The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Okito style ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I've been working (where possible!) an Okito floating ball routine. I love it, but the trouble I'm having is with the balls wearing out. I'm making my own from polystyrene balls and a biro pen for the tube, I know, high tech! I do paint them though...

But I really could do with one in metal, or other material that the silk wont saw through over time. Does anyone know of any dealers who sell the Okito style ball? I can't find one...

Thank you,
Paul
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Try Owen Magic or use a Don Wayne ball and rework it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Have you tried going "old school" and trying to use a cardboard globe with gold leaf? Or paper mache'?

I have always wanted to try making one like that.

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Biro pen??
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 07:51, magicians wrote:
Biro pen??

Named after Laszlo Biro, inventor of the ballpoint pen. We can assume that the original poster ran the pen shaft through the center of the Stro ball for passage of the gimmick instead of using hooks on top.

One other potential source for the ball are large plastic Christmas tree ornaments. Get one in silver. Cut off the stem, and patch with a small piece of silver chrome tape. Looks fine from a stage.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Paul,
PM me....
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 11:53, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 07:51, magicians wrote:
Biro pen??

Named after Laszlo Biro, inventor of the ballpoint pen. We can assume that the original poster ran the pen shaft through the center of the Stro ball for passage of the gimmick instead of using hooks on top.

One other potential source for the ball are large plastic Christmas tree ornaments. Get one in silver. Cut off the stem, and patch with a small piece of silver chrome tape. Looks fine from a stage.

That's what I used when I distributed a floating ball thru Robbin in the 80's. Plastic vaccuum plated silver or gold.
The bigger ones are tempermental at the puntel point.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I tried making the paper mache sort. Back when the balls were made that way the hooks were used on top, but I need the V shaped shaft through the ball for some of the more unusual movements. A ball made of paper/card, or even plastic (judging by the biro) seems to get sawn into after not that much use. Remember silk is tougher than steel pound for pound, so they tell me! If it saws in it snags... not magic!

I looked at Owens, but wow what a price tag! Some day... some day!

For now I'm just replacing the biro... they're not that expensive... if I were clever I bet I could find some kinda metal pipe that I could bend... ooohhh... see you in a bit!
Paul
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
There's a Don Wayne floating ball up for auction at Martinka:
http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction......ID=15214
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I was in a California “Cost+Plus World Market” this week.

They carry a 7 inch round globe of the world,
after soaking the ball and removing the paper map,
you have a very lightweight black-plastic 7 inch sphere,
with a very small hole at either end.

With some gold-leaf and some work,
also a perfectly serviceable and sturdy Okito Ball,
at about the size he used on stage
…and for only $9.95.

My two-cents,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Nice find, Walt. Looks like I'll have to run over to World Market today. Smile

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
Nice -

Old school like I was talking about.

I'd have to go back and look again, but I could have swore that's how Spreer made them (albeit out of cardboard)

Keith
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Okito style ball (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL