The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Concealing a appearing cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi there!

I'm having trouble holding a cane (when still closed) in the hand without it being shown.
For ex. If I perform the feather to cane, I get to the cane, open its hinge, and now I'm holding the opened-hinge-cane with the feather. The cane in that state is about 8 CM long.. It just sticks out from the other side of the hand (and its silver - could flash from lights). Also, if I do some motions with the cane, whereas showing the back of it, then the gimmick could really be seen through the fingers.

This is true also for balloon to cane etc.

How do you hold the cane when retracted in a way that you could show around the object that's about to turn to it, without the gimmick being seen?

Thanks,

Simcha
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Try holding the collapsed cane diagonally - not vertically or horizontally to your palm. The diagonal position allows more space to work the cane.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Also, not all canes are the same. I have found that the Mahka Tendo canes are more compact when collapsed and easier to conceal. This is especially helpful if you have smaller hands.

Bill
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
If you use German canes remove that hinge and use a wire pin to hold the cane collapsed. When you want to open the cane pin will drop to the floor. If you still have problems concealing cane cut 2 cm of that silver tip. Juan Mayoral does that for his Flash silk to cane effect.

Bojan
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I use a silk to cane but my cane is not in my hand long enough for anyone to really notice. I also incorporate it into either my linking rings routine or my shadow box routine, so no one is really paying attention to my supposedly empty hand anyway.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Steal the cane from a body load when you have a silk in your hand.

Or throw up a handful of feathers. As the feathers come down for misdirection, make your steal.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-07-17 15:41, bojanbarisic wrote:
If you use German canes remove that hinge and use a wire pin to hold the cane collapsed. When you want to open the cane pin will drop to the floor. If you still have problems concealing cane cut 2 cm of that silver tip. Juan Mayoral does that for his Flash silk to cane effect.

Bojan

Long before Juan, I used a cotter pin to hold the cane open in that very method. The cotter pin was mounted in my jacket. When I produce the cane, I slide it off the cotter pin which was inserted in one of the holes in the furrile closest to the cane.
The end hole is for the silks or other items to be attached.
This has been in my lecture since 1977.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
The funny thing is I have seen Kozak uses a torch to cane and actually leaves the cane (or did) just hanging out the bottom of his hand. No one knows what it is.

However I have found holding it in tenkai grip helps as if you are doing cane from silk.
Official Thread Killer
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I have Fantasio's version and I find it easy to hold in the hand without it being seen. I do not have large hands by any means, and it doesn't fit too comfotably, but it works. I usually do a hanky to cane, so the hanky is a little misdirection as it is. Like stated before, throw up some confetti or feathers and then do the steal. Or simply go into the bocket, take out the hanky and cane, show it for a SPLIT second, then let it appear.

There is no reason to keep the cane in your hand for a substansial amount of time.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I hold the cane at the fingertips and allow the silks to cover the cane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0TLOGLT3S4&feature=related
This also allows me to have the cane end alongside the wrist if I want.

Click here to view attached image.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Simcha:

One way to provide cover is to hold something like a silk in your hand - this is what I used to do in a routine I developed. I had a formal neck scarf over my left arm, right about at the crook. My right hand reached over to my table and grabbed a pack of cigarettes with the cane behind it. My hand transferred the pack to my left (which left the cane by itself in the right hand). I immediately reached over with my right hand and grabbed the silk scarf from my left arm, so the right hand now has cover. I went on from there to produce the cane.

I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Ron
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-23 19:46, Ron Reid wrote:
Hello Simcha:

One way to provide cover is to hold something like a silk in your hand - this is what I used to do in a routine I developed. I had a formal neck scarf over my left arm, right about at the crook. My right hand reached over to my table and grabbed a pack of cigarettes with the cane behind it. My hand transferred the pack to my left (which left the cane by itself in the right hand). I immediately reached over with my right hand and grabbed the silk scarf from my left arm, so the right hand now has cover. I went on from there to produce the cane.

I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Ron

There is usually a "silk to cane" method so to speak for each cane anyways. The silk is pretty much built into the cane, giving a smoke screen.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Concealing a appearing cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL