suggest greater consideration before assigning such unbecoming terms to another performer.

I also find it of more than questionable taste to assign unsavory labels to other performers within a public forum.

Neil,

Maybe your interactions with Max have been different than mine. Just because I think he's arrogant, doesn't mean I don't enjoy him as a performer and in fact one thing has nothing to do with the other. I thought Michael Jackson was a weird guy, but it doesn't change how I feel about him as a performer.

The story I shared above is not an isolated incident and know several people who have stated the same thing.
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Maybe its just me.

Im an arrognant person sometimes so maybe he was caught on a bad day, or maybe I took his attitude the wrong way.

Who knows?

Max does!!

Peace & Love

Matt
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Max has an atitude of superiority which seems to be his character on and off stage. It seems to work for him in some odd way. His website states how many books he reads er month, how bug his brain is, etc.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I just watched this and I don't think Mr. Maven came off as arrogant. Even if he did, one could argue he has a right to be. He's clearly a man of intellect, his persona and presentation are second to none...and someone made a @#$%ing documentary on him fer cryin' out loud! Smile

I enjoyed this film and wish it had gone on longer (It's only about 45 mins). It only seemed to scratch the surface of its subject. The narrator starts off wondering whether Mr. Maven is the real deal or a charlatan. Thankfully, this question does not really become the focus of the documentary. The movie does not reveal any secrets so you can feel free to watch it with family and friends. There is mention of Ted Annemann and Dai Vernon, so if a viewer is truly curious he/she has been given a couple of good starting points to begin research.

The movie does not discuss Mr. Maven's private life too much which is fine by me. I don't feel I have the right to know about the private life of an entertainer any more than than I have a right to know about the private life of my local plumber. The film does feature photos of Mr. Maven as a child which may be startling to those of us who imagine him springing forth from the womb clad in black, widow's peak and all, and uttering his first word on the spot: "Boo." Then again, maybe they just cleaned him up for family photos. Smile

There are interviews with Eugene Burger, Michael Weber and Stephen Minch as well as tanatalizing clips from Mr. Maven's show. The interview clips of Mr. Maven, himself, are the heart of this documentary. You will learn how one of the Marx Brothers, of all people, helped change his life and how his insatiable curiosity literally saved his life.

A hell of a good question has been raised on this thread: Why isn't Max Maven more famous? I see no reason why he hasn't attained as much (or more) notoriety as Kreskin (or Derren Brown in the UK). Once you watch the performance clips, you'll be baffled all the more. Don't be surprised if you're tempted to throw up your hands and say, "I give up! I'll never be as good as that!"

I paid about $25 for this DVD (with shipping). It is a professional production. Owing to its short length, however, I think this price was a wee bit steep. If you can get it for a better price, A FABULOUS MONSTER is well worth checking out. Here's hoping for a special edition which weaves the documentary in with Mr. Maven's full performance.
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
I bought it for $20 dollars when I saw his one man show. The show was amazing and yes, he should be more famous. But that's the name of the game, most genious's aren't recognized in their life time. ("most" is a figure of speach, not a statistic)
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
This was a fun to watch and a good intor to Max. I tought Weber's comments were the best and most analytical in regard to Max and his work. As to why he never achived the notoriety with the public like Kreskin, Dunninger, Derren Brown, I don't know? Maybe he spent more time publishing magic for magicians than working on his career.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fabulous Monster DVD (Max Maven) (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL