The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Silver Kennedy Shell Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a Silver Kennedy Shell set but not sure who to do business with. I've had a Johnson shell in the past and that was pretty good but I'm looking for a real silver set. I checked out Schoolcraft and Lassen's sites, both look like the they do really great work. Who would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
Wow. Don't bring up the Schoolcraft vs Lassen debate! Honestly though, you're going to get a lot of differing opinions on that here in the café. If you are looking for a new set, I'd just suggest contacting both of them personally. Try calling them; email doesn't always work. Also keep in mind that with Lassen, you may have to wait a bit before he can make them. Schoolcraft is generally a bit cheaper if that is important.

If you are looking for a used set, wait till you get 50 posts, and check the protected selling and buying forums. That's a great resource!
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I have a Schoolcraft set, and I think it's great - couldn't be happier with it. Haven't actually seen a Lassen one in person, so I can't compare.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I have a Schoolcraft set and the fit is fantastic.
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Really do we need to have another schoolcraft vs lassen thread? There is a big thread in this forum rating coin gaff makers... its even on the first page of this forum!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=202&25
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I would also add that Johnson makes a very nice silver shell, although getting one may take a little work. not quite as nice as a custom shell but works fine.
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
Quote:
On 2009-06-15 11:52, jordanl wrote:
I would also add that Johnson makes a very nice silver shell, although getting one may take a little work. not quite as nice as a custom shell but works fine.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I bought a Johnson silver shell (60 bucks)that is perfect. I went on Ebay and bought several 64's, and the shell fits all but one. Add to that my Schoolcraft flipper, and I think I got a great deal on a great set of coins.
And, if I might add, I am really looking forward to getting some Lassens down the road.... more than I can afford at the moment, but certainly worth the investment.
Krintz
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I guess I don't know who made it, but I bought a 64 shell 28 years ago. I never used it until a couple of months ago. I went to a local coin shop and was able to match some Kennedy halves to it perfectly. This shell has total coverage, and works great. If you find a shell that is nice, you can probably go to a coin shop and find matching coins! It's important that the coins match in wear, and that they are sized to come out of the shell properly.
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Lithyem,
Really, do we need to have someone dictate what kind of thread they should post on this forum? C'mon dude, really. And thanks for posting that link to TWOCAN'S thread, really good stuff.

Camisboss, thanks for the good advice. And you're right, I did try emailing both Lassen and Schoolcraft but no response as of yet. I think I'll try to call 'em. I'm looking for a top quality Silver Kennedy Shell set, something I'm going to feel real good about owning and performing with. By the sounds of it, both these gentlemen produce some really fine work. I was hoping to hear from anyone who might happen to own shell sets from both of these craftsmen.

Many thanks for all of your suggestions/comments. Keep 'em coming please!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I have a Lassen Expanded Shell set and love it a lot.

HERE is a Johnson Magic '64 Kennedy Expanded Shell. Only $52.25
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Mrmagik68 - What exactly did I dictate? Unless my definition differs from yours, I posed the question whether this subject needed to be fielded when the exact same information was to be found in a thread on the first page of this topic. AND I offered the link to it rather than say "use the search feature".
Michael
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Michael,
It's all good my brother. Again, thanks for posting that thread. I found it to be very informative.

Magicman,
I could be wrong but I don't think that Johnson shell advertised for $52 is real silver. The coin is dated '64 but that's an awful low price for a silver shell. Thanks!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I would say that that shell is real silver for sure...

I got a bunch of silver shells from them years ago for 45.

You can get them at the magic warehouse for 60...
Shawn.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Mrmagik68

The Johnson '64 shell is real silver.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. At $52 I just didn't think the Johnson shell would be made from a real silver coin. So, if I were to purchase a customer silver shell from say, Lassen or Schoolcraft, and I were to compare it to a Johnson silver shell, what do you guys think would be the difference between the shells? Is it the way the shell covers the coin? Will the Johnson not fit all coins, etc., etc.,? Again, many thanks!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
The difference will be the fit and finish. Generally you would get a set of coins with a shell that fits them perfectly. Generally an unexpanded or re-milled set will have the absolute most perfect fit although a well matched expanded set will be ***ed perfect too. The idea with better fit is that the coin doesn't move around inside the shell therefore you are freer to handle the coin in a more casual manner. I have sets from the good craftsmen and all of them allow the shelled coin to be tossed in the air without un-shelling (dh-shelling?), and land silently.

The Johnson one will fit MOST coins - which is how it is designed, As most coins are actually not perfectly round the Johnson shell will be a little wider to accommodate this. One the other hand - the Lassen and Schoolcraft shells will probably NOT fit most coins as they are machined with stricter tolerances.

I have a Johnson Morgan shell that I used for years just fine before I got my other ones... the more precise shells are so ***ed nice to use it would be impossible to go back!

Hope that helps.
Michael
sidestealer
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of sidestealer
Yeah, I too bought a '64 shell from johnson's about 10 years ago. The price was $45 and a walker was $50 then. Both did its job but the shell was loose on the coins. I have since upgraded to a Lassen set and I'm very happy with it. If money is no object then that's my recommendation.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Michael,
Great info., thanks! I've made my decision. I'm going with a custom set. Will probably go with Schoolcraft first then maybe get a set from Lassen, down the road. I tried ordering that Johnson Silver Shell directly from the Johnson company yesterday and they replied that they're not in stock and will probably be available in 3-4 months! Thanks again everyone, great advice!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Sorry mrmagik68. I contacted Kathy Lawton and Johnson Products last Tuesday and bought the last Silver Kennedy e] they had. They do have 1964 Folding Half, 1964 Cigarette-thru-Half and 1964 Two-Headed/Two-Tailed Coins left. They also have some Walking Liberty e [ left.
Regards,
Silverthorne
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Oh, and the price was $52.25 and it is silver.
Regards,
Silverthorne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Silver Kennedy Shell Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL