The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Diction" book test by Nathan Kranzo (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Nathan Kranzo's new "Diction" book test arrived yesterday. I like it! For anyone seeking a book test you can carry in your pocket for those occasional situations when an impromptu demonstration is appropriate, this is just what you're looking for. The salient features are:

1) can be carried in your pocket

2) performer never handles the book

3) book (a pocket dictionary) is ungimmicked so will withstand any degree of scrutiny

Please note that the methods used are not new but that does not in any way detract from their effectiveness. It is also worthy of note that Kranzo has meticulously credited the sources from which his test is derived -- an important nicety all too often overlooked in many contemporary effects. IMO "Diction" is certainly worth the $45 MSRP and has my unqualified endorsement.
Dick Christian
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
I agree with Dick's assessment. The portability factor is huge in my mind and the fact that it's an ungimmicked dictionary opens up many possible presentational themes. This is a winner if you're into this type of effect.
gunthard
View Profile
New user
Germany
86 Posts

Profile of gunthard
As the dictionary is ungimmecked, can I use another book, another language?
Gunthard
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Gunthard,

No. "Diction" is specific to the dictionary provided; however, the METHOD can be adapted to any book -- dictionary or otherwise.
Dick Christian
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
With the method, you can also have mutiple books ( 3 seems like a good number ) and have them freely choose any book. I like the dictionary for walkaround.

Nate did a superb job with Diction.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
This is a solid trick and very practical. Not much more to say than that!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Thanks so much Rich!

Make sure you check out the bonus test as well.

Did you get the Drink revelation?

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 06:05, Dick Christian wrote:
Nathan Kranzo's new "Diction" book test arrived yesterday. I like it! For anyone seeking a book test you can carry in your pocket for those occasional situations when an impromptu demonstration is appropriate, this is just what you're looking for. The salient features are:

1) can be carried in your pocket

2) performer never handles the book

3) book (a pocket dictionary) is ungimmicked so will withstand any degree of scrutiny

Please note that the methods used are not new but that does not in any way detract from their effectiveness. It is also worthy of note that Kranzo has meticulously credited the sources from which his test is derived -- an important nicety all too often overlooked in many contemporary effects. IMO "Diction" is certainly worth the $45 MSRP and has my unqualified endorsement.

Nathan Kranzo's a clever dude, so I am pretty sure this is good. I do have a specific question (if it is too specific, which I don't think it is, ignore me):

Does the routine address the point that this is a book the performer is intimately familiar with? Enough to say, ignore the fact that he (maybe) carries it around wherever he goes?

Referring to quoted post above, #1 seems to completely nullify any benefit of 2 or 3 in terms of audience impact (but I do not KNOW that, hence I am ASKING not BASHING but I AM using CAPITALS).

Speaking merely as what would impress me, I would be more impressed if any random book is used (compared to one provided by the performer), even if he handles it for a moment.

And, for the record, I appreciate that there are situations where this would work fine, just as MOAB works fine in some situations. However, since the portability of the book ("can be carried in your pocket") was stressed, it also stressed the oddness in terms of spectator's perception:

"Yeah, he had me choose a random word and ..."

"Really, that's cool, was it your book?"

"No, he carried it around in his pocket, but he never touched it."

"Oh, but it was his book, that he carried around with him in his pocket?"

"Yeah, but I looked through it and it was totally normal!"

"Maybe, maybe not, I'm sure you didn't look for more than a few minutes, at most. I wonder if he could do it with any book..."

Yes, again, I KNOW there are approaches to avoid this but AGAIN, it is because the "carry it in your pocket" was stressed that I seem to think it's downfalls seem important to those of us looking at this as a possible purchase.

And, for god's sake, don't write "If you are curious, just buy it" because that betrays true stupidity (there, if that offended you, good. If it didn't then that is also good. It's one of those things that reads just like it should online, lol).

Thanks for the review and if it is possible to answer my question without giving it away (and without a generic "you can present it any way you want" type response), that would be great.

Lem
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2619 Posts

Seems to me that the fact that we are talking about a genuine 375 page dictionary with approximately 50-60 words on each page for a total of 18,000-22,000 words and that an audience member chooses the page should allay any suspicion that the performer has memorized the entire book. I think it's a stretch to assume that anyone would be so "intimately familiar" with any dictionary that they would be able to tell you a particular word on any page from memory.

The fact that the performer is providing the book is a non-issue considering the fact that I don't know anyone who would bring a book -- dictionary or otherwise -- to a performance (or an event where entertainment was being provided). How often do audience members bring books to your performances? And if you are not engaged as an entertainer/performer, why are you doing a book test at all.

If you aren't comfortable doing a book test with a book that you provide, there are any number of book tests that can be done with borrowed books; however, most of them do require that you handle the book if only briefly. With "Diction" you don't handle the book at all other than to hand it to the participating audience member and even then you never OPEN the book -- the spectator does.

Certainly if the idea of this particular book test doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it.
Dick Christian
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
As far as I can see this is a routine designed for strolling close-up work. If you wanted to perform a genuinely impromptu book test at an average close-up gig you would still need to bring a book to use as audience members would be unliekly to carry one.

A possible out would be to point out that you have brought a dictionary because people rarely bring their own books - but offer to use any borrowed book instead if they have one. You would, of course, need to be prepared with an impromptu test if they do have a book. From my experience it's not as unlikely as Dick suggests (People often have a book with them on cruise ships, in their bag at restaurants ... etc).

The one situation where Diction wouldn't make sense would be a venue where other books were readily available - which is perhaps more common than you would expect. Using your own book would be suspicious in a private house for instance - and in British hotels it's very common for public rooms to be lined with books for decoration.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Talk about your new hobby - semantics, the study of the meaning of words.

Bring out your dictionary and enthusiastically point some weird words - obfuscate, perspicacious, floccinaucinihilipilification, etc. - then build a presentation around that. Make words the focus, not the dictionary itself.

I don't have Diction, so I'm assuming the above words are in there... Smile
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
See, that's a great idea, Mark, thanks for both understanding and answering the question. Dick Christian, PMed you about your um... less helpful but more revealing post.

Lem
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Hey Fellas!
Great discussion guys!

The fact that it fits in your pocket is nice but please don't feel its a must.

That was something I was pointing out for practicality purposes. I've presented this stand up and on stage.

For instance I performed it for several large groups at Hank Lees Cape Cod Conclave just over a month ago and it went over great! I had to perform in FIVE rooms FIVE shows back to back so having an effect that fits in a pocket WAS VERY nice for pocket management and reset.

The books are great to toss as well because of their plastic coating.

The size allows it to fit in your pants or jacket pocket which is where I keep it when performing my mental show. I don't think you need to carry it with you EVERYWHERE. But you could. : ) I don't carry it in my pocket during my daily life, but its in my pocket when I'm working. Those are just my own preferences.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm in pain! I ordered this from a UK online shop - and they've been waiting on stock for nearly two weeks from their supplier!

boo, and indeed...hoo....

sounds good - I like dictionary and thesaurus word tests...makes a little more sense to me...
I've asked to be banned
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2009-06-11 06:25, Mark Powell wrote:I don't have Diction, so I'm assuming the above words are in there... Smile

I'll soon find out as I've now ordered a copy direct from Nathan. Looking forward to see how it works and perhaps putting my idea into play.Smile
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2955 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Quote:
On 2009-06-11 17:05, IAIN wrote:
I'm in pain! I ordered this from a UK online shop - and they've been waiting on stock for nearly two weeks from their supplier!

boo, and indeed...hoo....

sounds good - I like dictionary and thesaurus word tests...makes a little more sense to me...

You should have went to the source! : )

Just let me know and I can have one to you in a couple of days. You never know what Grandpa might toss in as well... : )

KranzoMagic.com
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
I've now got my copy and checked it for my weird words - only 'obsfuscate' was in there.Smile

Although it's a common dictionary, I'd argue that a Chambers, Cambridge or even a Collins Gem English dictionary would be more recognisable in the UK, but therein lies the beauty of this effect.

You can transfer this to any reference book (thesaurus, dictionary of quotations, even a bible!) using the method provided. You would have to adapt one vital part but that shouldn't be difficult.

I can see some people not liking how you arrive at a page number but, again, that can be changed. Nathan, apart from detailing his take on the effect, has produced a fascinating potted history of the trick - a great example of how to give due credit.

I'll definitely keep this, adapt it, and (I'm sure) have a lot of fun with it.

(Nathan - please give us the skinny on the drink revelation!)
ovationkc
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of ovationkc
I have been branching out from the more traditional type magic (cards, coins, inpromptu etc) into some mental type magic. Book tests have always been of interest to me though I have never attempted one. I was wondering if this would be a good one to start with
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
If you are looking for an absolutely stunning book test, Becker and Earle's Final Flashback is ingenious, and always gets an overwhelming audience reaction. I often use this as a finale of a stage or parlour show.

Alan
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Becker and Earle are very gifted men in the field of mentalism. They have given us very good routines.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Diction" book test by Nathan Kranzo (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL