The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Sized Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
***If this does not belong in Trick Coin Trickery, I apologize!***

I didn’t realize until talking with Mb for a while about is custom Chinese coin, that I have a fetish for half-dollar sized coins. I seem to love them and I have no clue why. I've used up all my search-fu and google-fu and come up with very little.

With your help, I'd like to compile a list of all the Half Dollar Sized Coins (and dollar coins if this goes over well). Unless I've missed something, a list like this has not been done yet! I realize there is already a compiling list of the gaffed coins but I am not referring to gaffed coins. I am referring to coins that are meant to be handled and are used only to differentiate between each other like copper/silver/brass.

Here are the requirements:

Diameter: 30mm-31mm
Thickness: Aprox. 5-6mm (not so thick that it can’t be used for basic sleights)
*Must be real currency or fake coins, but not gaffed coins (scotch and soda, hooked, etc.).
*Must be readily available to purchase, or fairly easy to purchase online, and commercially or privately made is fine.
*It can include poker chips, “Chinese” coins (i.e. Johnson, Royal, etc.), and replica coins.
*Replicas of real coins are only listed for rare coins that are valued over $25.
*It may not include very cheaply made plastic coins, kids toy coins, chocolate coins, plated coins, proof coins, or commemorative coins (because of the potentially infinite number and limited quantity).
*Gold-plated and proof coins tend to chip and wear easily, they aren't meant to be handled extensively, so this is why I am not including them.
*Single coins valued over $25 each may not be included, as this is too much for a single coin.
*I welcome you guys to help me in my endeavor and question anything compiled so far.

--Real Currency--

-American-

Half Dollars:
Walking Liberty
Franklin
Kennedy
Kennedy Bicentennial

-British/English-

Pennies:
Elizabeth II
Victoria
George V
George VI

- Chinese-
(There are modern Chinese coins available. I can’t find sources of names but I have a pending order with Larry Barnowsky for his modern Chinese coins he sells at half dollar size.)

Ancient Chinese Coins (There are SOOO many of these, that they deserve to be listed, but not each individual one. http://www.allseason.com/chineseantiquecoinsmed30mm.aspx )

--Fake/Replicas—

-American-

Replica Half Dollars:
Draped Bust
Capped Bust
Seated Liberty
Barber

-“Chinese”-
Johnson Products
Tango
Royal Magic
Sterling

-"Hong Kong"-
Johnson Products

--Non Coin-
Poker Chips: (Need a good source for half-dollar sized ones).
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
East African Dimes - real currency, copper, with a hole in the middle. $2 (Cdn) each. They had plenty at my local coin shop.

Also, Canadian 50-cent piece is the same size.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Thanks Fman. I will add them. Doesn't seem like it's going to let me edit the original post though. Ever so often I'll just post a new update.

Do you by any chance have a link?
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I find the pre-requisite surprising and too limitative: it excludes very nice and useful coins like some silver dollars, some European silver coins in silver, nickel, copper or gold...

Several beautiful coins are in the 37mm to 41mm size and if we use collectors coin that we cannot borrow, these are very nice and very visible by the spectators...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:
On 2009-06-13 00:24, lorenwade wrote:
Do you by any chance have a link?

http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-316.html
http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-4000.html
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4859 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
"Thickness: Aprox. 5-6mm (not so thick that it can’t be used for basic sleights)"

Is that a typo? Do you mean 1-2 mm thickness?

Larry
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
Why are the Barber halfs not listed under the real coins??? They're only about $7-8 a coin...
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Okay guys. Thanks so much for the input. Maybe my list is too limitive. Maybe categories would be better? A category for silver dollars, halves, quarters, etc.

As far as thickness goes... I did mean 5 or 6mm. There are so coins that are very thick, and some poker chips. But these coins would still be useful. I don't want to exclude them.

Barber halves are that cheap? I had no idea. I will fix that as well. Smile

I'm going to redo the list and requirements and repost. Any other suggestions and help would be very useful. Thanks guys!

Posted: Jun 13, 2009 3:16pm
Alright. I'm beginning a new list right now. The reason I didn't do this the first time was because I didn't want to make a list of ALL the coins one can find. I really thought half dollars would be the best category.

Lawrence, it seems you have some good input. I'd really like your help with this.

So I need some opinions on some questions from everyone:

*Should we also include quarter size coins? Like the Australian dollar?
*How broad should the coin sizes be? I don't think it should be so broad that we're just making a list of all the coins one can find.

What will be changed:

*Will include half dollar sizes and dollar coin size.
*Will have a separate lists for replicas and fakes (the ones made my magic companies).
*More broad ranges for coins that are close, but not exact like the Chinese coins from Larry Barnowsky (2mm larger) and the Canadian 50 cent piece.
*A higher threshold for the cost of a single coin. Maybe $30 or $35.

Medium
Diameter: 27mm-34mm

Large
Diameter: 35mm-42mm

• Must be real currency or fake coins, but not gaffed.
  • Must be readily available to purchase, or fairly easy to purchase online, and commercially or privately made is fine.
  • It can include poker chips, fake “Chinese” coins (i.e. Johnson, Royal, etc.), and replica coins.
  • It may not include very cheaply made plastic coins, kids toy coins, chocolate coins, plated coins, proof coins, or commemorative coins (because of the potentially infinite number and limited quantity).
  • It may not include Gold-plated or proof coins, as they tend to chip and wear easily and aren't meant to be handled extensively.
  • Single coins valued over $30 each may not be included and will be listed under replica coins, as this is too much for a single coin.

Medium

Real Currency
African:

American:

Australian:

British/English:

Canadian:

Chinese:
Information not available yet.

Fake

Chinese:

Pirate (Doubloon):

Replica

American:

Non Coin

Poker Chips:
Information not available yet.

Large

Real Currency

American:

Fake

Chinese:

Pirate (Doubloon):

Other:

Replica

American:

Movies:

More Chinese Fakes:

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/COIN_MAGIC_TR......nfo.html

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p1640/High_Qu......nfo.html

Both are different than the others I have found.

British:

50p Coin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_fifty_pence_coin
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In this size there is a 100€ coin with Carolus Magnus face on it. The head side is fairly nice computer engraved (I don't like computer engravings) and fairly soft, the tail side is not very fascinating... but you asked.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Lawrence, where can I find this coin?

Also 4 more coins:

http://www.magicboutique.sg/magic-castle......201.html
http://www.magicboutique.sg/magic-wishin......247.html
http://www.magicboutique.sg/palming-coin......494.html
http://www.magicboutique.sg/palming-coin......796.html

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 4:53pm
If anyone is still interested in this "Magic Friendly Coin List", I've made a word document listing all of the coins I have found.

Click here to view/download attached file.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......List.doc
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
Gweedo
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gweedo
I checked out the Canadian Half dollar (newer ones) and they seem to be quite a bit smaller than the US half.
Paul
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Hey Paul,

I was going by the information on Wikipedia:

Canadian Half Dollar: 27.13mm Diameter

US Half Dollar: 30.61mm Diameter

That leaves a 3.48mm difference. While it is a different size, it's not significant. Was the one you encountered a LOT smaller, or does this seem right to you?

Also of note:

Years Weight Diameter/Shape Composition
2000–present 6.9 g 27.13 mm 93.25% steel, 4.75% copper, 2.0% nickel
1968–2000 8.10 g 27.13 mm 99.9% nickel
1937–1967 11.66 g 29.72 mm 80% silver, 20% copper
1920–1936 11.62 g 29.72 mm 80% silver, 20% copper
1870–1919 11.62 g 29.72 mm 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper

Some of them are closer in size, while the newer ones are not. My goal is to group similar sizes.

Would it be beneficial to put the diameter size in parethesis?
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
manreb
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of manreb
You should definitely include the Australian Kangaroo Penny.
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Okay, cool. I will look it up and add it to the list. Smile

Thanks for the suggestion, manreb.
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Don't miss Belgian silver... Belgian 5f coins are beautiful and a mm or so larger than a Morgan. Great size, weight and amazing design.

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Lorenwade, you are doing an excellent job with that list. Really appreciate the effort. Thank you!
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Have a look a http://www.xavierbelmont.com/ and click into the "Piéces" section - shows a list and pics of some great real silver coins.

note: Belgian 5f are 1mm smaller not larger than a morgan
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Lithyem, thanks so much for the suggestion and the site. I'm going to scroll through it and check it out.

JamesTong, thanks so much for the encouragement, I'm glad someone is getting somehting out of this.

Just out of curiosity guys, would it be benificial to list the size of the coin AND the metal type along with the coin?

Thanks again guys!
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
I think it would make sense if you are putting the time into this list to note the metal as well.. would only make the list more useful I'd say
Thanks!
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Alright. Sounds good, thanks for the suggestions and help.

I might as well. The next update with make the file a lot bigger guys, but I think it'll be of benefit to include all the information. I'm possibly thinking about making a web page out of it and make it that much more organized.

We'll see though!
Looking for a coin?
The Magician's Coin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Half Dollar Sized Coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL