The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Have all gaffs been created? (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Has anyone ever identified how many types of gaffs there are?
Is there any new gaff left to be created?
Without going into all of the variations of each, here is a partial, but not complete list:

Flippers (pro, gravity, magnetic, regular, copper/silver)
Sh***s (expanded, shim, non-expanded, sliding)
stacks
magnetic
steel core
double sided (heads, tails)
Scotch/soda (what is this gaff called? Also in dime/penny and nickel/penny)
copper/silver (many sizes and varieties)
Clone/Split/Super coins
3 in 1 coin magnetic
nested (21 cent trick, 61 cent trick, $1.35 trick, $2.85 trick, locking and loose)
blackout coin
folding coins
bite out coins
cigarette through coins
hooked coin
Siamese coins
gold/silver plated coins

I'm sure I missed a few. New gaffs keep coming out but they seem to be variations of the above such as multiple [ sets
Kelvin
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Sun and Moon coins (Sun and Moon reverse)
Hopping Half coins
Copper /Silver/ Brass coins
Copper /Copper/ Silver coins
Todd Lassen's Cerberus coins
Karate coins
Spy coins Smile

-Morten-
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Hi, Morten,

I didn't include sets, because they are usually composed of multiple gaffs (maybe not always). For example HH has two expanded [ and sun/moon. And sun/moon is like a non-expanded [ and copper silver. There are many more variations of the gaffs I listed. I'm thinking more of the physical properties of the gaff not the variations within each type.

I missed the karate coin.

I don't know what Cerberus is. Is it a combination of gaffs?

I know new gaffs and sets will continue to be created and I'm glad they will. This posting is to start the thinking process of "what's next?". "What hasn't ben done?"

Of course if I could think of a totally new gaff I'd become rich - considering it is actually a good effect.

We'll probably see more sets with different combinations of gaffs then we will see more gaffs that are totally new. There are undoubtedly many more uses for the rich collection of gaffs we have.
Kelvin
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:

I don't know what Cerberus is. Is it a combination of gaffs?

Cerberus is a double s**ll gimmick, the first s**ll being the silver dollar. The second s**ll is brass, and the last coin is copper. Actually this last coin is a c/s coin, allowing you to show both sides of the silver dollar when nested.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I think you're saying brownies are the same as cookies because they use the same ingredients...

Anyway, using your thinking some of the gaffs listed shouldn't be listed. For example:

Bite out coins and folding coins are basically the same.
Nesting coins are a bunch of shells and one c/s type gaff.
Three in one coin (TT and 3CM) are shells and a shimmed coin.
Scotch and soda is a shell and c/s coin.
Flippers are an unexpanded shell and folding coin.
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Perhaps it would be better to organize them into the effects that they can create?

John
The real magic is family!
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Thanks for the responses everyone. Of course it is a rhetorical question.
More gaffs will be created. But as I think of all that has been made already, I wonder what can be done next?
John's got the right idea. For new gaffs, think of a new trick that would get good response from the spectators and think of how a gaff could help, or make it possible.
Kelvin
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Stretching coins, zig zag coins, torn coins, eraser coins, opium coins.

KOtah
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
John Kennedy Super coin
and last but not least Brian Platt's Black Out

I've done a gaff derived from Mike Gallo's Siamese coins where the bottom coin is a [ and the upper coin is shimmed (mine is a Liberty dollar), this allows nice strolling effects: I call it the Siamese Family and it offers substantial additional possibilities to the already numerous ones mentioned by Mike Gallo's (with his brilliant handling of his gimmick). It allows very impressive 3-Fly without having to come back after the passing of th second coin...

Also yesterday, I went to Henry Mayol's new shop in Paris and he had a set of magentic shells figuring a $ size coin, an half $ size coin and a quarter size coin. Interesting possibilities came out during the discussion.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi LawrenceO - great idea on the coins across. I got as far as just the siamese gaff to get a sit-down routine with only one "touch" - but your extension makes things much better.

On Platt's BlackOut - it seems to work well with EG - can you imagine? Smile

Did anyone mention the laurie ireland multicoin type gaff like the one where a handful of pennies all change to dimes?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
How about a Slippery Sam?

Regards, Steve
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
History may teach us something here...

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
Charles H. Duell, U.S. Commissioner of Patents, in 1899.

-A
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Slippery Sam would fit under the Shell category. (sliding)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-06-08 10:38, yachanin wrote:
How about a Slippery Sam?

You mean the Slippery Sam Combination Coin set sold by Steve Dusheck... I wish he would either make them again or grant license to someone to make the sets again. Bob Elliot showed the two coin fingertips transposition around back in 1978 or so and the item was a big seller. The slider alone was the gaffus for us Ultimate Copper and Silver transposition item - which is in his lecture DVD and still available.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
The ShareBook "Geezer Miser" uses a gaff not mentioned here, and "Hooker" descibes how to make another one.

I have also seen a ring with a penny, dime and nickle attached that you rotate -- where does that fit?

How about coin fekes meant to look like a coin in the hand but are not?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
How about the Mirage set? Does it use any unique gaff, other than combinations of those already listed? I don't know enough about this set other than from what I've read here I probably want one.
Kelvin
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Have you "Fire coin".

-Morten-
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
This isn't much different than when folks thought it was time to close the patent office because everything had been invented. As long as people are creative and free to work on things there will be new effects and gimmicks. I bet there are gimmicks that folks have created that aren't being shared with the greater magic community. Don't be surprised that as some the coin workers get older that they will reveal some amazing stuff.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 00:02, marty.sasaki wrote:
Don't be surprised that as some the coin workers get older that they will reveal some amazing stuff.

aye, for as their fingers become less nimble they may 'reveal' more than they wish, and construct gimmicks and gaffs ans fekes to replace dexterity. Sadly, many look to the gimmicks first and never acquire the skill. Are all the gaffs enhancing magic, or simply catering to a "quick fix" and "I don't have time to practice" mentality? Many experienced posters on the Café' speak of the need to read books, yet what sells is "a simple way of looking like that other guy." Maybe the "50 post rule" should apply to buying gaffs and gimmicks too.

Kinda judgmental -- huh? so call these 'opinions'.

I just wish that every gimmick came with a mentor in the box. This Café' is the next best thing.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I have allways Said " Lurn your slight of hand frist! Them combind it with Gaffs to do stuff You just can't do anywhere as CLEANLY with slight of hand by it's self!!!"Gaffs should never be used just becase you have never put the time into lurning the right moves! And geting the Dexterity you should have to do good coin magic!!! Ok so that's my 2 cents! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Have all gaffs been created? (32 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL