The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Tricks with jumbo cards (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ghageman
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ghageman
Hi everyone

I was recently given a jumbo deck of cards and was wondering whether anyone could suggest any good tricks that I could use them for. They are not gaffed in anyway they are just a regular deck of jumbo cards with backs and faces.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I would use John Born's A card at any number. In fact I'm looking for Jumbo cards.

Good magic to all,

Eric
liampower
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of liampower
Look up the Richard Osterlind break through card system, zens cards across.
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
If you are looking for sleight of hand, buy Jumbo Card manipulation by Cyril Harvey
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Fitzkee, D.: Jumbo Card Manipulation (1937), 33p.
Castle, F.:Magic With Giant Cards Emerson&West 1981
Grant, G.: Jumbo Card Tricks (1937)
Ravelle & Andree: Tricks with Jumbo Cards in MAGIGRAM magazine, Vol.6, #2 (1973)
Stanley, H.: Gems with Jumbo Cards (London 1959 and Supreme Magic Co. Bideford 1977)
Trost, Nick: Jumbo Two Split, Columbus 1974, see also Mentzer, J. :CARD CALVACADE I(1972); p.57
Walton, R.:Giant Card in Wallet in LINKING RING magazine Vol.60, #11 (1980), p.71
Zavis, W.: The Giant Recurring Card in his book Diver Deceits 1973
Riding, J.:Collection of Jumbo Cards Effects
Potter Master Index to Magic in Print, Vol.4, head-word "Card Tricks using Jumbo Cards" (21 pages! of references!)
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Shaun McCree's Myopia, Recommended as it is the single best routine I know involving a single giant card.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I just made a John Born deck for ACAAN using my Jumbo cards and it works so much easier. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Good magic to all,

Eric
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2968 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Just found:

"Jumbo Card Manipulation" by Dariel Fitzkee
http://www.lybrary.com/jumbo-card-manipulation-p-17917.html
DFHicks
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DFHicks
ACAAN with Jumbo Cards by Eduardo Kozuch
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
My favourite effect with Jumbo Cards is The Nemo Rising Cards. I disposed of the plastic houlette about 30 years ago substituting a home made holder & the card box, which was less like a magician's prop.

There is also an effect which works better with jumbos and it has many names.
Billy McComb with Ken De Courcy's was the first version I used (Supreme Magic), BUT this was with an ordinary sized deck. The effect is simple. A shuffled (by an audience member) deck has cards distributed from it and the magician names them. I THINK it was called Cabaret Card Surprise.
The second version was by Eddie Burke (Mr. E) and called Cabaret Cards, Similar idea but the deck is divided into about 5 lots then 5 spectators shuffle their 'mini deck'. The whole deck is then re-assembled and the top 5 cards taken from it by the spectators. The magician names the cards. Again this is better with Jumbos.
The third version is called, Giant Card Mind Reading. It uses A4 size cards and is by the UK's leading mentalist, Marc Paul.( see his lecture notes.) Same method.
Marc states in his notes:'However this particular routine can be performed , regardless of the size of the cards.With regular cards it will play to an audience of up to 150. If you use Jumbo Cards, it can play to a room of up to 300. If you use Giant Cards, as I do, the effect plays huge; anything up to 1000 people'.

And that guys is from the mouth and genius of Marc Paul.

Allen Tipton
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
G.
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of G.
Check out the Flocky Fingers Movie DVD, it has a nice effect with jumbo deck if I didn't remember it wrong. Also the jumbo homing card which can be found in Joshua Jay's "Overlapped", it is a fun and effotless effect to perform.
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
http://bigfoot-prints.com/jumbocardtricks.html This is older but it has same really good stuff in it.
Merlin911
View Profile
New user
Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
16 Posts

Profile of Merlin911
Hi ghageman,

Send me a PM, and I will send you several routines that I have been useing with good success. . .and easy to do also. . .

Dan
Never underestimate your ability to touch the lives around you in so many ways!
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Pick Me by Colombini would work well in jumbo, I think.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I used to do Hypnotic by Larry Becker. It's in his book Stunners Plus. It's a poker predition type of routine where you wind up having a better hand than the spectator and at the end of the routine you predict the spectators final selection.

And it only uses ten cards.
Self concept is destiny..
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 21:28, liampower wrote:
Look up the Richard Osterlind break through card system, zens cards across.

The best!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
A nice single jumbo card effect is Martin Lewis' The Big Switch from his making magic dvds...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
Ghageman:

In "Master Notebook of Magic" by Bob Wagner, there's an effct called "One Chance in 720" which works extremely well with jumbo cards. In fact, I've performed this routine several times, always to great effect because the whole thing seems so impossible! All you need is a deck of jumbo cards... no sleights or gimmicks.

The effect: "Six spectators each freely select a card. The six cards are collected and the performer causes them to magically arrange themselves in the one possible order so that as each card name is spelled by tranferring a card letter by letter, the chosen card appears at the end of the spelling."

TED
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
You could consider-Making up Jumbo 6 card repeat
or a Jumbo Card Warp works really well

Both pack small play big!!!

Cheers

-Brent
Ernst VCO
View Profile
New user
that has really been trying, but only has
52 Posts

Profile of Ernst VCO
I know this is an old thread, but, I turned my jumbo deck into an invisible deck. I know it limits it to one trick, but I like using it as a close-up closer(lol). I introduce it by saying, "And now for a really big card trick!" It gets a good laugh and stretches my invisible deck routine to about 10 minutes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Tricks with jumbo cards (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL