The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Thimbles Funny Presentation Ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Hey Folks,

I love thimbles and I think they are extremely visual to the layman. I have been put off by other magicians and even friends saying that magic has no place for thimbles. I disagree and I am determined to come up with a very entertaining and constructed magical piece. I would like to construct the routine with as much humor as possible (not sure how much I can extract from thimbles) but a very good magician friend of mine suggested to a nice presentation which I think could fit my style well provided I have the confidence to present it. Basically the performer tells a brief story of how he got into magic and his master So sue me (or some funny Asian name...som yong guy etc) thought him a wonderful piece of magic with thimbles. The performer would then take out his sacred Japanese or karate kid bandanna in honor of his master and tie it around his forehead (there is abit of humor here as the performer struggles to tie it on his head due to the thimble on his finger). However I am struggling to get good lines and fluid patter for this routine. There are sections in the routine where a thimble changes visually from red to green, we were thinking we could have some humour built in about traffic lights changing colour or something but I am still not sure. The routine consists of series of vanishes and reproductions (different fingers) and colour changes before revealing 4 coloured thimbles on the one hand, kind of like shoot ogawas routine (short version on knuckle busters).
If you guys could provide some ideas, patter, lines, gags or any suggestions for beginning, middle and ending I would greatly appreciate it. This is without a doubt the most frustrating piece of magic I have ever come across where I just cannot extract interesting and funny patter, Ive given up on this routine in the past and would like to make better progress. I received some great advice from another magician Eddie saying that I should try to reach the goal of my character and play off the conflicts in trying to achieve that goal to create the humour.
Thanks in advance for comments.

Rob
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
"The one thing I learnt from Karate about developing finger strength is to poke my finger continuously on a board until it turns green" ... for the color change.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
James, I tried that some time ago. The board never turned green.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Its not the board that turns green its the Karate that turns green.
Wait WHAT@!! Oh I don't get it.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Magic has no place for thimbles? Huh? Who said that?

Good luck with your routine!
Joe Libby
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Rob,
On a serious note, your friend Eddie gave you some very sound advice. You need to be creative and with that will take time and luck.
Do a brain storm session with your props, think of everything that is in contrast with them and things that are not. Look for things that you find funny about them and build off of that. When you have a ton of ideas, tape record yourself saying them without the props, is it still funny?
Then try saying them to someone who does not know you as well as let’s say family, did they find it funny? Remember the bits that were funny and toss the ones that were not, when you routine your effect try and focus on the funny bits and try and make them flow throughout your routine.
There is most likely tons of one liner these guys who post in Funny can come up with but truly you know you and you know your performance style.
Good luck and just keep plugging away! You will come up with what fits your fingers,, I mean style sooner or later.
Let us know how it goes.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-06-12 18:04, Bill Ligon wrote:
James, I tried that some time ago. The board never turned green.

Oops, what I meant is the thimble turns green. During the poking the finger is wearing a red thimble and then turns green (thimble).

Good one, Bill. LOL!
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Thanks everyone for your comments...its difficult to make thimbles funny and keep the flow of the routine smooth and visual...but I'll get there thanks Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Keep working at it and you will get there. It is important to test out the materials on as many type of audiences as possible. Sometimes what we like may not be what the audience like.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
I think somebody (Robert Parrish?) once did a thimble routine, but the thimbles were covered in white bandage material and he talked about cutting his fingers. Never saw it, just read it somewhere. Could be made funny, I bet.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
263 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
That may have been my routine you are taking about since it was written up in MAGIC Magazine by David Kaye.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Check out Farrell Dillon's routine...it's posted in this comedy thread just a few posts down...he put up a video of his act at the Comedy and Magic Club. He does a funny recurring gag with the thimbles that's pretty clever.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Thanks for all the input guys I will definitely check some of these sources
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Couldn't find that Farrell Dillon video though?
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Ah got it cheers Andrewzuber
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Glad you found it!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
They are not thimbles they are large popcorn buckets for supermodels.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Theese shorts I am wearing used to be pants. and theese thimbles were cups, I accidentally heped my wife with the laundry.

Watch episodes of "whose line is it anyway/" there is a segment on the show where they give the contestants a random object and try to do funny things with them.
be inspired by that then get your friends together hav a drink or two. Do the same thing with them use several different objects. Once you guys get going. bring out the thimbles last. and either video tape the experiment or write down the lines that are said.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Say you are working with 5 thimbles. say I am a recovering alcohlic, I am trying to cut back. when I get nervous I tend to repeat things. (pull out a thimble hold it like a cup and pretend to down the contents.
then pull out the second thimble and repeat. pause for the laugh.
repeat a third time.
for the fourth pull a timble out like a cup and say hi I'am "hacketr2" and I'm thirsty." (say it kind of monotone like an intro to an a.a. meeting.
for the fifth just set it down. walkaway from the thimbles. saying I need to stay away from that stuff.

walk away from the thimbles then face the audience and ask do you know the difference between there (point to the thimbles) and here?
then pull out a flask take a drink and say 12 steps.

there is the beginning of your thimble act. then put them all away and do the thimble routine to music. make a fairly quick but slowpaced routine. every now and then act like you are taking a sip from a thimble as a "call back."
then if you could finish that hole set with a bottle production. that would be a great finalle cause it would fit with the alcohol theme.

that is what I would do for a comedy thimble routine.
I think I may have to go buy some thimbles now.
hacketr2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of hacketr2
Hi Ray,

Thank you very much for your kind advice. You have given me loads to work with here! I like the supermodel gag, made me smile. The alcohol theme could be a winner also, I don't actually open with 5 thimbles to begin, I start off with one red one....I do a few moves, some transpositions before visually changing the thimble from red to green (twice). I then pretend to put one away and it re-appears back on my finger..I steal out the remaining thimbles and change the thimbles into different colours in this action and as the finale I reveal the 4 thimbles on my hand...the closer is the same as Shoot Ogawas short thimble routine. I saw Farrell Dillons video and his line for this production of thimbles on the one hand is "Rainbow"...it's kind of funny....he later does a straitjacket escape and when one hand is free he produces the 4 thimbles again and uses the "rainbow" call back! Its good but I want something a little more original and a little more me! I think I could play to the alcohol theme alright...I am Irish after all Smile I am just not sure I could use the first few lines you suggested for introducing the first thimble? I also need a solid line for changing the thimbles different colours...I was thinking about using a United Colors of Benaton line to explain the reason for thimble colours haha but I thought then I didn't want to be politically incorrect or offend people! I am struggling with a line for the production of teh 4 thimbles on my hand aswell. I have all the moves down but this is a slow process as I cant seem to get comfortable without a good presentation! I also intend to perform this close up, so music would not be an option, unless of course I was doing a stand up or stage show! Have you any other suggestions? Thanks for you time and effort on this Ray, much appreciated!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Thimbles Funny Presentation Ideas? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL