The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Bad time for a cop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ghostgaff
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of ghostgaff
A few months ago I heard on the news that a man was arrested, but the poliece didn't know he was an escapologist, and when they stopped to get some gas for the car, he got out of the handcuffs and tried to get away!
"The prince of darkness is a gentleman"-
"All the world's a stage, and the people merley actors."-
Shakespeare
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Did they shoot at you, or just pistol whip you? We had a long thread about the idea of this a while back. We all concluded that what you did probably wasn't too smart.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cliff - I don't think it was Mr "ghostgaff" that did this just he heard it on the news!

Of course if I were a reporter (thank goodness I'm not there would be twice as many typos in the paper! OR news braodcast! Can you have typos in news broadcasts?) I would say that any bad dude that got out of cuffs was an "excape arist" they use it to mean anyone who got out of something! I heard the term used for something a while ago that was NOT an escape of any sort - the person just got lucks - somehting like a light fitting dropped off their ceiling and missed them.

You know how press are (and aren't we glad they are like it Smile makes our life easier!)
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
This also happened in 1998 in Tampa, FL. The man killed 2 detectives with their own 9mm, and a highway patrolman before eventually shooting himself.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Locally, back in the 80s, a group in a transport van broke their handcuffs by jamming the swivel lug into the hole of the seatbelt latch and levering.

I wrote a letter to the editor suggesting the police use hinged cuffs for transport use.

Follow-up inquiry netted me a front-page feature article in the Sunday paper.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
selphie_trabia
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of selphie_trabia
I remember ages ago, when I was still in Secondary School, a policeman came for a demonstration and had me onstage to show how riot tags (those zippy plastic things), were inescapable.

I managed to get out of it while he was facing everyone else and talking, using my school badge as a lever to lower the plasticky bit that uh, clips on to the other plasticky bit.

I don't know the technical terms for them, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

The policeman managed to recover from the surprise by saying something like, "Normally, in a riot situation, we'd use those in a long string, so you'd be tied to someone else. It'd be more difficult to escape from that.*

Mind you, if I was actually caught by the police for doing something illegal (which I wouldn't be doing), I wouldn't want to incriminate myself any further by escaping!
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Texas Penal Code § 9.52. PREVENTION OF ESCAPE FROM CUSTODY. The use of
force to prevent the escape of an arrested person from custody is
justifiable when the force could have been employed to effect the
arrest under which the person is in custody, except that a guard
employed by a correctional facility or a peace officer is justified
in using any force, including deadly force, that he reasonably
believes to be immediately necessary to prevent the escape of a
person from the correctional facility.

So, in Texas, if you attempt to escape from an arrest, AND you don't have a weapon, you will probably just get tackled and 'secured'.

If you attempt to escape from jail/prison, you will be shot, probably killed, even if you are running away, flinging your empty hands in the air, and screaming 'I'm unarmed, don't shoot me.'.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Imagine the police arrest you (for any reason) and you have a handcuff key (or pick or shim or ...) in your pocket, should you tell the officer right away so there is no misunderstanding ?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Any time you are arrested, always tell the cop up front about anything you are carrying. Even if it is for nothing, he will appreciate your honesty, and save you grief later.
Magic is like Science,
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
If you have something specifically designed to defeat restraints, then yes. Anything that an officer might consider a threat to the officer, the suspect, or the public should be probably be disclosed. In some states, it's illegal to have a handcuff key in your possession after you are in custody. But you don't have to say, "I have a bobby pin, a staple, and a banana that I can pick these cuffs with, officer."

Not sure about the laws in Brussels.

In the US, once you're under arrest, disclose any items to the officer, invoke your right to counsel, and then stop talking (invoking your right to silence.)

Of course, all of the members in our escape artist community here support our law enforcement officers and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize their safety. We also try and follow all the laws of our respective states/countries so that we can avoid this issue to begin with.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
[quote]On 2009-06-18 16:02, Doc Auchter wrote:
But you don't have to say, "I have a bobby pin, a staple, and a banana that I can pick these cuffs with, officer."

Bananas don't work as well as squash, IMO.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I once tried to use a banana to pick a handcuff; it turned into a 'squash.'
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I think anybody who can get out of cuffs has fantasized about doing this in that type of situation. I didn't realize anyone was dumb enough to actually try it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
[quote]On 2009-06-18 17:33, jay leslie wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-18 16:02, Doc Auchter wrote:
But you don't have to say, "I have a bobby pin, a staple, and a banana that I can pick these cuffs with, officer."

Bananas don't work as well as squash, IMO.

May not be good for picking handcuffs - but have seen them used as a hammer! (post if you know how)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes Dave, I have seen that demo too.
Magic is like Science,
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Bannana as a hammer ? to hammer what ? a nail ?

Just freeze it before Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh you saw it too!

They freeze it with well normally liquid nitrogen. Then yep a nail will be hammered.......

or you could ferment the fruit make a coctail with some high alcohol content and get hammered that way as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Bad time for a cop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL