The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » TK pen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17930 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not used it in a gig yet, maybe next week I will - got a couple of small ones lined up this month...anyway - http://www.imentalism.com/mentalcraft/

oh before I continue, yes I paid for all this stuff in my order, paypal receipts are available to the s**t-stirrers if they so wish...

ahem

right - yes, TK pens, they use the white barrelled Staples biro, oh and you get a couple of little plastic "pedestals" to use if you so wish (dont have to)...you get two pens, for obvious reasons...

now, I've just been dabbling with mine this morning - superb...rather than just a random waiting time and one movement from the pen, this has given me one or two little movements and then a much larger/bigger movement...falling off the pedestal either away from me, or towards me...

I've had trouble in the past with similar (but obviously different) pens...even in practice, so I am very impressed after two hours of dabbling with this one...finally! no back up IT...

oh and as a side note, his pendulums are superb..i got a cured chicken claw one and its amazing...(it's going inside a small art deco box that I've been using to store my envelopes and other bits and pieces that my great grandmother used to use to store her tarot cards in)...

I'm tempted by the thought catcher lenses next!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you Iain for your comments.

You are so correct about the subtle pre-movements prior to rolling off the pedestal.

Most folks are truly startled by these little movements,and then when the pen rolls off they really react much stronger...because of the gradual build in tension.Also, when you allow them to decide on the direction of the movement...and then you cause the pen to move in said direction...it gets an even stronger reaction.[I sometimes do this as a 'encore'...stating "let me see if I can control the direction"..."which way would you like me to move the pen?..toward you or toward me?"]

Please let us know how the TK Pen Kit effect is received at your upcomming shows.

Also,enjoy the Chicken Foot Pendulum.The box you describe sounds perfect for such a mysterious object.

My best.
Rich
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I might hav to purchase one of these said pens.

Do they come premade or do you have to gimmick the pens yourself?

Peace & Love

Matt
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
They are ready gimmicked for you, and they are brilliant.
Easily the best TK/PK pen I have seen.
Great work, Rich.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17930 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I did a dry-run tonight...two cards with backwards/forwards on them...someone touched one as we all stared at the pen...
the
the pen ran backwards...everyone went silent...well, apart from a little bit of screaming; but that was from me in glee...

very good...great that it writes too...always a bonus...the pen lid smells of beer a little now, but hey ho..nothing a quick scrub won't cure...

definately the thought-catcher lens next!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Interesting. I could not get the videos to work though.

Candin
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Candin.I am not sure,but if you have 'cookies' blocked try unblocking them.Otherwise,let me know and perhaps I can send them to you another way,if you are interested.

Tom,thank-you! That is quite a nice compliment.

Matt...as Tom said,they are ready to go.Also comes with a 3 page pdf. of tips,ideas,and finesse etc.

Nice going Iain! I like the two cards idea.Good thinking! Of course I wouldn't use it myself without your ok.

Happy trails.
Rich
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17930 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I knew I posted this up somewhere...

anyway - I noticed Rich has an advert up here on the Café now, so I hope you folk go take a look...

cos you get two pens, I've been mixing this in with Spin, and getting some very interesting reactions indeed...and if Rich can answer here, if he'd do a version in a Sharpie...if that was possible?

I can't recommend his stuff highly enough though, and this
link

is by far my favourite pendulum I've ever owned...and I have about two dozen (and I think 7 from Rich's shop)....
Bartelli
View Profile
Veteran user
Belgium
322 Posts

Profile of Bartelli
Nice idea (the forwards/backwards cards). I had a pk pen once, but it failed on me to many times. I may consider getting this one. I'd love to try out Bob Cassidy's Real PK with this pen.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2815 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Rich's pens are wonderful, not that anyone will be surprised by that! The Cassidy handling has always been a favorite of mine and Rich's work with it just as you might expect. And Iain, though my Celt is my favorite of the 3 pendulums I own, the one you mention is the next I've considered ordering. I have a thought catcher lens and though more at the magic end of things love working with it. Mine is customized to work with The Fource, an extra bonus for me!

Another item that I think people should know about is his "Portable Dry Erase Kit." I probably have the name slightly wrong. This is a bit hard to explain and I don't know precisely where to stop without going too far, so I'll invite Rich to take over from here. Rich?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17930 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah - c'mon Rich..i know he's about cos I just ordered ANOTHER pendulum (the swine!) and an inside job for the hideout wallet...

the TK pen, my favourite is that with my one, I know the movement will happen at 5 seconds, or 8 seconds dependant on what I do with it...thats the real beauty I think, that you get two different "speeds"...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11906 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah, Cassidy routine rocks!
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
So the pin doesn't tip off but rolls off? is that correct.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thanks guy's for your comments an interest.

Iain..oink oink! lol Seriously thanks for your support and interest.

Bill..Yes,I am thinking about making and offering some of the portable dry erase kits soon.Thank-you for remembering!

Blake...What I believe makes my Pen unique is:When using it with the very innocent containers/pedestals in the kit:Several interesting things are possible;

1.The focus is brought to where it should be...on the Pen and at the center of the performance area.

2.The fulcrum area[hot area]for movement is about a quarter inch.That doesn't sound like much,however,it allows for 'long-medium-or short movement times.This enables the performer great control.

3.The interior of my Pen contains something that aids in transferring a regular tip movement,into a lateral rolling movement [when used with the pedestals],the direction of which is under the control of the performer[all explained in my pdf. that comes with the kit].Using the tall pedestal the pen often drops laterally straight down [very startling].[Please see the clip]

4.There usually is some gasp generating pre movement or tremors prior to the major movement.Some folks see it and yell out "I saw it move!" then when the pen rolls in the chosen direction...well that's where the strong reactions really occur.Smile

I hope that helps.

My best.
Rich Hennessey
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
252 Posts

Profile of ranpink
This TK pen is definitely an advancement to the original PK pen. I love that I can play with the timing of the movement and that it does show a smaller movement way before the larger motion of it falling. I actually really like the little pedestals/containers that came with it, especially the shorter one. Besides the fact that it really helps with gauging the movement the pen will make, It also looks just like something I would keep my medicinal herbs in. Smile I wish I had a dozen of these pens to plant around the studio offices.

I highly recommend this to anyone who uses the classic Banachek PK pen.

Ran
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 05:30, RicHeka wrote:
Candin.I am not sure,but if you have 'cookies' blocked try unblocking them.Otherwise,let me know and perhaps I can send them to you another way,if you are interested.

*cough cough* Cookies? Good greif. It's more like, "Need to install flash player" xD

Imagine not using YouTube before.. *shudders*
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you for your comments Ran.

Yes the containers that come with my kit can make for some startling movements.

Knowing the timing of when the pen will initially begin to move,allows the performer to converse breifly with the guests,and then go into concentration mode about 10-15 seconds before the first movements.
This is very powerful.

Then repeating [this is one of those few effects that can be repeated with no downside] the effect,but this time I allow a guest to choose the direction they would like me to move the pen.

See the clips here:

http://tinyurl.com/mnqmdw

Rich
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
So you must use the container pedestals that come with it to get the added movement vs a banachek pen?

Are these containers sealed, or can I store things in them and still use them in the effect (even with things in them)?

Also - I believe in having a reason for items - the pen is a given, its what we write with - but what about the canisters? DO they fit into the situation with a reason for being there other than "oh lets put the pen on this canister that just happens to be here"?

I like the sound of this effect so far, but am torn as to just how much more it offers vs the Banachek pen.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
632 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 20:13, mmreed wrote:
So you must use the container pedestals that come with it to get the added movement vs a banachek pen?

Nope, you can get the hang of it and use other objects and still get the pre-movement

Quote:
On 2010-02-01 20:13, mmreed wrote: Are these containers sealed, or can I store things in them and still use them in the effect (even with things in them)?

You can still use the effect with things in the container and can put things in the container.

Quote:
On 2010-02-01 20:13, mmreed wrote: Also - I believe in having a reason for items - the pen is a given, its what we write with - but what about the canisters? DO they fit into the situation with a reason for being there other than "oh lets put the pen on this canister that just happens to be here"?

I bring the pedestal into play without even putting focus on it except for "I bring this to raise it up from the table, check it out." I then toss or hand the pedestal to the spectator before the trick. They have no suspicions after checking it out. You also do not HAVE to use it, so your options are very open.

I do LOVE the Banachek PK Pen and still use it, but I mostly use this now because 1. you do not have to balance it as much, 2. it moves differently, and 3. it has never ever failed me. Just my 2 cents. -Matt Sconce
Like Star Wars? Want The Force? - Check out "The Gift"
http://www.mattsconce.com/the-gift/

Other effects:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/magician/matt-sconce
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
252 Posts

Profile of ranpink
What Matt said is absolutely correct and the pen happens to work really well with the technique from his Spin DVD.

Ran
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » TK pen (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL