The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke from thumb???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
I have tried doing a search for this but I couldn't find anything... Maybe I was typing the wrong words in ...If there is anyone that can help me I would be greatful!!!

I want to know if I can make this or where I can buy it?

Also what do you think audiences would think of it. I would be performing it outside? I would include it with a smoking glass routine!

Thanks for all your insight!

Anthony
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Hi what about this? http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=2390 it is not from thumb, though.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Instead of "smoke from the thumb", try "smoking the thumb" or "smoking thumb." You might also try including Fred Kaps' name in your search, since his version of this effect was a masterpiece of manipulation.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
I would recommend you Original Kaps gimmick or Paul Diamond`s gimmick. They are totally different. Gaps gimmick has to be palmed and manipulated from hand to hand and Diamond`s gimmick is in your mouth all the time.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Martin Breese (UK) has this gimmick.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1465 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
There has been virtually no work available on this...until now!
Bob Kohler and Puck have a brand new version coming out in a few days that covers everything on this classic effect. The set comes with everything you need...the gimmick, glass and a great presentation that uses a no smoking theme. I saw Puck do this at the Magic Castle and it rocked.

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of noland
Many years ago, when smoking and performing cigaret magic were still socially acceptable, I used to do a quick impromptu thumb smoking routine that involved vanishing a lit cigaret by tonguing it, then pretending to use my fist like a pipe by puffing on my thumb (the extended thumb was supposed to represent a pipe stem and the closed fist, the bowl of the pipe). Of course, when I would blow out a puff of smoke, the smoke would actually be generated by blowing through the tongued cigaret hidden in my mouth. Then I would open the "pipe" hand, showing it empty, make a magic gesture with it in front of my mouth and reproduce the lit cigaret between my lips. Obviously, this was just a quick bit, but it was surprising to the spectators and seemed to entertain them.
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
I'm looking forward to the new routine from Bob and Puck!!!
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
I beleive Stephens magic used to carry something like this a while back. Not sure about now though
Since we can never hope to understand why we are here, if there's anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action. - Martin Heidegger
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Scott Alexander is correct. My good friend Puck has developed and incredible solution for the classic Smoking Thumb plot.

For many of you Puck is a mystery. The reason is he's another one of the working pros who is always working and never hangs out with magicians. The good news is he's a great friend of mine and I've convinced him to release his deepest secret.

Puck's routine for the Smoking Thumb is called "No Smoking". His handling of the plot works in today's society. The routine has a lot going for it. First, it's not offensive even to people who are 100% anti-smoking.
The proof is Puck has been performing this routine for Disney for the last few years and they love it. Why...
There are two reasons. First, the audience never sees a cigarette and second, there's a nice surprise at the beginning of the routine that sets up the no smoking theme.

Another very important point is Puck's solution is completely NON-TOXIC. There are no harsh chemicals involved. In fact, you can perform the routine without any TOBACCO. So when you perform the routine you can actually control the scent. So the audience will smell scents from vanilla to cherry.

We've spent many months developing the perfect gaffs. Puck's handling of the props is top shelf and I can tell you that the work and gaffs are by far the best ever created for this type of effect.

The Smoking Thumb has a great lineage from Laurel and Hardy who created the plot to Ade DuVal to Fred Kaps. Now you can add Puck to the list. He's brought the trick to a professional level that surpasses all previous versions.

The product is just about to ship. It's now up on my web site and I am taking orders. The first units will ship next Monday.

Check out the No Smoking page for a full description and a movie of the performance. More pictures will soon be up as well.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22445 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Is this nothing more then the new electronic cigarette on the market that heats up some type of liquid that makes a water mist?

The smoke in glass is the 1st method that does not have to be held in the hand while it is being performed. Very good work at making it correctly for the performance.

Can the cloth/scarf be ordered without the 'No Smoking' symbol on them?
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
The new electronic cigarettes are not used at all in No Smoking.
I'm sure I can provide the silk without the logo but it would take a little time on the special order.

By the way the link to the product on my site is: https://www.bobkohlermagic.com/view-product.cfm?productid=62
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Looks very interesting. I do have an answer for the following, which came from Kohler's site:

Q: Is "No Smoking" the same as the Fred Kaps routine?
A: First, Puck and I believe that Fred Kaps was one of the greatest magicians we've ever had. His routine from a performance stand point is the epitome. But his methods were questionable. We've done a ton of research on Fred's routine but our research has revealed that nobody really knows what Fred's Smoking Thumb gimmick was. We've had many knowledgeable magicians insist that he used one type of gimmick or another but the facts are inconclusive.

When Fred died, he left a number of items from his repertoire to me. I have the Kaps Smoking Thumb Gimmick. I demonstrated this, and another smoking effect for impromptu close-up conditions of Fred's at the FISM Convention in The Netherlands.

However, I can say this: It is very simple. Fred told me the difference was the fact that he was a better manipulator than anyone else trying to do it.

The Martin Breese gimmick, with Pat Page's instructions is as close as any, and in fact, is nicer than the one Fred used, as Fred just cobbled up the pieces in his home workshop.

Remember, it is the presentation of Kaps's that is what really makes his so strong. Clean, simple, uncluttered -- pure magic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Puck's routine for the Smoking Thumb is called "No Smoking" ?
So if a smoker runs out of cigarettes and finds a silk with no smoking sign in the pack and after that smokes his finger and produce smoke it is no smoking ? Who and why keeps a folded silk in the pack just to show no smoking sign ? If you start that routine by taking a cigarette out and when you light it it changes in a silk with that sign it might have some sense. After you finish smoking thumb routine silk can change in no smoking thumb sign ?
I have never smoked in my life but I performed smoking thumb with Kaps (Martin Breese) gimmick many times and never had any problems with it. It was as unhealthy for me as when I come to a bar that has smoking and no smoking area at the same place.
As Pete already said it is not true that nobody knows what Kaps used. When I got mine from Martin I sent a photo to Pete and I think that Martin`s gimmick has some advantages. Martin was involved in Fred Kaps show that he recorded in England and he told me that Kaps had a small candle burning all the time in his treasure chest and that is how he would lit the gimmick. Personally I use 2 of those gimmicks and a body servante and that way you can show your both hands empty when audience expects that you have something in your hand. Michael from Argentina explains how he solved that by using invisible hand holdout on his DVDs.
Kaps was simple a great magician and his presentation was excellent. Many magicians would not make it half that entertaining if they were able to really smoke their fingers.
Last, don`t forget Carazini who performed smoking thumb during his cigarette routine with no gimmicks at all.

regards,
Bojan
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
264 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
There is some psychology in my showing a "No Smoking" silk before producing any smoke. We are in very different times then when Kaps performed this. When I first show the silk it gets audible laughs as well as applause from non smokers. This puts everyone at ease for what is about to happen. Now when the first puff of smoke makes it's appearance the audience starts to laughs then applauds once again.

A lot of time and experimentation went into creating this routine. I perform weekly for large audiences and have had the opportunity to try it many ways until I settled on what got the best response. It may make more sence magically to produce the silk in other ways but I work predominently for lay audiences and not magicians. I have performed this many times at the Magic Castle with great success and support from my fellow magicians.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Puck,

If we only need the cup & gimmick, is that available?

Cos currently we are using UGM & Xavier smoke in glass, was trying to explore other options...don't need the smoke in thumb routine with silk....please advise Smile
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
264 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Hi Joe,

You need to contact Bob Kohler as he is the one marketing this. You can contact him through his post here on this thread.

Thanks,
Puck
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe the smoke gimmick that was never discovered was Ade Duval's. I remember Jay Marshall saying how he used to watch in the wings but could never catch the gimmick.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Correct. I watched a film of Duval a number of times and never figured out what he was using. I'm surprised Jay didn't get NOSIER.

One current effect that has me baffled is one that I could find out easily by being backstage, but I love the effect and respect the performer and won't do it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Just stumbled upon this thread. I have published Ade Duval's Smoking Thumb routine for the first time in my book, "ADE DUVAL: SILKEN SORCERER" which debuted at the 2009 L.A. Magic History Conference. Yes, Duval was the first to perform the Smoking Thumb routine in 1939. Fred Kaps worked on the Magic Circle's Golden Jubilee show (1955) with Duval and it was there that Kaps saw Duval present the routine that later inspired Kaps to develop his own version. Richard and Pete are correct that Duval never showed his gimmick to anyone, however, John Thompson did see the gimmick once (by accident) which I describe in my book. I also demonstrate the routine in the book with current commercially-available props that I have modified for the Duval presentation. With all due respect to Fred Kaps, Duval's routine (which was done with patter)is the benchmark by which all smoking thumbs should be compared. Technically, it was flawless, and most importantly, it was ENTERTAINING.
You can find details about the book at my website: http://www.charvetmagic.com.
David Charvet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke from thumb???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL