The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Influences on you » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eugene Burger
View Profile
V.I.P.
231 Posts

Profile of Eugene Burger
Hi again Jeff: Since we spend a great deal of time together I pretty much know the answer to this question but think that others will find your thoughts most interesting: Who have been some of the formative influences on your magic and also on your life? (See you in Las Vegas in June!)
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Hello Eugene!

Thank you for this great question. I am always interested in learning where magicians learned their art and who inspired them. I have had many different mentors at the various stages of my life. As you know, I like to break things down into tidy conceptual units. And for this retrospective of my magical influences, I shall use our "four faces of the magi" model to put it all in perspective. I know that I will leave a few people out and that is not on purpose. I love giving people credit for what they have passed on to me. This is a difficult list to make because I've had so many inspiring role models in my life. Following are just a few of the magi that I spent many many hours with learning the real secrets of mystery.

THE TRICKSTER
My earliest teachers were books and they are still teaching me today. My father Jack McBride helped me a lot with the reading and execution of many of my fledgling attempts to soar in the lofty realms of magic. My first magic coach was a man named Hal Fields. Hal was a student of Cardini in fact he inhereted many of his props and he passed a few of them on to me. So in some degree I had direct Cardini lineage and pedigree...how cool is that?!

THE SORCERER
When I start to get serious about doing this full time I moved to New York City and started spending time at the New York magic shops. Here I was exposed to many of the top professionals in the world on a daily basis. I am happy to say that many of them saw some sort of spark of potential in me. Slydini, Frank Garcia, George Schindler, Lou Lancaster, Harry Lorayne, Bobby Baxter, and Jeff Sheridan were my friends and shared their magic with me. It was a great time to be a teenager in New York.

Also I had many non-magic influences. Alice Farley and Bill Barnes helped me a lot during the early part of my career. Bob Fitch and Tobias Beckwith came in to my life at just the right time to make a big difference in my career.

THE ORACLE
Now that I am nearly fifty years old I realize I have much much more to learn and look to people like you, Eugene, Max Maven, Bob Neale, Barry Richardson, Bob Cassidy, Jamy Ian Swiss.

THE SAGE
I am looking forward to being a very very old and wise man one day. We are all fortunate to have good role models like you, Eugene. I recently had the pleasure to spend a week with Juan Tamariz. It was one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life. Juan is an exemplar of magical grace and wisdom. He shares his love for magic from his heart with all that will join him at the table.

Thank you for asking this question and thank you to all of my magical mentors.
Yours in passing on the wand of wisdom to future generations of magi,
Jeff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Influences on you » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL