The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kindle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Any of you fellows got one of these and do you like it or not?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8034877.stm
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I don't listen to hip hop.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Now, if you could put your own files (i.e., like magic e-books) onto this thing, I might consider buying it. Frankly, I like reading hard copy (i.e., paper) and don't care for this any more than I do for "on screen" e-books. I print out my e-books and then read that hard copy.

The "powers that be" predicted the end of hard copy books about 10 years ago (can't remember the name of that ill-fated product) and it was it (and not the hard copy books that it hoped to replace) that disappeared. I look for Kindle and the (Sony?) version to both fizzle.

Time will tell.

Mike

P.S. That said, I do like my Zune and I've placed almost 30 gig of "books on tape" (audio books) onto it. A great airport diversion device.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Tommy-

Yes, I have one. I consider it one of the best things to come along in ages. About my only criticism is that it does not have an internal light for reading in low light conditions. I have recommended this to a number of friends and relatives, so we now have about a half dozen Kindles in action and everyone loves theirs.

My "SO" just upgraded to the new version, and it is really slick. Better graphics (although mine is all I need to enjoy reading), better ergonomics and more features.

I especially love the dictionary, which integrates so you can define words as they occur, and the variable font which, as my eyes get worse, allows me to read comfortably without glasses. Most popular books are in the $10 range, with older texts and some magic books as low as $1.

You can buy a book from your easy chair, rather instantly, or get the news, weather, stock reports thru internet. And, yes, you can have your own material transferred to your Kindle. Mine can hold several hundred full size books, and the new version many more.

I give it very high marks!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
I was going to buy a Kindle, but now I'm waiting for the Plastic Logic reader. It looks like a much nicer device, allows for more file types. I just hope they don't price it at limb level...

Demo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v226DYqlbHQ
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 03:03, Turk wrote:
Now, if you could put your own files (i.e., like magic e-books) onto this thing, I might consider buying it.***

Quote:
On 2009-06-01 09:25, mandarin wrote:
Tommy-

Yes, I have one. I consider it one of the best things to come along in ages.***

And, yes, you can have your own material transferred to your Kindle. Mine can hold several hundred full size books, and the new version many more.

Jim

Now you're talking. Might even get me to switch from "hard copy".

BTW, do any of these devices come without wireless? If not, is there a wireless subscription rate (Monthly? Yearly?) that has to be paid in addition to the base price? Finally, if wireless, do you also have to pay each source (i.e., like the NYT or Newsweek, tec.) for downloads of their periodical or, is that included in eihter the base rate and/or the wireless rate?

Best,

Mike

P.S. I am assuming that these devices each upload using a proprietary file syustem. If so, do any of these devices allow download retrieval from the device back into the original format (i.e., your Word doc or .pdf?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I have the Kindle 2. Love it. Fast downloads, inexpensive books, the dictionary and bookmark features are great, the capacity is big enough that I can hang onto the books I want to keep (generally nonfiction) and dump (most of) the novels. Just got back from a week in New Orleans...read all or part of about 5 books between flight time and layovers, including new hardbacks - didn't have to pack or store any of 'em.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 17:45, Turk wrote:

BTW, do any of these devices come without wireless? If not, is there a wireless subscription rate (Monthly? Yearly?) that has to be paid in addition to the base price? Finally, if wireless, do you also have to pay each source (i.e., like the NYT or Newsweek, tec.) for downloads of their periodical or, is that included in eihter the base rate and/or the wireless rate?

The Sony Ebook readers do not have wireless capability. I have seen them, but I don't own one. Both owners that I have spoken to love their Sony readers and don't seem at all to desire wireless.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I know someone who travels a lot, and he loves it.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-06-01 17:45, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 03:03, Turk wrote:
Now, if you could put your own files (i.e., like magic e-books) onto this thing, I might consider buying it.***

Quote:
On 2009-06-01 09:25, mandarin wrote:
Tommy-

Yes, I have one. I consider it one of the best things to come along in ages.***

And, yes, you can have your own material transferred to your Kindle. Mine can hold several hundred full size books, and the new version many more.

Jim

Now you're talking. Might even get me to switch from "hard copy".

Best,

Mike

P.S. I am assuming that these devices each upload using a proprietary file syustem. If so, do any of these devices allow download retrieval from the device back into the original format (i.e., your Word doc or .pdf?

Mike-

The Kindle is a wireless device, but you can turn the wireless feature off anytime you want. The wireless feature allows you to download books from the Kindle. You can also download at amazon.com from a computer.

There is no monthly charge for any of this, nor for many news sources, blogs, etc. However, most major newspapers and mags charge a fee of a dollar a month or so for a subscription. Incidentally, Amazon just came out with a larger version for those who enjoy reading newspapers and/or students. The plan may be to put textbooks on the Kindle which, even including the device purchase, would save students a bundle.

I don't have an answer for your last question. You might go to the "Kindle Store" at amazon.com and look around. Some good detail there.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
There is a lot of misunderstanding about this device. I had the Kindle 2 and now have the Kindle DX. Let me first tell you what I have on my Kindle now, it may answer some of your questions.

BOOKS:
There are 24 Novels, some classic, some new. These are for my wife to read as she is a big reader. Also for both of us, there are:
>The complete works of Rudyard Kipling (500+).
>Complete works of O’Henry.
>Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe.
>Complete works of William Shakespeare (127 plays & all his sonnets and poems).
All four of those “Complete Works” collections cost under $5.00 for each collection and are fully searchable.
>I have several (6) major reference books and encyclopedias.
>I have a subscription to the New York Times and my local newspaper.
>I have a subscription to Time and Readers Digest.
>I get 6 Blogs that I am interested in.
All the books and collections download in about 60 seconds each and are backed up at Amazon/Kindle without charge. There is No Charge for the 3G (Sprint) network that is always connected to my kindle (unless I choose to turn it off.)
The newspapers and other subscriptions are downloaded without my doing anything, day and night. People on my street have their paper on their doorstep by about 8:am, I have mine on my Kindle at 5:am, every morning, seven days a week.

Note: there is never (for me) any worry about running out of space, as the Kindle DX holds 3500 books.

The Kindle has its own email address that I can send Word and PDF files to for display on the screen. I keep hundreds of Magic information there.

About the screen:
The screen is not an LCD screen, it is like reading paper and can be read in bright sunlight comfortably (unlike a computer screen.) Just like a book, any lighting that you could read a book in, you can read the Kindle. I do carry in my bag a small light that clips onto the Kindle if I must read in low light.

After not being able to read books or magazines for about 20 years, I can read again. The changeable type on the Kindle brings anything I’m reading up to about 16 points. AND if I have something to do with my hands and eyes, but really want to continue reading something, no problem, the Kindle will read aloud to me.

These are just some of the things I like about this device.

Bob
PS.. There is a large dictionary on board that displays information any place you put the cursor as your reading. I can underline in the books, add notes, and so much more.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
It kinda sucks...

Unlike a book you can unfortunately, only get ONE use out of it if you take it camping and forget to pack any toilet paper...
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
You may be right, but for someone that is legally blind (like myself) it has been a godsend.
Bob
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Actually, the latest model, the Kindle TP2, has a built in dispenser...
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
So a quick question. You can't load e-books stored on your computer to this thing? You can only read what you download from Kindle?

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Can you highlight portions of text for quick review at a later time?

Edit:
I just re-read and saw that you can add notes, underline, etc.

Sounds like a sweet device!!
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2009-07-03 23:38, Voldemort wrote:
So a quick question. You can't load e-books stored on your computer to this thing? You can only read what you download from Kindle?

V.

It depends on what format they are in. The Kindle DX reads and convert most PDF files and all DOC files. I have lots of magic stuff and I just moved an eBook (PDF) from my desktop to the Kindle.

Bob
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does it receive the free 3G internet like I read here for emails? I am not talking about Wi Fi but free internet Amazon pays for. Really thinking about getting this. I want to be able to get and send my emails (bookings). Thanks for help!

DC
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
The only benefit is you could store a hundred books (well some large number, maybe not necessarily a hundred), and ease of portability. However, I agree with Turk on this one. I like real pages that I can flip back and forth, highlight, write notes on, etc...

And I like to be able to place multiple book marks and refer back to pages several chapters back. To my knowledge, you can't stick bookmarks inside a Kindle and grab a hold of them like you can with a physical book to flip back and forth between pages. With a real book, I can even look at two pages at the same time (like in separate chapters) by holding open the pages at each break.

Now when we can download books into our brains like in the Matrix... I'm all about that. I know kung fu.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 00:41, TomKMagic wrote:
The only benefit is you could store a hundred books (well some large number, maybe not necessarily a hundred), and ease of portability. However, I agree with Turk on this one. I like real pages that I can flip back and forth, highlight, write notes on, etc...

And I like to be able to place multiple book marks and refer back to pages several chapters back. To my knowledge, you can't stick bookmarks inside a Kindle and grab a hold of them like you can with a physical book to flip back and forth between pages. With a real book, I can even look at two pages at the same time (like in separate chapters) by holding open the pages at each break.

Now when we can download books into our brains like in the Matrix... I'm all about that. I know kung fu.

The Kindle and the Nook both hold well over a thousand books in the current incarnations. That's far from being the "only" benefit. They also have brand new hardcovers for a fraction of the price of brick and mortar stores, instant download (no shipping costs and no delivery wait for those books that aren't at your local store), variable text sizes, multiple bookmarks, point & click dictionary throughout your books, and more.

You can also highlight passages and add notes, and zero in directly on highlighted pages. But don't do it with an actual physical marker; it's bad for the screen.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Kindle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL