The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is how you dress really important in being a Hypnotist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I ask because some older text I read say so, you have to look the part etc, but I see some great Hypnotist in very casual wear doing just fine...

Isn't the ability to hypnotise more important than anything else?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I used to dress casually in jeans and waist coat or sometimes just a tee-shirt.

But now I probably think its best to dress up a little to separate you from the volunteers on stage. Purely from a theatrical point of view.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Try doing the show in tattered rags and let us know how it turns out.

Wear clothing that smells bad and you look very nasty. Should be fun for you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
I wear a suit and a tie most of the time. I think you have to dress your personality. I just don;t have a jeans and t-shirt persona. Some of the younger and hipper hypnotists do wear jeans and t-shirts, but generally they are wearing $300 jeans with custom paint and stitiching, a $100 designer t-shirt and still most of the time a casual but trendy designer sportcoat... The overpriced jeans and overpriced designer t-shirt can look great on younger hypnotists or those who can get away with the euro-trash look, but for me, a nice black suit and a trendy tie does the trick....

And greetings from Prague! Off to Austria tomorrow, then Denmark and the USA on Thursday to sleep all weekend!

Richard
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
I agree that its important to dress according to your personality but there is also something to be said for dressing to establish rapport with your audience. If your attire causes you to lose that rapport, then it's obviously a problem.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Im not really sure what you mean by rapport. I think hypnotists don't need rapport on stage as they would off stage. They need to charge the audience with excitement and high emotion. They need to bring them into a space that is a pattern interupt from everyday life and expectations. Into a crowd state of "anything can happen".

Hypnosis for many is a symbol of power and certain expectations - that make doing stage work (especially for large venues) a matter of pacing and leading what has already been created with advertising, media, culture.

I don't think a stage hypnotist needs rapport he needs to be that symbol trigger or facilitator of that group dynamic mental and or emotional state.

Its not so much about losing rapport - its more about losing Autority and all that power asigned to the symbol. It is what Magick and acient ritual was about. Its the same process at work.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Like Mindpunisher I have experimented with the casual look, but only for college audiences. For other settings I try to dress up a bit. It has varied. I went through one phase of wearing multi-coloured suits (think Roy Chubby Brown, without the smut). Again that worked fine for the younger crowd, but not the older.
When I dress casual I wear black jeans (look better than blue) a good t-shirt, and a nice suede sports coat.
Last year I got a white silk suit, and that is what I tend to wear now. For students I pair it with a black or red t-shirt, but for other audiences I wear a dress shirt, cravat and white waistcoat. I stand out, and I find that helps. It is a show, and I need to look showey.
Another approach that works is to wear a very good business suit and a nice tie. Whether you decide to go casual or formal, you have to ensure that the audience knows you have made the effort to look your best for them. So everything must be spotless and unworn.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I would suggest that there are two considerations to determine what you wear: your comfort level and the venue.

If you're not comfortable in a formal jacket and tie it will show in your presentation and performance. Perhaps a turtle neck shirt and jacket might work better for you.

As mentioned above, casual dress for college shows might help you to sync better with the audience. In a larger show, something like the elegant tux or suit would be more appropriate.

If you're doing hypnotherapy, a shirt and tie with a white coat might be better.

In business at a large company it's suggested that you dress to the level of the people immediately above you. It shows that you should be moved up to that level. So if you want to impress people, you don't have to be way above then in dress, just be above them. This may be an appropriate consideration in dress style.

Finally, in a workshop Jeff McBride suggested that the best performers establish a personality--which includes certain dress characteristics--and follow it. If you want to work to establish a personality/dress style it may take longer, but eventually it will become expected that you wear those clothes.
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
What do you think you're doing when you "charge the audience with excitement and high emotion?" You're building rapport.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 16:08, billm55 wrote:
What do you think you're doing when you "charge the audience with excitement and high emotion?" You're building rapport.

that's not rapport because I don't feel excitement or high emotion in the same way my audiences do. Rapport means you both experience similar internal states. If that were the case I would respond to my own suggestions. A stage hypnotist doesn't elicit rapport he/she elicits highly suggestable states which can be leveraged through excitement even fear or group dynamics.

Before the audience turns up they have so much emotion invested in the symbolic and cultural branding of hypnosis that the hypnotist becomes the focus for all of that charged emotion and energy.

Something totally different when doing one-to-one therapy or sales where rapport is useful if not essential.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Don't mistake authority for rapport they are two entirely different things.
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
With all due respect, you are seriously confused, my friend.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 16:08, billm55 wrote:

On 2009-06-01 16:54, mindpunisher wrote:
that's not rapport because I don't feel excitement or high emotion in the same way my audiences do. Rapport means you both experience similar internal states...

My dictionary defines rapport as "a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well."

One of my trainers defined rapport as simply how much you like each other.

Nothing about feeling "excitement or high emotion in the same way" your audiences do or experiencing similar internal states.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
From a hypnosis or persuasive point of veiw the reason you have a close harmoniuos relationship is because you are experiencing similar inner states.

If you like each other then you are experiencing similar feelings.

People like people who are like them. that's the idea of matching and mirroring and various other techniques to get rapport. Once in rapport you can l
ead them into other states.

However the problem with rapport is it has a double edged sword. If you get into deep rapport with someone they might lead you instead.

Many sales people lose sales because once in rapport the client customer leads them to believe they can't afford the service or whatever false belief they client may.

If you and someone else are outraged or angry at something you will then be in rapport. Someone who is angry may be lead into a more submissive state by matching some of his behaviour then moving slowly into a more relaxed submissive state.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 19:12, billm55 wrote:
With all due respect, you are seriously confused, my friend.

With all due respect. I would say you are seriously undereducated on the subject.

>>>Nothing about feeling "excitement or high emotion in the same way" your audiences do or experiencing similar internal states.<<<<

Stage hypnosis has nothing to with rapport in the usual sense. Excitment and high emotion create suggestable psychological states. Which means your volunteers are ready to follow your suggestions.

Many dictators have done this in order to influence large numbers of people. Watch footage of Hitler or any successful orator to see this in action.

That process starts the minute they see your poster or decide to come see the show. Everything they have been lead to believe or construct about hypnosis due to films stories from friends and the media kicks into action. Many are already in a trance (or a sate of unconscious persuasion for those that don't like the word trance)before you walk on stage.

Not suitable for stage but one way to hypnotise someone is to get into rapport then slowly put yourself into trance and they will follow.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 14:19, mindpunisher wrote:
From a hypnosis or persuasive point of veiw the reason you have a close harmoniuos relationship is because you are experiencing similar inner states.

If you like each other then you are experiencing similar feelings.

People like people who are like them. that's the idea of matching and mirroring and various other techniques to get rapport. Once in rapport you can l
ead them into other states.

However the problem with rapport is it has a double edged sword. If you get into deep rapport with someone they might lead you instead.

Many sales people lose sales because once in rapport the client customer leads them to believe they can't afford the service or whatever false belief they client may.

If you and someone else are outraged or angry at something you will then be in rapport. Someone who is angry may be lead into a more submissive state by matching some of his behaviour then moving slowly into a more relaxed submissive state.

Well, MP, we'll have to agree to disagree.
I can have a close harmonious relationship with someone without experiencing similar inner states, especially when it comes to establishing rapport. In fact, I know a group that does this all the time. They're called "actors."

I like people without experiencing similar feelings.

Curiously, you seem to contradict yourself by saying that "matching and mirroring...get[s] rapport." You don't have to experience similar inner states to match and mirror, so it would seem that by your definition that wouldn't result in rapport.

I do agree with you 100% when you write, "Many sales people lose sales because once in rapport the client customer leads them to believe they can't afford the service or whatever false belief they client may." I was taught that's called "falling into the client's trance."
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Liking people doesn't equate to rapport. "Falling into clients trance" is rapport.

You don't have to like someone to get rapport. However once you get rapport even with someone you don't like you might find yourself liking them.

Matching and mirroring is designed to get rapport or kick start it off. However it can only be true rapport if it leads to true rapport. Matching and Mirroring IS NOT RAPPORT. Its a technique to create it. The goal is to create true rapport.

If you match and mirror someone you will experience a similar emotional state. The reason you "fall into someone elses trance" is because you haven't set a strong intention before hand.

Setting your intention will prevent you following the other persons lead once you are in deep rapport with them.
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
I think MP just likes to hear himself talk. It's a true sign of insecurity....of course, with all due respect.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I love to hear myself talk especially when I make sense. I think those that make one line comments are truly secure in the knowledge they don't have much to say.

But at least your thinking at least its a start..

At least now you have a few things to think about next time you prepare for a show. you could at least thank me since you are such a secure person.
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
Thank you for your outstanding advice. It really makes a lot of sense.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is how you dress really important in being a Hypnotist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL